Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metallica - Ecstasy of gold

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭funky_buddah

I have doubts about the authenticity of it, never the less, it's cheesetastic and I ****ing love it!:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

It definately them

A one-minute audio clip of METALLICA's version of "The Ecstasy of Gold", the song from the classic film "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" which has been opening METALLICA live shows since 1983, has been posted online at this location. METALLICA's cover will be released on February 20 via Sony Classical as part of a tribute to composer Ennio Morricone, also featuring some of the greatest names from the worlds of contemporary pop, rock, jazz, and classical music.

Blabbermouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

It's horrible, and has dampened my hopes for a good new metallica album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Someone needs to beat Hammett over the head with that feckn wah pedal...

At least the snare doesn't sound like fire crackers in a pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Too much wah for one song, the man has a fetish!

It sounds awfully like something recorded on and 8 track recorder tbh. I like it tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Just to go off on a different tangent for a sec, does anyone know if Metallica are playing Dublin this year? They've announced that they'll be touring Europe for 3 weeks or so in July!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The riff sounds like they nicked it off "hallowed be thy name" unless maiden nicked it off morricone of course :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pariko

Hahaha, those Hetfield "yeeaaaaaaaaahaaaaeeeeeeeeAH!"s had me in knots :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah i heard this a while ago. Its awful! I love the way the first half of the song is kinda slow and the second half is the same thing to a faster beat. Its like they couldnt decide which piece sounded better so they did them both! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Metallica have confirmed 12 nites in the Gleneagle hotel Killarney with Brendan Grace supporting, then onto the Point for new years eve with the Pogues and Kirsty Mc Coll. This will be preceeded by a new album
    "Live in Ireland...coming home, again"
    Featuring 18 tracks mostly from 1983 to 1991 era with one track from after 1991 and a new hit single yet to be written.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

buck65 wrote:
    Metallica have confirmed 12 nites in the Gleneagle hotel Killarney with Brendan Grace supporting, then onto the Point for new years eve with the Pogues and Kirsty Mc Coll. This will be preceeded by a new album
    "Live in Ireland...coming home, again"
    Featuring 18 tracks mostly from 1983 to 1991 era with one track from after 1991 and a new hit single yet to be written.
    Post of the Month tbh!!!

:D Legend :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Science H. Logic, they've butchered it! They've butchered it! They've gone and destroyed one of the finest pieces of music ever written! Have they no ****ing shame, HAVE THEY NO ****ING SHAME!?!?! Ennio Morricone should have them put in stocks and Clint Eastwood should be pistol-whipping them into oblivion. Dreadful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

LundiMardi wrote:
    Someone needs to beat Hammett over the head with that feckn wah pedal...

At least the snare doesn't sound like fire crackers in a pot.

James Hetfield plays this solo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

John wrote:
    Science H. Logic, they've butchered it! They've butchered it! They've gone and destroyed one of the finest pieces of music ever written! Have they no ****ing shame, HAVE THEY NO ****ING SHAME!?!?! Ennio Morricone should have them put in stocks and Clint Eastwood should be pistol-whipping them into oblivion. Dreadful!

whoa chief, its a homage! Nothing more nothing less!

An homage should pay respect to something, not ruin it.

John wrote:
    An homage should pay respect to something, not ruin it.

how is it ruined?

Listen to the original and then listen to Metallica's and tell me that Metallica's is a patch on the original. It's a bad cover, a very bad cover.

John wrote:
    Listen to the original and then listen to Metallica's and tell me that Metallica's is a patch on the original. It's a bad cover, a very bad cover.

Its a homage dude. Metallica are hardly gonna whip out the violins and play it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I really doubt it's them...listen to the sound quality and the at times sloppy playing.....would you be happy if you bought a CD and it sounded like that? I'd take it back, terrible mix unless it was cut in James' basement or something.

faceman wrote:

The start seems to have been sequenced pretty nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

TelePaul wrote:
    I really doubt it's them...listen to the sound quality and the at times sloppy playing.....would you be happy if you bought a CD and it sounded like that? I'd take it back, terrible mix unless it was cut in James' basement or something.

Uh, this is the band that released St. Anger, to be honest. :p

faceman wrote:

I never said it needed violins, Morricone scored most of his spaghetti western soundtracks with the guitar as the principal instrument, it don't need no violins. Metallica have guitars, now why can't they make them sound good? I wasn't expecting a note for note, tone for tone replica of the original, just something good. I know Metallica love that music (hence it's their intro for their gigs) which is why I'm surprised that they'd release that tripe. As I said, an homage should pay respect to the original artist, not piss all over their good work.

Uh, this is the band that released St. Anger, to be honest. :p

:)

I just think it sounds TOO rough and ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

faceman wrote:

indeed, but they could have at least built the song up to be the epic, sprawling track that the original is. instead they stop for a break in the middle, then turn into some teenage punk band doing the song for the first time. it takes the charm and brilliance of the original, disregards it and slams into a wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Its alright, but I wouldnt say its the best thing ive ever heard

John wrote:
    I never said it needed violins, Morricone scored most of his spaghetti western soundtracks with the guitar as the principal instrument, it don't need no violins. Metallica have guitars, now why can't they make them sound good? I wasn't expecting a note for note, tone for tone replica of the original, just something good. I know Metallica love that music (hence it's their intro for their gigs) which is why I'm surprised that they'd release that tripe. As I said, an homage should pay respect to the original artist, not piss all over their good work.

i just think its shoite. They'd only be pissin on his work if they did it to make a quick buck or as a pisstake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Awh.. Thats what they have as the intro to their shows. I love that. It gave me goosebumps at the live show memories hearing it now. :o

It's a good idea to cover it as a tribute, like the did Garage Inc. (imo, the covers they did are all better than originals except maybe Die, Die My Darling) obv this new track isn't better but it's still cool.

And as a fan, I'm hoping they release it because it's kinda special to me. I know.:rolleyes:

I'm glad I know who performed the original now, cos I always wondered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i think its total crap,
    the original is far better, this is just noise tbh
    starts off OK... then into typical metallica crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Awh.. Thats what they have as the intro to their shows. I love that. It gave me goosebumps at the live show memories hearing it now. :o

It's a good idea to cover it as a tribute, like the did Garage Inc. (imo, the covers they did are all better than originals except maybe Die, Die My Darling) obv this new track isn't better but it's still cool.

And as a fan, I'm hoping they release it because it's kinda special to me. I know.:rolleyes:

I'm glad I know who performed the original now, cos I always wondered.

Are you off yer head:eek: ? No way are any of the covers that Metallica do, better than the originals.....? Their version of "Whiskey in the Jar" is f**kin AWFUL to put it mildly. The only cover version(s) that they made a decent stab at, were "Stone Cold Crazy"(originally by Queen), and "Tuesday's Gone"(originally by Lynyrd Skynrd). Phil Lynott would turn in his grave if he heard their version of "Whiskey"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Ok, I guess maybe not Whiskey, but it's still good. I downloaded all the originals of the Garage Inc album. I think the Diamond head version of It's Electric wasn't changed at all so sounds same, equally good.

I was so disappointed with the original Sabra Cadabra and Turn the Page and Loverman (It pains my ears). And the original Mercyful Fate tracks had me in stitches at how horrible the vocals are.

Metallica really made the songs their own, especially the country ones, changing harmonica/ accordion to guitar etc. Really effective and sounds cooler. Their versions are some of my all time favourite tracks.

Advertisement