Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh dear god - where does this part go!?

Options
  • 13-02-2007 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Well...

I went and bought the Boomerang right enough and got it home tonight. The thing is a fair old size isnt it?! I wasnt expecting it to be the same wingspan as my sofa, although i saw the dimensions - its still a lot bigger looking in the flesh.

Anyway.... what a horrible sight it is to see all those parts, and all those fiddly pieces to put together. Im worried! The electronics - frightening.

REALLY frightening.

But apart from grumbling in sheer terror - cheers for help Coolwings - i hope youre onhand for the odd bit of "where does this go?"

A question though - for those of us not really in the know as to how sparingly or unsparingly to use the epoxy - theres a fair chance 'everything will work out fine' ven IF it is used slightly sparingly yes?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That epoxy is VERY strong stuff.... use just enough to cover the surface to be glued. A bit like spreading butter on a slice of bread.

Mmmmmm....epoxy ....... the aeromodellers best friend ..... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

ah thank goodness....i suppose its a fair estimation of having used enough when you cant actually prise the pieces apart for another go! :)

cheers for responding CW - im flicking ahead to the more complicated electronics section of the booklet and thinking "oooh yes....forum posts"

cant wait to get the thing going though....should be impressive seeing something the size of a sofa taking to the air for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

ah it appears i got rather high on plane fuel - i posted using my wives user name.... ^^^^

Dunno about the username ... I'm looking forward to seeing a flying sofa !

ok could someone please tell me what the hell to do with this

http://www.kavanrc.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/DetailProduct.html?L+Kav+bdvx3326+_DHTMLFile_02_2e_2e_2fhtdocs_2fKavSite_2ftext_2fzz10135E_2ehtml_01

??????

ive only got it as a stand by cos the shop was out of well....another kind :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

You put a "D" size battery in to it(at the top). It is a funny looking glow egniter, you need it to start the engine, every rc engine in fact except traxxas unless you remove the ez start.

Yes, a T-type drycell glowstart, you push it onto the top of the engine before starting it - the rechargeable one is a lot nicer, a few years ago I used to carry one of the type you showed in my toolbox as a backup device.

yeah i reckon ill get my rechargeable one in a couple of weeks time - they gave me that one to use in the meantime until they get restocked so...

its far flung from flick starting my old control line models - never had to use a glowplug connector before. Life was far simpler with a wing on a string :)

"... wing on a string ...."
    Probably an old one, but 1st time I've heard it. :)

heh glad ya like it... just my nickname for control line so im going to go straight out and copyright it!

hey listen - i tried installing my engine, and drilled the holes and all was going well.... now though, ive a problem. The screws arent great (2.5x25mm self tapping), and one of them has slipped slightly and gone too close to the edge of the blue plastic mount for my liking. Would it be ok to unscrew, and refix the engine in a slightly different location? Or would the engine mount have lost a lot of its strength due to having the previous 4 holes drilled? I installed the engine dead centre anyway - possibly shifting it further forward wouldnt hurt.

• Advertisement

Don't worry about it if the other 3 are straight.
    There's plenty of engines up and down the country that have a lost a mounting lug in a crash, and still give reliable service with three remaining bolts.
    I have had situations where one had the thread half exposed along it's length.
    Easily fixed.
    Oil the screw slightly, screw down.
    Add epoxy from the outside - objective is to add thickness where the plastic is a bit thin. Leave to harden.
    The bit of oil on the screw is to allow you get it out later for maintenance, so the glue doesn't make it permanent.
    Works best while the engine mount is new - with no engine oil on to prevent best adhesion of the epoxy coating.

ahh its a strange one. The two 'fingers' of the mount are pointed slightly in toward one another so i needed to splay them back out slightly to accomodate the mvvf 50 - not much, but it only means they have a tendancy to want to push the engine up and out again. This is what screwed up my allignment, so the 3 others seem bang-on...but one seems to miss completely now - what a bummer....it was all going so well.

It's no biggie.
    Engine mounts in trainers have short lifespans! Sometime you will stick the nose down a bit too much on a landing, the prop wil dig in, and next day you are screwing on a shiny new engine mount in the place where the old one used to be ....

BTW The replacement mounts are a lot nicer than the ones supplied pre-fitted.

Anyway you can :

leave it as is

leave as is but add glue

retap a new straighter thread and fill-pack the "old screw track" with glue

drill through 3.5mm, swop the self tapper for a M3 x 30 machine thread bolt, and put a nut and washer on the underside to clamp it good and tight

Drill through so the self tapper runs free, then add a block of hardwood underneath to tap into, and pull it tight as a clamp, using the self tapper (if it's long enough) to do so

Loads of options :-)

heh...well.....

thnks for that list there bud, its a bit embarrasing so it is - but hey i never did tech class! :) but yeah im thinking of just being done with the whole thing and getting a new mount to save on anymore slips and shoddy repairs by myself... Im THAT bad at this stuff.

thanks again though mate - its good to know its not a china doll that will fall apart and there are some options for repair and shoddy rearrangement without affecting the capacity to fly too much.

Heh heh

You will have plenty of opportunities "to rearrange parts" later as you put it .....

the mount is just to make sure that the plane follows the propeller!

good point :)

i woke up last night in the middle of a dream in which my 'instructor' flew the wretched thing into the roof of someones house. God this plane is doing my head in already. WHY oh WHY did i read you peoples forum hehe

nah its a good bug to have though isnt it? even smelling the fuel for the first time in over a decade has really made me smile lately.

Advertisement