Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test, Car Quiery

Options
  • 13-02-2007 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Evenin' all,

got the letter in today of the date i'm to sit my driving test 24th of feb anways, in addition to it i got a letter stating what condition my car has to be in, and a few points concerned me

it says the car has to have a min thread depth of 1.6mm, just got two new tyres to the front after an adventure with a kerb and blown the front tyre and noticed a big bubble in the rhr tyre and took the one from the lhf and swiched them, now there is a worn outer ring around the tyre on the rhr, and was thinking of swiching it with the spare wheel which has better thread depth but is not a alloy and will look odd, thus the tester looking at my baldy spare wheel.?

Also there is a ''knock'' from the front end of the car from when you go over speed bumps the suspension is in good order (checked by a mecanic) and i dont want to go and splash out for two new struts as i plan too sell the car if i pass. just wondering will i get away with my arthur daly-istc efforts to get one over on the dept of transport or will i just be better off borrowing my mams car (Seat Arosa) to do the test in which passed the nct only last aug, as my nct expires 11/07.

Thanks For aany advice

-VB-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Hi

You will need to fix your tyres

You could use your mother’s car for the test if you are insured.

Tyres??????????? I hope you don't mind me pointing this out, But the bubble tyre on your car is dangerous. Having it on the front in madness if you get a blow-out you can lose control and kill yourself or someone else.

I hope this information is of help to you, Best of look on the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

You misread my post, the bubble was on the rhr tyre, i swaped the rhr with the lhf tyre, i know the bubble was dangerous so that is why i put the car into get two tyres to the front, as i heard that you always replace tyres two at a time or four, whatever the case maybe.
    the tyre that had the bubble was a good tyre with pleanty of thread left, but for safety reasons it probably now a swing.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Everybody seems to be doing there test lately, there pissing through them now.

My test is Thursday, im real nervous but what can you do.

One of the lights beside my indicator (kinda a spot light) has a blown bulb. I got a replacement but cant get the screw of, its jammed. Will this matter. Both of my normal lights work fine. Just the spot light doesnt.

Unfortunatly i cant turn the lights on without this light coming on as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Everybody seems to be doing there test lately, there pissing through them now.

My test is Thursday, im real nervous but what can you do.

One of the lights beside my indicator (kinda a spot light) has a blown bulb. I got a replacement but cant get the screw of, its jammed. Will this matter. Both of my normal lights work fine. Just the spot light doesnt.

Unfortunatly i cant turn the lights on without this light coming on as well

Hi

If it's a parking or side light the tester will not look at these, they only check the indicators and brake lights outside the car.
    They will ask you the rest inside the car, ie how do you? Bla Bla Bla

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Firstly, you car needs to be 'street legal' in most respects before the tester will sit into it. Some testers will check absolutely everything - others may neglect to check one or two points. Check all bulbs, seat belts, road tax, insurance and NCT. There is nothing worse that having the tester refuse to let you sit the test due to a faulty bulb - it happened to a mate of mine who arrived for his test only for the tester to point out that one of his brake lights was out - man was he sick!

Secondly, you need to feel as comfortable as you possibly can during and before the test. If you think you will be more comfortable in your mother's car then use it.

And best of luck on Friday week!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement