Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine problem.... any advise?

Options
  • 13-02-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Whenever I start my car the engine almost stalls?
    (and it only seems to happen on level ground, on a slope is fine)

After ignition it will hover at the 1000rpm for a couple of seconds then the revs drop sometimes even stalling the engine!

No gears engaged peddles pressed at all... very odd.

I let the engine warm up for a few mins and its fine but has been happening for nearly a month.
    Also the engine sounds really rough and loud @ 2000-2500rpm in 4th gear, they could be related?

car: 2001 Skoda Fabia 1.4ltr mpi

Any ideas b4 I head to garage would be appreciated

many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Whenever I start my car the engine almost stalls?
    (and it only seems to happen on level ground, on a slope is fine)
    After ignition it will hover at the 1000rpm for a couple of seconds then the revs drop sometimes even stalling the engine!
    No gears engaged peddles pressed at all... very odd.
    I let the engine warm up for a few mins and its fine but has been happening for nearly a month.
    Also the engine sounds really rough and loud @ 2000-2500rpm in 4th gear, they could be related?
    car: 2001 Skoda Fabia 1.4ltr mpi
    Any ideas b4 I head to garage would be appreciated
    many thanks

Sounds to me like a worn Throttle Body or TB sensor. You'll need to get that looked at! Common problem in Polo's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Could simply be a dirty throttle body. It may just need to be cleaned and then have the throttle angle reset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ery

At least you have an engin that works!! I'm looking for engin for 2.2TD Renault espace 1999 any help would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

crosstownk wrote:
    Could simply be a dirty throttle body. It may just need to be cleaned and then have the throttle angle reset.

I'd agree with crosstownk,

Try cleaning it out with some carb cleaner, you'd be surprised how dirty these get.
    It use to happen all the time to my golf and scirocco

ocj wrote:

Try cleaning it out with some carb cleaner, you'd be surprised how dirty these get.

Yeah - thats the easiest way to clean them - just make sure the carb cleaner is safe to use on a car with a catalytic convertor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

could this also cause acceleration to drop when the accelerator pedal is pushed to the floor as opposed to hovering over the floor????

And if so how would I go about cleaning it

Yep, in some instances it can cause symptoms as you describe (slight hestitance whe the throttle is buried). You need to remove the intake pipe from the throttle body and spray in the carb cleaner (aim it at the galzed dirt) with the engine running - if the engine is idling spay the cleaner in slowly or the engine will cut out. Its better if the engine is running above 2,000RPM to avoid stalling. Note that in some cases the throttle angle needs to be reset after the throttle body has been cleaned.

Advertisement