Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sis thinks I've a drink problem

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

18 tins and a bottle of wine? That's impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

no Chucky the tree it is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

in fairness, when i'm drinking and watching a film or whatever i'd have maybe 4 cans. 6 at most had i got a big night planned. stop drinking SO much. why would you feel the urge to get obliterated drunk to enjoy a quiet night in with your boyfriend?

try to see things from your sisters point of view. i live with an alcoholic (i'm not saying you are now, before you get defensive) and having someone clattering around the house or whatever ever friday night must be great fun for hurt.

cop on, cut back, enjoy sobriety a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I dont get it? why sit in and drink that much? Surely that amount of booze would be best consumed over a 8 or 12 hour session while on a wild bender, actually experiencing soemthing crazy to go along with the crazy behaviour?

Drugs could be an agreeable alternative - sit in on a Friday and smoke a few joints - wouldnt be anywhere near as bad for you.

I dont drink or smoke by the way - maybe once every two months or so - but I'd usually go through similar units (spirits rather than tinker cans though = and probably no more than about 15 on a mad one) but a balance to your consumption might be a bit cool - go mental on BIG NIGHTS OUT but a regular nite in I jsut dont see the point in getting so messed up

never mind the puritan nonsense about livers etc - yes its largely true if you maintain this consumption over time, but going a bit mental once a week is hardly a problem - and in fairness the yoghurt sprout eating motherfúckers are always gonna give you the pofaced holier than thou billox - its how they justify themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

never mind the puritan nonsense about livers etc - yes its largely true if you maintain this consumption over time, but going a bit mental once a week is hardly a problem - and in fairness the yoghurt sprout eating motherfúckers are always gonna give you the pofaced holier than thou billox - its how they justify themselves

It's hardly puritan nonsense - more like scientific fact. I drink a good bit - probably more than I should but the amount she says she drinks on a regular basis is astonishing.

Drinking that much twice a week (Friday and Saturday nights) is maintaining the level of consumption over time. Serious problems are only a few years down the line (maybe even sooner)

10 cans a night? Ridiculous.

I'm all for people enjoying themselves but drinking that amount on that regular of a basis is not just bad for you but it's extremely foolish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The 18 cans and bottle of wine aren't the real issue.

Hell, it's probably worth going on a real bender on a very rare occassion if you can afford it (i.e. not just the money, but you aren't going to do anything stupid, don't have anywhere to be or anything important to do, and so on).

10 cans in a night every week is not healthy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Nonsense about livers?! It's a VITAL organ. Without it you will die. Treat it and yourself with respect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Were the 18 cans you drank 500ml cans or 330ml cans?

If they were 500ml cans you should really cut back. I am 6ft6 and 16 stone and I can easily drink stupid amounts of alcohol, but really whats the point? I am no teetotaler but **** me theres no way a female should be drinking that amount of alcohol every second weekend or whatnot, let alone a male.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Just to underline the point of the damage you are doing to yourself: Assuming the OP is female, you are in grave risk of cirrhosis of the liver.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/cirrhosisliver.htm
    The more alcohol a person drinks, the more likely they are to develop cirrhosis. Women seem to be more susceptible than men. It is therefore advisable to restrict alcohol consumption to 28 units a week for men and 21 units a week for women (a unit of alcohol is a single measure of spirits, a half pint of ordinary beer or lager or a standard size glass of wine).

A 5ft female being able to put away 18 cans + a bottle of wine one night, and then do it all again the next night indicates a very high tolerance which would only be achieved from drinking very regularly.

So to all the posters saying 'ah its ok if you only do it once in a while' - it is NOT ok to drink that much at any time, and it is obvious that the OP drinks a lot, regularly.

OP, seek help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

I seldom drink so I don't know the indications when you get addicted.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

dellas1979 wrote:

You are a student arent you?

You sound a little conceited about this also, like there is medal to be won or show how cool you are.
    no im not a student

where in my post do i seem concieted-I dont think its something to be concieted about- i wasnt bragging i was bein honest

Is drinking making your home life unhappy? no

Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare? no

Do you drink because you are shy with other people? no

Is drinking affecting your reputation? no

Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble? sometimes

Do you drink alone? no

Have you lost time from work due to drinking? no

Has your ambition decreased since drinking? yes

Has your efficiency decreased since drinking? no

Is drinking jeopardising your job or business? no

Have you ever felt remorse after drinking? yes

Are you in financial difficulties as a result of drinking? nope

Do you turn to or seek an inferior environment when drinking? no

Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily? no

Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping? yep

Do you want a drink the next morning? god no id b dying

Do you drink to build up your self-confidence? it helps

Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking? yes

Has your doctor ever treated you for drinking? no

Have you ever been in hospital or prison because of drinking? hospital yes cos i fell and hit my head

kevmy wrote:

So putting what you did in context my large amount of alcohol on friday night is only regular for you.

QUOTE]

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you people not listening to me?

i dont drink that every week-It was just that weekend- i normally have 10 cans on a fri night and dont drink the rest of the weekend

missmatty wrote:
    18 cans and a bottle of wine for a girl?!

Tell us how you feel the day after that.

i felt like **** TBH i was dying

5starpool wrote:
    The weekend you describe is certainly not normal and healthy, and it's a long time since I was able to drink anything like that one one night, however I think most of the posts here are a bit OTT to be honest. .

Thank you- I dont drink like that every weekend but people on here think i do- i think they misread my orginal post.

5starpool wrote:
    However, you said that in a normal week you drink only on a friday night at home and have around 10 cans. Ok, this is a lot for a girl especially but if it is a once weekly occurance then I don't think it'll do an awful lot of harm.

Its not even every weekend-Maybe we will go for a meal or cinema or something it depends on our mood-But most weekends its just the cans on a friday night. 10 cans is a lot but i can hold my drink so i tend to drink more

• Advertisement

MicraBoy wrote:
    pepper you posted your stats in the Fitness forum this time last year.

Regardless of if you are an alcoholic, you are living a desperately unhealthy life style. Drink is one of the major factors causing your obesity. That should be a good enough reason to give up the drink permanently.

im 12 stone now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

seriously why did you post this thread if you didn't actaully want to hear what people wanted to hear, or did you just think that everybody would say no you are fine. Cop yourself on, dear christ girl do you actually think what you drank last week is a safe amount to drink even if it was a one off.

I have to say from some of the threads you have posted over the last year you are just a girl with some serious problem who for some strange reason seem to be oblivious to this fact, truthfully if I was you I would go looking for help and not just for your drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think a lot of people (including myself) read your first post correctly. We were commenting on drinking 10 cans in one night. That's a lot of drink.

Also if you're 5 ft tall and 12 stone you're still living a very unhealthy lifestyle. I'm not 12 stone and I'm a good 7 inches taller than you.

pepper wrote:

are you people not listening to me?

i dont drink that every week-It was just that weekend- i normally have 10 cans on a fri night and dont drink the rest of the weekend
    10 cans every friday is still too much.
    Also if you're 5 ft tall and 12 stone you're still living a very unhealthy lifestyle. I'm not 12 stone and I'm a good 7 inches taller than you.
    Exactly. Fewer cans every week might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

10 cans isnt as terrible as everybody is making it out to be in fairness. I think its made to look worse by the fact that the OP drinks them when she is sitting at home and not out in some club on the lash that almost inevitably involves mixing with spirits which in my opinion is a lot worse. And as for the lad who suggested 10 cans would put a woman in a coma, you must be hanging around with some very virtuous girls bud.

18 cans and a bottle of wine is undoubtedly excessive but she said that was an isolated incideny and in fairness id say 10 cans or its alcoholic equivalent is what a large percentage of people within the 18-25 age group drink every weekend in this country and in most cases more then that, so i wouldnt really think 10 cans every weekend is as radically excessive as people are making it out to be by irish standards anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Evzer wrote:
    10 cans isnt as terrible as everybody is making it out to be in fairness. I think its made to look worse by the fact that the OP drinks them when she is sitting at home and not out in some club on the lash that almost inevitably involves mixing with spirits which in my opinion is a lot worse. And as for the lad who suggested 10 cans would put a woman in a coma, you must be hanging around with some very virtuous girls bud.

18 cans and a bottle of wine is undoubtedly excessive but she said that was an isolated incideny and in fairness id say 10 cans or its alcoholic equivalent is what a large percentage of people within the 18-25 age group drink every weekend in this country and in most cases more then that, so i wouldnt really think 10 cans every weekend is as radically excessive as people are making it out to be by irish standards anyway..

just because everyone drinks it doesnt make it ok

if a large percentage of 18-25 year olds shot up heroin would that make it alright?

10 cans in one night every week is excessive drinking. You may be ok now, but long term your are doing serious damage to your body. FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

18 cans and a bottle of wine in one sitting is piggery.:eek: Pure and simple.

It doesn't matter that you are not hiding vodka bottles in your cistern or leaving the gas on for a week at a time, that amount of alcohol consumed in one sitting is severe binge drinking. You'd be far better to drink every day and have 2 or 3 cans or a couple of glasses of wine than have the whole lot in one sitting.

There are over two units in a can of lager and 8 units in a bottle of wine. So that evening you consumed FORTY FOUR UNITS OF ALCOHOL and TWO THOUSAND, TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY CALORIES. (That's a conservative estimate)

I think your sister may have a point. It's no good saying you hardly drink and then making a pig of yourself. It's like going on a diet and eating bigmacs and pies for the entire weekend and "being good" the rest of the time. Consuming the above in one sitting is doing real damage to your liver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

A 5ft female weighing 12 stone? Erm.. unless you're an olympic weightlifter then you're clinically obese, as your BMI works out at about 33.

And a daily intake of only 800 calories?

But you drink 18 cans + a bottle of wine, totalling over 3000 calories in a single session... :eek:

I don't think you have a drinking problem, you just have a problem with life in general :)

Anyways, I thought I was bad but you made me feel so much better. Thanks!

I'm not saying its not excessive or that their isnt an inherent cycle of abusive drinking within this country atm. It was more of a commentary on how some people in this thread appear to be out of touch with reality treating like the 2nd coming of george best or somethin because she drinks 10cans once a week, when in the grand scheme of things its not that much to be honest...

Evzer wrote:
    I'm not saying its not excessive and that their isnt an inherent cycle of abusive drinking within this country atm. It was more of a commentary on how some people in this thread appear to be out of touch with reality treating like the 2nd coming of george best or somethin because she drinks 10cans once a week, when in the grand scheme of things its not that much to be honest...
    Just because some people drink even more does not mean that this level is fine.

You're not saying it's not excessive but you are saying it's not much - which is it?

Im saying its excessive to a point,but if you compare it to how much some other young people, male and female (especially students) drink in a week it is not that much but thats the drinking culture in this country. I'm not saying its fine or healthy by any means but i certainly wouldnt get up on my high horse here and call anyone who drinks that much once a week an alcoholic or suggest that they had a 'problem in their life'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think that if you answer yes to more than 1 of those questions you have possibly got a problem. I have always thought that was a little bit harsh, and possibly alarmist, but perhaps it depends on which question.
    pepper wrote:

If I honestly answered yes to that question I would be terrified. If your alcohol consumption has decreased your ambition then it is obviously effecting just about every aspect of your life.

You have a problem.

You may not be an alcoholic, but you are an alcohol abuser. Tackle it now and you may be able to deal with it and take back control of your drinking. If you let things continue as they are, they will probably only get worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

netman wrote:
    A 5ft female weighing 12 stone? Erm.. unless you're an olympic weightlifter then you're clinically obese, as your BMI works out at about 33.

And a daily intake of only 800 calories?

But you drink 18 cans + a bottle of wine, totalling over 3000 calories in a single session... :eek:

I don't think you have a drinking problem, you just have a problem with life in general :)

Anyways, I thought I was bad but you made me feel so much better. Thanks!

I agree.
    First thing is first you have to know yourself that being 12 stone and 5ft tall and drinking 10+cans on a friday night while watching tv is a bad way to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭dirtyharry1971

Be carefull with that it can get out of hand I personally had a bit of a problem meself but at the time didn't really realise it either my demon was voldka (not a big fan of whiskey or other spirits)

I used to binge for 2/3 days on the stuff all while being sociable mind you. Always out in pubs clubs house partys. To make matters worse I got to know all the barmaids in my local used to buzz and maybe flirt a bit with so they would always give me a triple even more voldka and red bull/coke (whatever i fancied) in pintglasses for the price of a short coz no matter how much I drank I wouldn't get rowdy or cause trouble just had great crack maybe used to get a bit hyper at times but never cause trouble. The problem was I wouldn't really get hangovers and would go into work on time monday morning feeling grand even though I suspect i was still pissed half of the time most monday morns. I did this for the past 2 years. I did drink before that but the big session as I call it only escalated in the past 2 years. would go out on a friday and keep going all weekend most times going straight from a session into work.

To me i didn't see a problem well I did but used to laugh at it coz it never seemed to beat me. My freinds didn't see a problem as I was always up for a session but wouldn't get them into trouble (a reliable drinkin buddy)

My family however particualaraly my sister was very worried about me she had visions of me having a massive heart attack some night and that would be that. Well that didn't happen but what did towards the end was after 2 days off binge drinking nothing but pints of voldka and red bull (pint glasses) half full most of em i took a turn for the worse. Woke up on the Monday morning felt ok as usual just a bit tired. Went into work was ok all morning then at about 1pm started feeling really faint vision started going like I was in a tunnel. felt like I was gonna collapse beads of sweat and all it was only when a work colleague came over and actually said i should go to se a doctor or hospital that i realised this is the end.

Went to the doctor and he took one look at me and sent me to hospital had a load of tests done and spent the next 2 weeks in bed was never so sick in all my life would sleep for 12 hours get up and find myself falling asleep continuously couldn't stay awake. after 2 weeks though I was well enough to go back to work and gave up drinking while i was getting various test results. After 2 months i made a full recovery and according to the doctors it didn't look like I had damaged my liver. In fact when advised of the punishment I had given myself they were surprised I hadn't. Think it was just an extreme case of alcohol poisoning (I know I was a moron) took it as a warning anyway was gonna give it up completely but admittadly do still have the odd drink the full weekend binges are gone go out maybe once a week and drink pints most the time these days.

Wow thats quite a rant
    Bottom line you may think it isn't a problem and it may not be affecting you social (definitely not) or work or love life but it will affect YOU we all like to think we are invincible sometimes trust me your not and the sooner you learn that the better otherwise it will be the same for you. Trust me you don't wanna go down that road you sing a different tune when you think your on deaths door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Although your not hooked, you are destroying your internal organs. But sure everytime you have a diet softdrink your destroying yor brain... so pick the organs you least like and destroy that one...

Highly misleading. There is little conclusive evidence that aspartame or any other sweetener causes significant brain damage in humans. It will certainly not destroy the brain in the same way that alcohol will destroy the liver.

Mind you, I avoid aspartame on the vaguely superstitious basis that I find it makes me tired.

I suspect weight (or possibly body fat percentage) makes a big difference. I've noticed that since I lost weight recently, my alcohol tolerance has dropped considerably. (I'm 5'10, a little under 10 stone. Anything more than four pints and I'll be very drunk). OP, what height, weight are you?

(Edit: I missed that the OP was morbidly obese when first posting. That might partially explain a high tolerance, and of course the alcohol over-consumption is likely a factor in the weight. I'm assuming the weight/height figures are correct and current; they seem almost unbelievable to me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

pepper wrote:
    Is drinking making your home life unhappy? no

Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare? no

Do you drink because you are shy with other people? no

Is drinking affecting your reputation? no

Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble? sometimes

Do you drink alone? no

Have you lost time from work due to drinking? no

Has your efficiency decreased since drinking? no

Is drinking jeopardising your job or business? no

Have you ever felt remorse after drinking? yes

Are you in financial difficulties as a result of drinking? nope

Do you turn to or seek an inferior environment when drinking? no

Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily? no

Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping? yep

Do you want a drink the next morning? god no id b dying

Do you drink to build up your self-confidence? it helps

Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking? yes

Has your doctor ever treated you for drinking? no

Have you ever been in hospital or prison because of drinking? hospital yes cos i fell and hit my head

TOTAL SCORE: 6/7
    What’s your score?

If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning
    that you may be alcoholic.
    If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.
    If you have answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.
    Why do we say this? Only because the experience of hundreds of thousands of
    recovering alcoholics has taught us some basic truths about our symptoms – and
    about ourselves.

Advertisement