Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin POI updates for Ireland ?

• 13-02-2007 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I have a Garmin 310c (hopefully with v9 maps on the way. But I was wondering, do you know of any site where it's possible to download POI for the units that pertain to Ireland only ?

There's a couple of them for the UK (natch), but I've yet to come across an Irish one.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to edit the POI that I've stored on my unit already, I can't seem to find a way of backing it up to my PC.

One more thing, is it possible to remove all UK references from the system so that it's just an Irish one ?

TNX

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Try here : http://www.poihandler.com/default.aspx

Also , do try and upload some of your own custom POI's to the site , the more we put on the more we can share .

Perhaps a POI thread is in order .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

How do I upload my own then ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

You have to log on to the site and use the Upload POI tab , you need to have your GPS connected at the time .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think there is a shortage of POI for Ireland so far, mostly due to the lack of people putting together useful lists and sharing them out.

Garmin do have an application for helping you load POI lists onto your GPS here. Your custom POI's get stored in a different location to the default ones that are part of the existing maps which I don't think you can remove, but if your never going to the UK then having them on there is not really a major issue surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I have a load of them on my Garmin, & would love to be able to upload them but don't know how, they're also not catagorised, that's why I wanted to edit them first

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think that you can download any that you have saved on your GPS to the PC via Mapsource but I've not tried transfering any in that direction myself yet. Here is a page that describes how to get a list of POI's that you've obtained loaded onto your GPS though. When I transferred some UK speed camera locations onto mine I had to swap the longitude and latitude co-ordinates around from how they were supplied on the site I got them from though so be aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

Why isn't there a simple feature on everyones Sat Nav for adding POI's. E.g. Your are at an ATM, you press your current location on the GPS screen, it gives you the options: Save as Favourite or Save as POI. You select POI, it's offers you the chance to upload all information i.e. AIB, 042-1234567, atm@aib.ie, then add a symbol which has a name under it so you know that you are adding the correct feature so e.g. it's specifically an ATM and not Financial Institution, there is an option to edit the address e.g. add a street number, an additional piece of information etc. and it saves to your POI folder in the Sat Nav. These can be uploaded to a website for free and then everyone can download them for free.

I don't see the point in you paying a subscription for a site then you doing all the work e.g. uploading points and speed cameras and them getting the money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JohnOF

iMax wrote: »
    Lads,

I have a Garmin 310c (hopefully with v9 maps on the way. But I was wondering, do you know of any site where it's possible to download POI for the units that pertain to Ireland only ?

There's a couple of them for the UK (natch), but I've yet to come across an Irish one.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to edit the POI that I've stored on my unit already, I can't seem to find a way of backing it up to my PC.

One more thing, is it possible to remove all UK references from the system so that it's just an Irish one ?

TNX

Try http://www.mypois.ie/ for Irish POIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jrichardca

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere but my question is this - Is there a downloadable map of Ireland for a Garmin Nuvi 265WT? I cannot seem to find one online. I need more than just a city map of Dublin or Cork. I need rural area maps for all over Ireland. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Garmin sell Garmin City Navigator Europe [ https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6299&pvID=7880# ] which covers all roadways in Europe including all of Ireland.
    If you are looking for Ordnance Survey (off-road) maps of Ireland for a Garmin you are out of luck. Ordance Survey Ireland (OSi) and Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland (OSNI) both refuse to sell their maps to Garmin like everyone else. I have bought OS maps of Ireland from GeoLives but the maps will not export as maps to the Garmin.
    Hope this helps.
    John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

JohnOF wrote: »
    If you are looking for Ordnance Survey (off-road) maps of Ireland for a Garmin you are out of luck. Ordance Survey Ireland (OSi) and Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland (OSNI) both refuse to sell their maps to Garmin like everyone else. I have bought OS maps of Ireland from GeoLives but the maps will not export as maps to the Garmin.
    Hope this helps.
    John.

Apparantly something is on the cards:
    http://www.osi.ie/en/alist/osi-trailmaster.aspx

Coming Soon...

Other digital mapping software using OSi data are currently being produced by Anquet Mapping, Satmap, and Garmin and will be available in the coming months.

The Trail Master series is pre-GeoLives and does not cover the whole country. as I understabd it, Trail Master is on its way out!
    I have recently communicated with Garmin about off-road mapping and they mentioned nothing about new up-and-coming Garmin maps of Ireland. However, Garmin is a big company and maybe the individal I e-mailed wasn't aware of it.
    John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

The Trail Master series is pre-GeoLives and does not cover the whole country. as I understabd it, Trail Master is on its way out!

Even though this was on a page called "osi-trailmaster.aspx", its really about "Digital Mapping Software Produced by our Business Partners"
    I have recently communicated with Garmin about off-road mapping and they mentioned nothing about new up-and-coming Garmin maps of Ireland. However, Garmin is a big company and maybe the individal I e-mailed wasn't aware of it.
    John.

My best guess is that an Irish Garmin product will be the same as the GBDiscover

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jrichardca

Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IrlJidel wrote: »
    My best guess is that an Irish Garmin product will be the same as the GBDiscover
    It could be, but they'd be limiting themselves to customers with GPS's that can handle raster mapping, i.e. Oregon and certain Colorado models. They could also be bringing out an equivalent of their current Topo GB which is a (non-routable) vector product, which would open them up to the potentially larger market of etrex owners.

Advertisement