Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker, Horse Racing, Greyhound Racing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I called you pretentious because of the "I'm a mod I can see you didn't report me nonsense."

And I agree, this thread is a touch of madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Of course I didnt report you, what are we still in school telling the teacher on each other here? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should think things through before making stupid statements like the ones on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Is is pretentious now to challenge a lie?

I think you know what I mean Hagar.

fade2black wrote:
    I called you pretentious because of the "I'm a mod I can see you didn't report me nonsense."
    I know you can fabricate quotes.

I'm goint to get a bigger handbag. I'll be back in a minute.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

lolz, this is why I posted in Helpdesk and not Feedback.

What are the chances of moving poker to Rec?

Hagar wrote:
    I know you can fabricate quotes.

I'm goint to get a bigger handbag. I'll be back in a minute.:D

Your handbag is no match for my Dunnes Stores Bag for Life

CiaranC wrote:
    Of course I didnt report you, what are we still in school telling the teacher on each other here? :rolleyes:

Maybe you should think things through before making stupid statements like the ones on this thread.

Why did you pretend to then? I certainly didn't.

Please feel free to quote the "stupid statements".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

What's the story with unofficial gambling and poker etc? Are they legal? (Just asking btw, no handbags please)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

lafortezza wrote:
    lolz, this is why I posted in Helpdesk and not Feedback.

Smart move that. :)
    lafortezza wrote:
    What are the chances of moving poker to Rec?

Out of curiosity, why would Rec be 'better'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

nesf wrote:
    Well, the forum would obviously belong in Arts, not Sports tbh.
    I thought fantasy/scifi subforum, alot of the costumes are similar.......

nesf wrote:
    Out of curiosity, why would Rec be 'better'?
    Because poker is a hobby like alot of the forums under Rec. And mostly because the current location of the poker forum is too hidden and the Games category is 99% to do with computer/video games. And the poker forum is big so probably should have a higher profile place in the forum structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

good few professional hobbyists...

RuggieBear wrote:
    good few professional hobbyists...
    Not as many as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Amz wrote:
    Gimme a break!

somebody call my name?

lafortezza wrote:
    Because poker is a hobby like alot of the forums under Rec. And mostly because the current location of the poker forum is too hidden and the Games category is 99% to do with computer/video games. And the poker forum is big so probably should have a higher profile place in the forum structure.

Should larger forums need a higher profile place in the forum structure? Surely the success of the poker forum would show that people will find what they are interested in so long as it's relatively intuitive (Games -> Real Life Games -> Poker would seem to make sense to me any ways). :)

I don't know about the hobby argument though surely nearly all aspects of gaming (in all it's myriad forms) are all hobbies when you get down to it. Same goes for painting, etc, etc..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I agree with lafortezza,Poker would be more suited to Rec.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I agree with Hagar.

Poker, Horse racing and the dogs would be better off in Gambling.

nesf wrote:
    Should larger forums need a higher profile place in the forum structure? Surely the success of the poker forum would show that people will find what they are interested in so long as it's relatively intuitive (Games -> Real Life Games -> Poker would seem to make sense to me any ways). :)
    It's easy to miss if you're just using the dropdowns, when you look under games all you see is a list of comp/video games.
    For a forum that's bigger than Politics, Personal Issues, Broadband, Humour, the 2 biggest music subforums combined, Films, bigger than all the TV forums put together, you don't think it should be placed in a slightly more prominent position?
    I don't know about the hobby argument though surely nearly all aspects of gaming (in all it's myriad forms) are all hobbies when you get down to it. Same goes for painting, etc, etc..
    I agree, the Games category is all comp/video games, Rec is for all kinds of hobbies among other main forums like AH and Motors. Putting poker alongside these makes sense.

I think poker is quite different than Horse Racing and Greyhound Racing, they are both sports where poker isn't a sport. I think all three forums would prefer not to be associated with people's notions of gambling (usually negative).
    If you put up a poll in the poker forum on whether poker was gambling or not the results would clearly show that poker players feel skill and knowledge play a far more important role. But that's getting off topic anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

At the moment Poker is a sub forum of Real World Games,Rec is a much better description of Poker.Real World Games sounds like hop scotch or something like that IMO.

• Advertisement

lafortezza wrote:
    If you put up a poll in the poker forum on whether poker was gambling or not the results would clearly show that poker players feel skill and knowledge play a far more important role. But that's getting off topic anyway.

But, it would be incorrect. Or at least, it would be incorrect according to the actual definition of the word, trying to avoid the negative connotations associated with a word is not a valid reason for redefining it so that it does not apply to you. Or at least, it is intellectually dishonest to do so. It's not that off-topic really though, since the topic seems to be a proposal to move poker et al under the heading of gambling. :)

How are you judging forum size btw? Total number of post, number of threads or which exactly? Or is there a better way to measure traffic? (Again just curious rather than arguing the point)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Its the equivalent of putting AH as a subforum of Gardening/DIY.

Although the poker one structurally makes sense it doesn't from a conveniece point of view. A lot of people visit Poker, they shouldn't have to navigate different sub-forums to get to it. Its big enough to be under Rec, its a lot bigger than most of the other forums there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

lafortezza wrote:

A poll in a poker forum can say whatever it likes, its still a forum of gambling. I dont know that upsets you or other poker players though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Jesus people its an awful lot of talk on whether to decide if the Poker forum should be moved from its present location....

I'd be of the impression that an awful lot of people would see it from the main page and the recent posts.... almost always there is a recent post that has come from the poker forum. People click on the recent post, go to the poker forum and subscribe/bookmark it. Simple!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've never bet on a dog or horse personally... :)

Rec might be a good place for it alright.

(This is what the Subbed forums list is for by the way!)

I'll muse it over with the other admins and if anyone has anything (other then handbags!) please post it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Where can I post if I think fade2black is not qualified to be a mod. He's almost always insulting and seems to go out of his way to cause arguments, from my experience. Very unprofessional imo.

NOTE: I would not qualify as a mod either as I bear many of the same characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Also poker is a game. Games >> Poker would be best imo.
    Games >> Computer Games >> etc would be better too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Firstly I'm not trying to offend anyone or any forum with this!

Why are computer games not under a Comp games sub-forum? Then why should poker be under a real world games sub-forum? It is hidden there for no good reason.

Nesf: Surely Investments and Markets should go under gambling then?

My opinion: Take poker out from under the real world games (in fact get rid of that completely) and put it either under games or Rec.

I don't believe Horse racing or greyhound racing should be under gambling either. There are other things that can be discussed about these sports than just the gambling aspect.

Ruggie: Leave your bat where it is I was only joking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

eolhc wrote:
    Darts is a sport. Your using your arm in a skillful way to throw the dart to try and win. Just like tennis you use your arm the best you can, you're standing up and positioning your body to get the best results and out do the opposition. Poker is a game of skill, you're using you head and not your body in anyway, doesn't matter how skllfully you can throw your cards on the table, to me it's not a sport as your body doesn't come into it. Darts mightn't take much physical effort but it does take some, players don't aimlessly throw the dart, it needs to be done with some sort of physical skill & precision.
    *yawn*

I bet you bought a Wii and justified it by saying it was helping you exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

The dmoz hierarchy, which we mostly follow, seems to suggest Games -> Gambling -> Poker, which looks good to me.

(Yes, I understand that it would upset a lot of the regulars).

Advertisement