Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composite Decking

Options
  • 13-02-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

Using Composite decking has been recommended to me by a builder working on my house. It is made up partly of Sawdust and partly of plastic, it is supposedly highly durable and doesn't go off colour after a few years like a lot of woods you see used in decking.

Has anybody any experiences of it or does anybody know of where in Dublin it has be viewed. I understand it is quite a bit more expensive than standard decking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Funny you should be asking about that - someone mentioned it to me and I was very interested - No or very low maintenance and doesn't rot.

My wife called a place yesterday looking for a price and it was too expensive for us. But bear in mind, we have a very large area to deck.

One of the places I called yesterday was on the Ballymount Rd beside Noyeks and they have it on view there. I found the link - http://www.thedeckcentre.com/contact.asp

I don't think this is where my wife got the quote from - but I have no idea.

We are going to pave the area instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Thanks for the reply. Any ideas of the price per square yard, my area is only around 14 sq. yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

I don’t know if this has been posted before, but it is an interesting argument against composite decking.

http://www.gardenstructure.com/page/composite_decking.html?PageName=Composite_Decking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

i would 100% wholeheartedly agree with that mans opinion. i've yet to see a plastic exterior product that ages well and when it does age can be easily refinished.

There are some windows out there that have stood up ok, but others that haven't, i've seen a lot of pvc soffit and facia look like crap after a few years, and composite fencing and gates that looked like crap the day it was put up.

people in ireland have a major thing against timber, because all we have used timber wise in the last 100 years has been white deal, which is dirt, pressure treated white deal, is still dirt. when comparing the cost of cheap timber to composite decking its gonna be expensive, but compared to something like cedar probably not. and as the article says, cedar can always be refinished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Thre was another thread on this subject a while back, you can find it here.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement