Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02/03 Audi A4 1.9TDi or 1.8 Turbo - advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

maidhc wrote:
    Diesels are FAR quieter cars to drive than petrols. The 1.9TDI is a particularly bad example of a noisey diesel engine.

Wouldn't agree with the 1st statement, but anyway.

The 1.9TDI is being phased out now as it's quite an old design.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

JHMEG wrote:
    Wouldn't agree with the 1st statement, but anyway.

The 1.9TDI is being phased out now as it's quite an old design.

like he said. 1.9TDI is pretty old. the 2.0TDI is now available in 140 and 170ps
    versions. Have to say they are noisy enough, noticeably more so that the petrol engines. definitely not FAR quieter.

For me it would be the 1.8T, but one of the guys in work here has the 2.0TDI 140 and it is nice, but major turbo lag. foot to the floor, pause, pause, kick in the back. Fuel economy of course is way better with the diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

fletch wrote:
    Skoda Fabia 1.9TDI 130bhp - "The in gear acceleration times are 50-70 mph in 5.6 seconds, quicker than BMW's 330i which needs 6.0 seconds. 20-40 mph in 2.4 seconds is as quick as the Lotus Elise 111R" - source

What is the point of a lazy post like this. Your stats take no account of the actual gear ratios for (presumably) 4th gear in the test.

In the skoda 4th gear is in the torque (actually power really) sweet spot. For all other examples the car is way off its sweetspot.

Silly comparison

Mid - range?? 60km/h - 120Km/h in which case the 130 Tdi is faster, most people dont cruise traffic lights looking for a race to 100 km/h.

Your comparison of a Honda Civic Type-R to a transit van is hilarious, what about comparing a 200bhp diesel car to a 200bhp petrol hatchback car, who would win your little rally then.

Again this is stupid - The diesel will only be quicker in the "mid range" if the petrol driver doesn't drop a cog or two -

You kinda also contradicted the torque advantage arguement. I.e.

Q: how much torque does a diesel need to keep up with a 200hp Type R
    A: As much torque as is required to make 200hp.

Get it?

maidhc wrote:
    Diesels are FAR quieter cars to drive than petrols. The 1.9TDI is a particularly bad example of a noisey diesel engine.

Finally, as an ex Lexus driver - this is patently rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Last 5 cars / miles covered:

01 2.0 E200 Kompressor Avantgarde tiptronic 5k miles
    06 1.9 105bhp DSG Golf Plus 10k miles
    05 1.9 140bhp Passat Tdi Tipronic 13k miles
    00 1.8t TT high spec 6k miles
    00 1.8t TT 10k miles

Thoughts on all
    E200 - peerless, average 28mpg knocking around, 35 mpg on a run. It'll be hard to replace.......at any price.........
    Golf Plus DSG - gearbox is so good is makes up for the power deficit over the Passat. 43 mpg average. Seats appalling. Spec appalling.
    Passat Tiptronic - Ooodles and oodles of power - almost too much, as traction hopeless. Very, very nice to drive. Loves diesel, could not better 38mpg, usually less. (Having said that, my friend has a 105bhp Skoda Octavia 1.9Tdi Tiptronic..........and gets 48mpg....). Car very, very quick in 'real life' i.e., it's fast without trying, due to good torque at real-life speeds - .i.e., up to 85mph.
    TT #2 - Average 31mpg. Brilliant. V.fast, traction superb - worth at least 50bhp?? Suspension bushes worn out at 43k miles.
    TT #2 - Average 30/31mpg. Brilliant. Only changed it to no 2 for nicer spec. MAF sensor at 28k miles.

How you get the 1.8t to 'teen mpg's I have no idea, I didn't exactly hang around in mine...........as for turbo lag, well a Forge DV cured mine.......I met a guy who couldn't decide between the 2.5Tdi and the 1.8t in an estate, and picked the 2.5 He said he regrets it since, as the 1.8t was nicer. I know you can't measure 'nicer', but there you go..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭omega man

I went from a leon tdi150 rempapped to 185 to an octavia vrs petrol and although the leon had good performance and great fuel economy there is no comparision for me, forget your torque and mid range waffle. A tdi130 in a big car is not fast by any means, nippy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I'm actually seriously starting to think about buying a BMW 318 instead?!

In particular a 01/02 318 Coupe .......like this ......

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks nice, Silvera!

Would you not rather go for a 320ci (2.2) or a 325ci (2.5) though? Mind the 318ci (2.0) is quite fast with a 0-100km/h time of around 9s

The straight 6 engines are just so sweet and will set you back very little, if any, extra over the 4-pot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mayshine wrote:
    Finally, as an ex Lexus driver - this is patently rubbish

At 60mph my car is doing about 1800rpm and the engine is completely inaudible. At low revs you hear noise, but again, the engine is still running very very slowly.

Frankly though, I don't care. What I do care about though is that I can get from Cork to Dublin and back on 1/2 a tank of diesel (€25), with the car fully loaded and driving pretty hard.

It has plenty power for overtaking, and, per the manufacturer can do the 50-70 mph in 5.something seconds in 4th gear. That is about on par with a 2.0 petrol in the same sized car. The 0-100k time is in or around 10seconds, which would not be as good as a petrol, so racing integras at the lights isn't an option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement