Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Editing Work

• 13-02-2007 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all, hope this is in the right section...
    A few years ago, I did some entry-level Editing in college, and it was something that I really enjoyed but never explored.
    After a few years working in a business that isn't interesting me in the slightest, I would love to pursue a career in Film Editing.
    From what I read, Final Cut Pro is one of the industry leaders at the moment, and I notice that FilmBase do Apple Certified Training in this package.

Anybody here working in the Film/TV industry?

Is this a Pipe dream, or can I feasibly find work with an Apple Certificate, some student film showreels and no real industry connections?
    Any advice is appreciated! thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

My first advice to you would be to buy a PC w/ Premiere Pro and learn the basics at home using tutorials & advice/tips on forums, and see if it's something you really do enjoy and have a knack for! It'll be cheaper than going all out with an Apple & Final Cut & a course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jacks_bile_duct

Thanks futureman, as I said I did a bit in college, on student films and the like, and i've used premiere in the past for home-stuff.
    I really enjoy it and I understand the principles of good editing, do's and don't etc, but i realise i've a lot to learn. is there a career path or is it all who you know not what you know?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

First off, avoid Premier Pro - you won't open many doors with it.. If you go down the pc route try working with Avid Free and learn from there. Avid is used in the majority of the post houses in dublin. In terms of FCP usage, Setanta Sports and egg would be the two that spring to mind.

You could try and get a job in a post house as a runner/ tape monkey/ assistant editor and try and work your way up. Not many places are going to take someone in straight away and let work them as an editor. You really need to have a body of work to show prospective employers your skills. If you've got a natural flare and a good eye for editing you don't need to worry about having a certificate in anything.

It's a hard industry to break into, but try keeping an eye on http://www.iftn.ie/jobs you may come across an opportunity for a junior position. Best of luck.

thanks decob, that's really good advice! i know a lot of recently graduated film students who are busy starting projects that will need editing so hopefully once i've got my technical skill up i'll be able to build up a "CV" of sorts. Are there a lot of freelancers in the industry do most production companies have staff editors?
    Is a knowledge of Avid Free translatable to Avid Pro?
    thanks again for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

Actually I think futuremans advice is the best for you.

The world of editing is twofold.

1. The basic operation of the mechanics/software. i.e. what buttons to press to make something happen.
    2. The principle of understanding how shots are cut together. This bit takes years of practice and an understanding of how TV/Film is made in the first place.

So practice on the cheapest kit you can find. Learn how shots work and in what order. Try it with music, actors and whatever footage you can get your hands on. Diversity.

From a personal point of view, Ive edited, linear, non-linear, music video, corporate video, wedding video, drama etc. My early work was tape to tape:eek: and then AVID. (out of the game a few years now) So I know the art, but Im looking to do a FCP course purely to familiarise myself with its technology.

Learn the art first, before branching into learning the highend techno bit. Then you'll get real value for money. I know loads of people who know FCP backwards, but they can't cut ****.

• Advertisement

thanks everyone for the advice.
    i've got a project coming up next month to edit a 3 minute short (and do post sound too) so i'm hoping to learn a lot.
    any other tips or advice guys? it's all appreciated! i think i need some confidence in myself more than anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

There are a lot of freelancers out there but don't expect to be able to make a living as a freelancer until you have a good bit of experience under your belt and have put your time in.

I'd say your best bet starting off in your position would be to keep cutting away yourself - doing shorts for nothing etc. - and at the same time try to get a job as a tape monkey/digitising monkey in a post production house. This way you'll be getting practice in at actual cutting but will also be making valuable contacts and getting an idea of how things work.

If you're lucky you might get an editor who will help you out and let you cut a few bits and pieces here and there.

I started off as an assistant and was in the right place at the right time and got offered a few small editing jobs when the company was busy. Then when an editor left I got offered his position.

Also - be prepared for late nights and hours and hours of logging footage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I heard on the grapevine that UCC and CIT are currently working on their own TV studio which will broadcast to freeview. Early days yet but sounds like it will be a great inroad and showcase for students and new producers video work. Final cut pro from what I know is the way to go if you can afford it I haven't looked at Avid but it sounds like it is worth a look to.

Advertisement