Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker, Horse Racing, Greyhound Racing

Options
  • 14-02-2007 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

I see a request on Helpdesk from Lafortezza requesting the poker Forum be moved to a higher profile location. As it's Helpdesk I can't respond there.

May I suggest that Poker, Horse Racing and Greyhound Racing all be made Subforums of Gambling?

After all isn't that the primary purpose of all three activities?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'd be more of the opinion that poker would be better suited under games, sports, Biz or Rec than as a subforum of 'gambling'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I would think of Bridge, Canasta, Rummy as games.
    Poker is a different kettle of fish. If not played for stakes it loses meaning.
    Gambling is under Rec as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

The poker forum is way bigger than the gambling forum, 5th biggest forum on the whole site.
    Having it as a subforum of a much much smaller forum doesn't really make sense from a structure point of view.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not running down the importance of the Poker Forum in any way whatsoever. It gets huge traffic, I read it every day but I never post because everybody seems so knowledgeable and well, I'm not. I was just offering the suggestion that as a very popular form of gambling it may be suited to be a subforum of Gambling. I totally agree that where it is now is obscure and it should be moved. Where to is the question.

I'm not suggesting any arrangements regarding mods or anything else. Those types of decisions are not for the likes of me.

Would anyone agree about the Horse/Greyhound racing suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

is there a problem with where horse racing is at the moment??
    i think its fine where it is.

i agree with Laf re the poker forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Imposter wrote:
    I'd be more of the opinion that poker would be better suited under games, sports, Biz or Rec than as a subforum of 'gambling'
    Poker? A sport? Gimme a break!

Amz wrote:
    Well Darts and Cricket ;) are in there! :p

Define a sport and I bet you'll find a few of the so called sports under the category don't match your definition.

if it's something along the lines of this: (as taken from dictionary.com)
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature

then poker would qualify as it 'requires' skill and it can be competitive.

As for the original suggestion what's to stop us from putting Soccer and/or Big Brother as sub-forums of gambling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think it's an insult to jockeys to suggest that they are not sportsmen. You have no idea how fit/strong/disciplined those guys have to be.

Of course it's a sport. It's the sport of kings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Imposter wrote:
    1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature
    Which is what cricket comes under.

:rolleyes:

Wait until the bandwagon comes around in a few weeks.

And for the record. Just about everything could be put under the heading Gambling. I bet ya.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Which is what cricket comes under.
    And here was me thinknig I used a smilie!

And how bored do you have to be to start threads like these?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Imposter wrote:
    Well Darts and Cricket ;) are in there! :p

Define a sport and I bet you'll find a few of the so called sports under the category don't match your definition.

if it's something along the lines of this: (as taken from dictionary.com)

then poker would qualify as it 'requires' skill and it can be competitive.

As for the original suggestion what's to stop us from putting Soccer and/or Big Brother as sub-forums of gambling?
    You think poker is "an athletic activity"?

Surely something like this would be best:

Rec
    --Gambling
    ---Gambling
    ---Greyhound Racing
    ---Horse Racing
    ---Poker
    ---Other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Poker isn't gambling though! Not in the same sense as horse or greyhound racing. You have control over your own outcome. Put it under games along with backgammon and the likes if your gonna put it anywhere.

Surely something like this would be best:

Rec
    --Gambling
    ---Gambling
    ---Greyhound Racing
    ---Horse Racing
    ---Poker
    ---Other.

Perhaps to keep people happy that the above could happen, but that links remain for the sports in the sports dropdown (similar to boards.tv for some fora appearing in two categories).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You'd have to move Soccer under gambling too then, theres a huge amount of gambling goes on on its results.

This thread smacks of troll.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

raido9 wrote:
    Poker isn't gambling though! Not in the same sense as horse or greyhound racing. You have control over your own outcome. Put it under games along with backgammon and the likes if your gonna put it anywhere.
    You control the outcome of Horse Racing etc by researching it. There is an element of luck involved, of course. It's the exact same with poker. That's how people become professional gamblers.

CiaranC wrote:
    This thread smacks of troll.

This is not a troll. That is a totally unjustified personal attack and has been reported.

It's a genuine question not without some merit. Take away the money gambles on the dogs and the horses and see how many big races survive. Many sports survive on TV rights / advertising. If you think poker isn't gambling you are codding yourself. It's classed a gambling by most States I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ive reported you for blatant trolling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Amz wrote:

Well Darts is in the Sports Cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

What about Religion, the biggest gamble of them all

There are some forums that don't fit too nicely, television under arts I've always found strange. Don't think having poker in the the sports section sounds right, even under gambling and don't think grey hound racing/horse racing should automatically be put there either. While theres a clear association its somewhere I wouldn't automatically look, if I was trying to find them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Dub13 wrote:
    Well Darts is in the Sports Cat.
    That's a game, it's not a sport, I don't think it should be under sports either.

Any game where a fat bastard downing pints in a pub can be considered an athletic competitor is not a sport and it's a joke in my opinion.

You can all get upset at me for that, but frankly I don't give a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Sounds like the OP has absolutely no understanding of Poker or Horse Racing.

If Horse Racing where under gambling then were would breeding, jockies, courses, favourite memories, best races, favoured horses, rules etc. etc. be discussed as all of these topics are elements of the sport of horse racing but have nothing to do with gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Darts is a sport. Your using your arm in a skillful way to throw the dart to try and win. Just like tennis you use your arm the best you can, you're standing up and positioning your body to get the best results and out do the opposition. Poker is a game of skill, you're using you head and not your body in anyway, doesn't matter how skllfully you can throw your cards on the table, to me it's not a sport as your body doesn't come into it. Darts mightn't take much physical effort but it does take some, players don't aimlessly throw the dart, it needs to be done with some sort of physical skill & precision.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Any more of you ****ers insult cricket and i'll be getting me bat ;)

If I had known this was going to be so emotive I wouldnever have started the thread.

@CiaranC There is no sign of any report against me via the reported post forum or in Feedback.

Hagar wrote:
    If I had known this was going to be so emotive I wouldnever have started the thread.

@CiaranC There is no sign of any report against me via the reported post forum or in Feedback.

Why did you start the thread then? Out of interest. Does it offend you so much to see horse racing, greyhounds and darts etc in the sports menu? How will it benefit the forum on the whole if these forums are moved?

If you REALLY thought about it you could probably find a reason to move every forum on here...but who wants to do that? Especially when they're fine where they are now. And if I was CiaranC I'd report you now just for being pretentious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Amz wrote:
    Any game where a fat bastard downing pints in a pub can be considered an athletic competitor is not a sport .

Pro wrestling? </troll>

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

psi wrote:
    Pro wrestling? </troll>

Well, the forum would obviously belong in Arts, not Sports tbh.

Hagar wrote:

Nah, it's just that calling poker gambling is only going to result in the "Poker is not Gambling Brigade" (PINGB) coming out in force.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    Why did you start the thread then? Out of interest. Does it offend you so much to see horse racing, greyhounds and darts etc in the sports menu? How will it benefit the forum on the whole if these forums are moved?

If you REALLY thought about it you could probably find a reason to move every forum on here...but who wants to do that? Especially when they're fine where they are now. And if I was CiaranC I'd report you now just for being pretentious.

I seem to have inadvertantly touched a nerve here. Why are people being so defensive? It was only a suggestion. A simple suggestion. Ignore it if you like. Just don't start calling me a troll and pretentious because that is uncalled for.

The truth is that CiaranC didn't report me , he just made noises about it to look good on the thread. As a mod you can see the reported posts sub-forum and you know he didn't. If I did something that warrents it why don't you report me?

This is madness. :confused:

Advertisement