Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Group suggestion

Options
  • 13-02-2007 7:02pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a suggestion to make on an issue that came up elsewhere the other day.

As the userbase for boards.ie is too big to transfer, it means people must re-reg on each site - obviously this isn't a big deal or a lot of work, but it does mean that they might have 5 different nicks on 5 different sites (this could be because their first nick isn't available, or out of choice - maybe they want a different name to suit the site, like TV reference for boards.tv or a US cultural reference for boards.us etc.)

Anyway - my suggestion is to put something into the UserCP to "link" accounts, so my public profile would say "Know as: flogen on boards.ie, nameabc on boards.org.uk, othername on boards.jp..." and so on... the link could go a bit further than that - maybe showing a total postcount across the entire group, allowing users to mass-edit options or their sig etc. (probably getting too complicated now).

To stop fraudulent claims, the system could work as follows - I say my boards.jp account is called othername, othername on boards.jp gets a PM asking if flogen from boards.ie is indeed owned by the same person - the link only comes into effect with approval from both sides.

Thoughts? It is probably a not-so-easy system to put in place, but it would allow people to post under different names across the boards group without causing too much confusion and if implemented on a bigger scale it could give people a kind of Universal boards group UserCP that would make some aspects a little easier for them.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Its an excellent idea but I have no idea if its possible. Just like Adverts.ie I know I would have more confidence dealing with people with a bit of history.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It is possible, but we don't have that facility in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I dont know much about vB, but IPB provides the ability to share logins across many sites. It is called IP.Converge. Basically, each site would have its own database, with one site database acting as a master, and the other sites would login through Converge,installed on the master site. Usernames, Emails and Passwords would be the same on all sites. Maybe some bright-spark has created a similar system for vB, I wouldnt know. But you could always switch, IPB is still IMHO a much better system, though, it is by no means going to make boards faster, that is a database problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I think just the simple edit to the member profile could work.

Working on the basis of [fieldsX], once the userfield is filled in the userCP, it will appear on the profile as " [fieldX] @ Boards.tv, us etc.

Making the links clickable would also mean having to get the user to enter their user ID's from any of the sites too, into another userfield.

Thats if alls to be kept simple.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I want the world to look a bit like this: http://appleseed.sourceforge.net/

• Advertisement
Advertisement