Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission & sewers?

• 14-02-2007 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi

Apologies if this is a repeat, a quick scan and I didnt come up with anything.

I am planning on extending my existing res in DLR CoCo area, rather than go through the pain of applying for planning I expect to keep the build within the 40 sqm restriction.

The only thing Im worried about is the sewer which runs across the current boundary passing 3m from the back of the house. Im intending to build 6m out so obviously that would mean digging and pouring concrete right over the pipe.

Assuming I relocate the manhole for the sewer is it

a) frowned upon (but acceptable) to build over a sewer pipe which could limit access in the event of a problem ... assuming of course that the manhole is relocated to provide access.

b) something which requires planning permission irrespective of the size of the intended extension.

I would be surprised if its b) considering the number of conservatories etc which can be built without planning.

If needs be, I can have some lucky person relocate the sewer line around the new boundary but just wondering how absolutely essential it really is.

Only thing in my favour is that im at the 'start' of the line so, barring my next door neighbour... it well, all goes downhill from there :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you are at the start of the run you shouldn't have any great problems. Just make sure (if possible) to have manholes close to where the pipe will be entering and exiting under the new extension. As you rightly said it will have to be well protected.

The Council don't really want anyone building on top of a storm or foul water drain but this is one of the anomalies of the exemption to PP. Worse case scenario is the Council could ask you to re-route the pipe. That is if they were aware of a building going up at that location. But in fairness I would rather have the sewer going around the building than under so for the little bit of extra cost I would re-route voluntarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭Johnniep

Are you in a line of terrace houses with the drainage running along the back garden of the houses? If this is the case, then the CoCo generally view these as private drains. You have a 2 real options open to you:

1. Divert the drain where it enters the site and around the propsoed extension. Messy and depends on the available falls!

2. Build over it. In this case you have to detail your foundations/floors etc to avoid overloading the sewer.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Im in a semi-d, but from what I understand its one common sewer running to the top of the street.

The line runs through everyones back garden about 3m from the back door so I guess this falls into the private classification.

Onto the planning dept, apparently I have to talk to the planning guys responsible for drainage.

Anyone applied for Section 5 certs?

Advertisement