Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 Recommendations?

Options
  • 13-02-2007 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Sold my .243 last month with the intention of picking up something new/nicer during the year. Unfortunately, I'm missing it now :( .

Anyway, making do with the rimmys, I'm thinking of a cheap(ish) .223 to keep me going until next season. I don't want to spend too much on it TBH as I'll be back to a deer calibre etc. but I miss not having a cf.

Much as I'd love a Steyr Scout or Tikka T3 Tactical, they're just too darn expensive for me for now, so............

.223 recommendations under €1k?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've no idea on actual 'in the shop' prices, but CZ rifles are very well regarded and are considered 'inexpensive'-
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=3&ids=9&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Yep, I've considered a 527 but as I already have 2 CZ rimfires (HMR & 22lr), I fancy something different. Synth stock/stainless/short(ish) barrell etc.

Just something "for a change" really, before the .223 is "restricted" :D .

Thanks for the input though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

T3 Varmint or Lite (stainless, synthetic) should both be under 1k now with the release of the Super Varmint last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Paul O'Halloran in Drangan Kilkenny will sell you a Tikka T3 for less than 900.
    That is not for a Tactical but Lite or Laminate Stainless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

why dont you look around for a cheap remy 700,something thats lying around the shops eg..17 centrefire gathering dust and get it rebarreled into .223 for about 800 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Can you get Kel-Tec SU-16s over there?

They're quite decent little plinkers, cheap by .223 standards but surprisingly good. We're not talking AR-15 here, but not bad.

Ruger's Mini-14 is also well-liked and cheap.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread Kramer:p

.243 wrote:
    why dont you look around for a cheap remy 700,something thats lying around the shops eg..17 centrefire gathering dust and get it rebarreled into .223 for about 800 euro.

What do you know about the legalities of changing calibres on a rifle? I've been toying with the idea of getting my Swift rebarrelled/bored to .308. Its a Remy 700 short action so the port size and bolt face would not change. how difficult is it to get the cert modified????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Hezz700 wrote:
    Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread Kramer:p

What do you know about the legalities of changing calibres on a rifle? I've been toying with the idea of getting my Swift rebarrelled/bored to .308. Its a Remy 700 short action so the port size and bolt face would not change. how difficult is it to get the cert modified????

i dont think there is any great deal involved in it,all you are doing is ammending the calibre not the gun so it should be the same as swapping one gun for another,talk to a riflesmith who does this sort of work as they have to be in the know ,proofing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Rebarrelling is something I wouldn't consider for now, TBH. If I had something suitable then yes.......

I'll have to pay a visit to my local dealer........see if anything grabs my attention.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

• Advertisement
Advertisement