Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No non-religious admined teacher training colleges

Options
  • 13-02-2007 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

I read somewhere that there is no non-religious order organised based teacher training for primary teaching in ireland is that true?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That wouldn't surprise me. Most of the schools are still religious owned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

No not true any more - it was the case St Pats, Marino, Froebel, Mary I all Catholic ethos, Church of Ireland training school in Rathmines , but Hibernia is non-denominational.

I think this is an interesting area - although the colleges (except Hibernia) have a particular religious ethos - I don't think they could ask your religion before accepting you on a course - however I'd wonder how far this can be pushed - if a student turned up in a Burka to start in one of the colleges how would that be handled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ArthurDent wrote:
    No not true any more - it was the case St Pats, Marino, Froebel, Mary I all Catholic ethos, Church of Ireland training school in Rathmines , but Hibernia is non-denominational.

I think this is an interesting area - although the colleges (except Hibernia) have a particular religious ethos - I don't think they could ask your religion before accepting you on a course - however I'd wonder how far this can be pushed - if a student turned up in a Burka to start in one of the colleges how would that be handled?

Interesting question...

There is a religious education section to the Hibernia course however. It takes place in Maynooth over a number of weekends and involves a lot of home based studying. I wonder is there an opt out policy for this.. I never investigated it because I do wish to be able to teach in schools with a Catholic ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

always love hearing critics moan on about religious owning schools and they shouldn't etc etc yet I don't see the govt coming up with the reddies to take over the whole thing, then Isuppose they might actually have to fund a new school building!!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

ArthurDent wrote:
    but Hibernia is non-denominational.

Incorrect - Hibernia teaches religion and its Catholicism. I'm an atheist and soon to be primary teacher so don't let it bother you too much. Just live the lie like me ;)

• Advertisement

finlma wrote:
    Incorrect - Hibernia teaches religion and its Catholicism. I'm an atheist and soon to be primary teacher so don't let it bother you too much. Just live the lie like me ;)
    Hibernian is non-denominational in that it is not funded by any denomination. I'm sure it does teach relgion and would assume a large proportion of the syllabus is based around catholicism given that 95% of primary schools are that denomination - but do you get the catholic cert required by many dioceses as part of course or do you have to get it seperately like PGDE students?

TheDriver wrote:
    always love hearing critics moan on about religious owning schools and they shouldn't etc etc yet I don't see the govt coming up with the reddies to take over the whole thing, then Isuppose they might actually have to fund a new school building!!
    Eh govt have been funding the vast majority of school building programme for ages - nearly all schools built in the last couple of years have been paid for almost exclusively by govt, whetther on church land or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

ArthurDent wrote:

I think I remember the Church of Ireland training college saying that you would have to be a member of the Church of Ireland to get a place in the college. Im not entirely sure but I can see their point as there probably isn't many places in the college and they would like to have their teachers follow that faith of the college.

I think I remember the Church of Ireland training college saying that you would have to be a member of the Church of Ireland to get a place in the college. Im not entirely sure but I can see their point as there probably isn't many places in the college and they would like to have their teachers follow that faith of the college.
    isn't it great that in 2007 there are still careers that you have to be aarticular religion for - especially when it'll be the govt paying for your trainig and paying your salary afterwards - not those denominations - surely this is crying out for an equality case to be taken against the colleges

Advertisement