Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flickering lights in apartment

Options
  • 13-02-2007 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi guys

Recently most of the lights in my apartment have started to flicker as soon as something like the kettle / washing machine / shower goes on. Any idea what it could be? I would be grateful for suggestions and things to look out for before I have to call out an electrician. The only thing I can think that it might be is I installed a spur off a bedroom socket a couple of months ago. Would it be possible that I spurred off a spur, and if so how would you know?

Thanks in advance
    freddie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

It sounds like a loose connection in the consumer unit, probably either the phase wire at the switchfuse or one of the busbar connections.
    Consumer units are delivered pre-wired with the internal links in place, but the installer is supposed to tighten all the connections.
    Doesn't always happen, though.
    You can go take off the cover and go round all the MCB terminal screws yourself if you have a decent insulated screwdriver ( not a phase tester, too small)
    Or if you're not confident about that, get an electrician.
    If you turn off the main switch only the incoming live terminal would still be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie

Thanks Hoagy

I went through and tightened any screws i could see. I'm not sure, but i think its better alright. I will leave it a while and see if it made any difference. This is a fairly recent problem so I cant imagine a screw would just loosen itself. anyway thanks again

freddie

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie

Actually hoagy

While I'm here talking to an expert maybe you can answer a question for me. In my kitchen there is a single switch low down on the wall that doesn’t seem to do anything! There is also another in the living room. Do you know what this switch could be? Sorry for bothering you

Thanks
    Freddie

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Since it's an apartment might it possibly be a heater point?

Advertisement