Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom's wireless router or?

Options
  • 13-02-2007 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Im going with smart telecom and want to have wireless around the house..
    Should i pay 140 to Smart for their wireless router or should I buy some other brand? How much would I pay for a basic one from komplett for example..
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

No, don't waste money on Smart's wireless router.

Get another ADSL2+ wireless modem & router combined.

Komplett.ie has a Linksys one at €82 plus delivery - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323162

or the Belkin one I use at €92 plus delivery - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322326

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Tiesto wrote:
    Im going with smart telecom and want to have wireless around the house..
    Should i pay 140 to Smart for their wireless router or should I buy some other brand? How much would I pay for a basic one from komplett for example..
    thanks

Agree that Smart's wireless router is far too expensive. Smart's fast speeds can put pressure on your line and some people have found that Netgear equipment can have an edge if your line is at all dodgy so something like this might worth thinking about:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_dg834g.php

Komplett supply netgear but that model does not seem to be listed

On the other hand you could just buy a wireless router and use it with the Aolynk that Smart supply in bridge mode. Full instructions on how to do that are on the Smart support forum.

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306987

By the way for anyone thinking of buying it the Linksys wag54gs mentioned above is definitely not recommended I can speak from experience - it really should never have been released - have a look here if you are in any doubt.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/Reviews.asp?ProductID=2293

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm on Smart, and I upgraded to a Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router. It seems grand, though make sure you update the firmware if the firmware is out of date.

I got mine in Argos, and it came with a USB Wireless adapter free. Dunno if the free adapter offer is still going though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I've got the Aolynx/Smart router, and it's capable of 2.7 despite what I've been told are lousy S/N ratios and attenuation; a few people told me they're surprised that it works as well as it does!

If that router is so bad, is there a chance that changing to another one would let me get closer to the full 4 meg ?

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I've got the Aolynx/Smart router, and it's capable of 2.7 despite what I've been told are lousy S/N ratios and attenuation; a few people told me they're surprised that it works as well as it does!

If that router is so bad, is there a chance that changing to another one would let me get closer to the full 4 meg ?

There is really only one way to find out and that is to try other routers on your line:( I know thats easier said than done but the only predictable thing about routers/modems is their unpredictability!

I have had the opportunity to try the Aolynk, a linksys and a netgear on my line which is not great by any means and the netgear definitely gives the best results. (currrently line attenuation 57.5 and noise margin 8.9) and getting 2.75Mb/265 on irishisptest.com.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

well i dont actually need a router do i?
    Just an adsl modem... I simply want to share the connection with 3 other guys in my house...
    If a simple wireless modem would do this job could someone recommend for me please.
    thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

try the netopia2247, eircom starter pack, €25 pc world, curry's etc.

will it allow me to get the most out of the Smart 4 meg connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The general rule of thumb is any piece of equipment which is OEM supplied is weaker then a discreet customer purchased unit :)

• Advertisement

That netopia may not be be a good buy for a Smart customer as it is difficult to use them with Smart - there have been threads elsewhere on this.

You have already been given several recommendations (both for seperate routers and all in ones in the thread) what more are you looking for now?

dub45 wrote:
    That netopia may not be be a good buy for a Smart customer as it is difficult to use them with Smart - there have been threads elsewhere on this.

You have already been given several recommendations in the thread what more are you looking for now?

recommendations for only adsl modems, not routers

well i dont actually need a router do i?
    Just an adsl modem... I simply want to share the connection with 3 other guys in my house...
    If a simple wireless modem would do this job could someone recommend for me please.
    thank you.

Do you actually know yourself what you are looking for?

Tiesto wrote:
    recommendations for only adsl modems, not routers

Smart provide you with one (which is a router also) free gratis and for nothing!

dub45 wrote:
    Do you actually know yourself what you are looking for?

Smart provide you with one (which is a router also) free gratis and for nothing!

Yes im looking for a wireless Adsl modem.
    But i dont need a router.
    The one that smart provide is not wireless
    The reason why im looking for just an adsl wireless modem without router is because im guessing I can pick a good one up for maybe 30/40 euro cheaper than a router plus modem?

Tiesto wrote:

If you are going to share via wireless you need a router and you have already been given several recommendations in the thread both for all in ones and separate routers.

You cannot share a connection either with ethernet or wireless without a router in there somewhere,

dub45 wrote:
    You cannot share a connection either with ethernet or wireless without a router in there somewhere,

Are you sure about that? I was told that I could just get an Adsl wireless modem, connect it into the phone line and job done.. Anyone with a wireless connection can pick it up...

Tiesto wrote:
    Are you sure about that? I was told that I could just get an Adsl wireless modem, connect it into the phone line and job done.. Anyone with a wireless connection can pick it up...

Yes.

ok thanks for the correction.
    i was misinformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

All wireless and/or ethernet ADSL modems are routers; because they allow multiple connections, they have to be. As dub45 said, essentially any "modem" that allows more than one computer to connect will be an "all-in-one" has to include some sort of DHCP/routing mechanism.

The one that most BB providers offer for free is not wireless. Smart provided me with the wireless Aolynx for €140 (which you referred to in your original post) and while there might be better options, I can't really fault it on a 7km line that eircom said wouldn't support BB.....better to have 2.8Mb of Smart's max 4Mb than nothing at all out of eircom's paltry 1 or 2 Mb.

Some of the non-wireless ADSL modems might just be single connection devices without any DHCP/routing capability (I remember my cousin had a Zyxel USB modem), but in my experience there are very few of these around anymore - even eircom's basic netopia modem allows something like 3 CAT5 ethernet connections.

Advertisement