Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD DVD add on player

• 13-02-2007 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Has anybody made a purchase off this? Looking for people's reviews on it? Looking to make a purchase and use it in a media centre pc. You can use the drive as a regular 5.1/2 inch optical drive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Few bits about the HD drive n pcs...
    I bought one, and started hacking it. It is too wide initially to mount internally, mainly because it has these plastic mounting brackets on either side. I broke out my trusty Dremel and took them off. The next hurdle was that it is too narrow by about 3/8″ without the plastic tabs and the metal brackets. Also, it doesn’t have the mounting screw holes on the sides, so that is another issue. Another thing is it has these metal breakouts on the back of the drive that pop out about 1/4″ to allow the mounting of the controller card to the unit. I had to dremel them off to allow the atapi to ide adapter to fit. Yet another thing, it doesn’t have an eject button on the front, so it needs to be ejected from the software. I think I am going to put it back into the external drive casing and see if it still works. If not, I am going to exchange it for another….

Want to share my experience - the drive works beautifully on my XP box and plays HD DVDs.

What I did was:
    1) Purchased PowerDVD 7.2 deluxe
    2) Purchased Xbox 360 HD DVD drive
    3) Downloaded drivers for XP (the device is recognized as Toshiba DVD drive)
    5) Put King Kong HD DVD in the drive (come with the drive)

That’s it. It started to play. the picture quality is outstanding even compared to HD cable.

It plays through my Sharp Z2000 and My CRT monitor without any problems.

Heed to have a fairly fast PC - mine is AMD 64 X2 3800+, 1 GB, 7600 GT video. It used about 80% of the CPU while playing, so any slower PC would produce a jerky picture.

Best of luck to you all. HD DVD rules!

PS. Step 6. Switched my Netflix to HD DVDs!!!

It'll work over usb with a pc... getting to work in a pc is another thing...

Either ways, i have one.. just watched 2 hds on it n it does the job. Cant really review it as i've never used another HD player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Using on a PC at home, haven't modded it though, just connected over USB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

whats the image quality like? i know it's very easy to install the drive on a pc as xp detects it as an external dvd drive and you dont need drivers to use it just power hd dvd software or nero 7 latest release to play the HD-DVD but i think you do need a driver if you want to explore the drive in windows explorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I had one for 3 hours - it started making a serious racket (motor noise) so i returned it.
    Smyths didnt have another in stock so I got a refund.

Think it might have been too early to jump in yet as theres not that much out for it yet. I was very impressed by the picture quality though compared to dvd...

Advertisement