Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Umo

Options
  • 13-02-2007 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight i have seen an unidentified moving object in the vicinity of Sirius. It keeps moving every five minutes from its position in the sky and seems to become less visible after a while only then to become more prominent again. perhaps it's a circling plane but there is no airport close to where i live. Could it be a satellite? I don't smoke hash or take any hallucinogenic drugs by the way.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Tonight i have seen an unidentified moving object in the vicinity of Sirius. It keeps moving every five minutes from its position in the sky and seems to become less visible after a while only then to become more prominent again. perhaps it's a circling plane but there is no airport close to where i live. Could it be a satellite? I don't smoke hash or take any hallucinogenic drugs by the way.;)

doesn't sound like a sattellite, i'd say aircraft in holding pattern is best guess.
    Aircraft lights are very bright and can be seen for quite a distance. I live 40 miles from dublin and the lights of aircraft in holding patterns give the exact same pattern as you described and can be mistaken for planets until they move. I've seen lights hover in the same position for about 5 minutes and then fade and turn in a matter of seconds.

SOP

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thanks for your reply. That does seem to be the case as it's not visible in the sky anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It could have been the garda helicopter. It does that pattern too. If you are close enough, you can hear its engine, which is quite distinctive. Satellites don't hover. They would cross the sky and disappear quickly as the move and stop reflecting sunlight towards you. You don't see many at this time of year, although I did actually see one myself a few nights ago. Summer, when the sun is not so far below the horizon during the night, is when you will see most of them.

The ISS (International Space Station) starts passing over Ireland from tonight and will continue to do so for the next while. Check www.heavens-above.com for times to see it from where you live. If you have not done so, you will need to register, which is free. If it is cloudy tonight, you will get chances for another week or more yet.

Last night was nice and clear here in Dublin. I saw the ISS and had a good look at Venus and Saturn and many other sights out there last night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement