Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia in CTN

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Tbh that was rather harsh but I was considering the context in which you said that, justifying saying something controversial and possibly offensive in order to get attention because after all that's what speech is for.

I do still consider the statement inherently wrong though. you may need attention in order to be heard but attention will be focused on the speaker because of what he may be talking about not simply because he's making vocal sounds. If the speech is without substance attention will be gone long before the speech is over and IMO causing controversy or offence is a poor substitute for substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

humbert wrote:
    IMO causing controversy or offence is a poor substitute for substance.

firstly what does "IMO" mean? havent been posting here for long so i dont get the lingo.

who has perpusely causing offence?

Dontico wrote:
    firstly what does "IMO" mean? havent been posting here for long so i dont get the lingo.

who has purposely causing offence?

In My Opinion. I didn't say anyone purposely caused offence :confused:

humbert wrote:
    justifying saying something controversial and possibly offensive in order to get attention because after all that's what speech is for.

this i dont understand.

ofense wasnt intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Well I watched the show, God Blaine Broomfield is a total gobshite. I thought it was stupid and cliquy the way you were put into the show Don.

Indeed. He's the only person we've expelled from our society to my knowledge.

• Advertisement

Dontico wrote:
    it wasnt a plan. it just conveintly happened. the guy who said it didnt even remember saying it.
    Your justification of this on the grounds that the function of speech is to get attention is what I object to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

ignorance is not a justification.

Take a district court case for example
    "ah yer honor, i didnt know it was i'leeegal to be sellin pills in de'club"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Oh god this thread is a lolocaust. Quality entertainment. I can't believe Dontico is still defending this and even claiming to be pretty happy that it happened.

Pythia wrote:

oh yeah thats who he is. i remember his charm!

Grimes wrote:
    ignorance is not a justification.

Take a district court case for example
    "ah yer honor, i didnt know it was i'leeegal to be sellin pills in de'club"

since when is it illegal to say fag?

• Advertisement

Oh god this thread is a lolocaust. Quality entertainment. I can't believe Dontico is still defending this and even claiming to be pretty happy that it happened.

i defend anyones right to say what they want and not have to hounded by the PC police.

i'm happy that it made alot of people watch the show. its not my show. but still makes me happy.

Dontico wrote:
    since when is it illegal to say fag?

nobody has suggested it is and deliberately misinterpreting someone's argument like that is a bit silly.

Oh and you're succeeding in getting people to watch that show at the expense of CTN's reputation.

humbert wrote:
    nobody has suggested it is and deliberately misinterpreting someone's argument like that is a bit silly.

Oh and you're succeeding in getting people to watch that show at the expense of CTN's reputation.

he was comparing saying "fag" to selling pills. that was "a bit silly".

the people who run CTN dont have direct contol over the shows. despite what the observer says. pam does run every show. only one i can think of that she is directly involved with.

Dontico wrote:

hyperbole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Dontico wrote:

No he wasn't. He was illustraing the point that ignorance is not a defence.
    If you want to challenge that point you'll have to move away from silly arguments.

Dontico wrote:
    i defend anyones right to say what they want and not have to hounded by the PC police.

then you sir are a ****ing bint

Grimes wrote:
    then you sir are a ****ing bint

whats a bint?

theres a huge difference between saying something that may cause offense and directly saying soemthing to piss someone off.

i've had racial surs shouted at me before, it wasnt what they were saying that was pissing me off. it was how they were saying it and thier attitude. i dont like unfriendly people.

He's joking and we're getting off topic. For me it's not that that statement was going to cause offence but instead the immaturity and amateurishness of using language like that. It's not suitable for an adult to use language like that and definitely not suitable for a television production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Pythia wrote:

Really what was that for?

Chakar wrote:
    Ok I know it isn't my place but ffs chaker, PM!! what on earth has your insatiable nosiness got to do with this thread. Three strikes comes to mind.

Oh and for what it's worth I do see the hypocrisy here.

• Advertisement

edit : deserves its own thread

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

humbert wrote:
    Ok I know it isn't my place but ffs chaker, PM!! what on earth has your insatiable nosiness got to do with this thread. Three strikes comes to mind.

Oh and for what it's worth I do see the hypocrisy here.
    Agreed. This thread is one of those on my "dangerously close to being locked" list.

Well, I don't actually have a list. That would be a bit weird. But you get my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

They said today on 104fm that any man who went to see Boyzone would "look gay". Thats just shocking!

I extend that to women too... YOU HEAR THAT DAJAFFA??

Chakar wrote:

for vast amounts of uncoolness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Grimes banned for personal abuse for...eh...2 days.

It would have been one except you made me open IE.

i bought a rainbow week t-shirt today that says on the back "homophobia is gay". it made me chuckle.

Scraggs wrote:
    Where? I know someone who'd really like one!

at lgbt stuff going this week.

Advertisement