Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seanfhocal

• 13-02-2007 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Dia daoibh go leir agus tá súil agam go mbeidh duine éigin an seo ábalta cuidiú a thabhairt dom. :)

My friend was looking for a "seanfhocal" to use as the title of an essay she is working on and found a suitable one in Scottish Gaelic:

"Cha robh dithis riamh a' fadadh teine nach do las eatarra". Apparantly this translates to "Two never kindled a fire but it lit between them", and means two people never meant to fall in love but it happened anyway - it was fate for them to fall in love.

She would like to use a seanfhocal as Gaeilge with a similar meaning. An bhfuil fios ag éinne seanfhocal oiriúnach?

Go raibh míle maith agaibh go leir.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Well first of all I want to make sure I understand the sentiment of the seanfhocal. I presume it means that two people working at the same thing lightens the load? Like a problem shared is a problem halfed, or some such idea?

If so I would maybe suggest "Giorraíonn beirt bóthar". Two people make a road seem shorter. Have I got the right idea?

Though you could just use the original Scots-Gaelic one and simply write it in modern Irish spelling, if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I can't think of any romantic seanfhocal! In fact, I'm not sure I'd interpret that as being romantic.

But as Gael said, you could just translate it to Irish - Níor fhadaigh beirt tine riamh nár las sé eatarthu or sth?

Advertisement