Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest Dedicated Game Server Provider?

Options
  • 13-02-2007 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hi im the leader of an irish based gaming clan and am looking for a nice solution in terms of getting muliple game servers in the coming months - basically im sick of playing extortionate prices for rented individual servers and want something that i cud run say 2-3 decent servers off in certain mixes something like

16 man CSS 66 tick
    12 man FEAR
    16 man Stalker/Quake Wars/UT3

or

10 man 2142
    24 man Stalker/Quake Wars/UT3 or equivalent

What I would really like is for the server box to be in Ireland (or close) for best pings for irish clans and pings and cheap too :D - anyone know where i should go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Define 'cheap'?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Well when i was "Cheap" i mean good value = for example the clan currently pays 93 euro a month for a ranked 2142 server (32 man) <-EXTORTION!
    So for now there is nothing we can do about that - however in future we wish to starts say 10-24 man servers in other games (UT3/stalker/fear/QW/2142 unranked) and would like a cheap solution for multiple games and low pings :D

most games providers we see charge about 2-2.5 euro a slot (with some games like CSS 100-tick and bf2 costing twice that much) - and usuually there are added costs involved like debranding/teamspeak/setup fee

like i said i would love to be able to run 2-3 servers for maybe 100 a month
    Would pay extra to get the servers in Ireland - i see it as added value - as long as the servers can handle the games :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

100 a month wil get you a basic celeron type server, but in Ireland. You'll need to increase your budget or look at buying a server and colocating it to really get the performance you would like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I've used www.inx-gaming.co.uk in the past and found them pretty reliable. Currently I only use them for a Ventrilo server though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

On the other hand - could setup your own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Not with my (or anyone else in the clans') current connection, 2mb esat can handle about 3 people in the one server :mad: - would end up costing a hell of a lot more to operate and maintain - if u are refering to collocation i may look into that but of what ive seen it works out to be more expensive :S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

CoLocation requires greater initial expense obviously, but it does work out cheaper in the long run.

Advertisement