Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell laptop problem - Won't turn on

• 13-02-2007 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ive a Dell laptop here. It won't turn on. The batterys charges and the light comes on when plugged in but nothing happens when the power button is pressed. Ive lifted off the top flap to make sure the button is in contact with the switch properly and it is. What do ye reckon might be wrong with it? Dodgy MB?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Try removing the RAM modules and then putting them back in, if they are easily accessible (happened once to me). Just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Ruu wrote:
    Try removing the RAM modules and then putting them back in, if they are easily accessible (happened once to me). Just an idea.

Wish it had been as easy as that but it didn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

If it had a floppy bay, you could try and boot it up from a Windows98 Dos boot disk, and if it does boot then your problem is your Hard drive. Any knocks or falls recently?? If you know light for disk activity , this should go through a series of flickers as the hard disk feed the data to the RAM and processor. If again this is not as normal it would be a sign I think of hard idsk problems. I replaced a hard disk a few months back, the machine wasn't booting and the disk activity light was on permanent on.

Also if there is a monitor aoutput at back of laptop you might try conecting a PC monitor there, just to check your screen is working.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Unplug laptop and take out battery. Hold down power key for 5 seconds. Leaving battery out plug it in and try to boot again. (If you haven't done it already)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

Nope no joy. Hmmm, is there a status light anywhere on the MB so ill know if theres any power getting through to it. How does the circuit for charging the battery work? Does that go through the MB because the charging light defo comes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

junii wrote:
    Nope no joy. Hmmm, is there a status light anywhere on the MB so ill know if theres any power getting through to it. How does the circuit for charging the battery work? Does that go through the MB because the charging light defo comes on.

What Dell is it

Is it an Inspiron 5150,5100, 1100 or 1150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

junii wrote:
    Hi,
    Ive a Dell laptop here. It won't turn on. The batterys charges and the light comes on when plugged in but nothing happens when the power button is pressed. Ive lifted off the top flap to make sure the button is in contact with the switch properly and it is. What do ye reckon might be wrong with it? Dodgy MB?
    Leaving aside all the suggestions, is it new? Has it been on before or has it come out of the factory like that?

sceptre wrote:
    Leaving aside all the suggestions, is it new? Has it been on before or has it come out of the factory like that?

I presume it is not under warranty or surely he would have just sent it back to Dell rather than looking for solutions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Voipjunkie wrote:
    I presume it is not under warranty or surely he would have just sent it back to Dell rather than looking for solutions here.
    I'd have assumed that too but I'm just eliminating the obvious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lamlit

junii wrote:
    Hi,

please dont feel im insulting you, but i had a similar problem a while back.

i also have a Dell laptop and wasnt able to turn it on even though my green light was on.

i phoned them up and i felt such an egit, apparantly when that happens if you just hold down the power button for 8 seconds and then one quick press....... try that.... i did and it came on immediatly.

• Advertisement

sceptre wrote:
    I'd have assumed that too but I'm just eliminating the obvious

Fair point it is probably not safe to assume anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Lamlit wrote:
    i phoned them up and i felt such an egit, apparently when that happens if you just hold down the power button for 8 seconds and then one quick press....... try that.... i did and it came on immediately.
    MarkR wrote:
    Unplug laptop and take out battery. Hold down power key for 5 seconds. Leaving battery out plug it in and try to boot again. (If you haven't done it already)

Came home today, got a call from someone to check something online, go to turn on Acer1312XC, zilch,dead. Though I had a power cut, tried battery still zero, then remembered the above remedies, and sure enough it worked.

Always worth having a look in at other peoples problems, you might be able to use one of the suggested solutions a week later.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Advertisement