Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker, Horse Racing, Greyhound Racing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If darts isnt a sport then neither are shooting or archery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

There's more to shooting than standing in front of a target with a pint in one hand and a dart in the other. There are many different forms and aspects to shooting, you cannot compare them.

You really haven't a clue.

Darts is not a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Labelling poker under "gambling" would be misleading and inaccurate IMO. Poker is a game, where the winners are generally the most skillful players in the short - term and definately the most skillful players over the long haul.

It is played on a widespread basis in Ireland by people who view it as a form of recreation or hobby. A small percentage of the total playing pool in Ireland currently depend upon it as their sole means of income.

Therefore, it would not be out of place in Rec or Games. But the "real world" games sub - forum is non - sensical as far as I am concerned.

Games - Poker / Backgammon / chess / comp games - with other subs

Would seem better, if there is opposition to sticking it in Rec (where it probably should be on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Amz wrote:
    There's more to shooting than standing in front of a target with a pint in one hand and a dart in the other. There are many different forms and aspects to shooting, you cannot compare them.

Darts is not a sport.
    Tell us, oh spastico, what are the differences between Darts and Archery/Shooting then, all games which involve using a projectile to hit a target in various areas to score points?

Apart from the fact that you can play Darts in a pub and drink a beer while doing it (Presumably you dont think Snooker is a sport either then?).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Darts is a game, not a sport, it should be under games/rec.

I'd also appreciate it if you refrained from calling me names. It's not very sportsmanlike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Amz wrote:

Darts is not a sport.

yeah unfortunately this is still the typical image some people have of darts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ffFo2Ymrck&mode=related&search=

As far as i know cigarettes and beer have been banned from the stages for the world championships etc. years ago, didn't snooker have the same the same sort of image aswell. Maybe down the pub it's more a game but it doesn't mean it not a sport. To me shooting is the same as darts, if a shooter takes a drink of whatever does it mean its not a sport or if somebody uses a gun to kill somebody does it mean all shooting is not a sport :rolleyes:
    I'd argue too that there is as much physical effort throwing a dart as pulling a trigger and basically with both shooting and darts the goal is pretty much the same ;)

Anyway to me I can see why seperating computer games from real world games make sense as they're different things, having real world games or poker under rec might be more logical

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

CiaranC wrote:
    Tell us, oh spastico

If you cannot make a coherent argument without resorting to name calling then don't bother posting in this forum again.

Don't ever let me see you calling any member of this site a name like that again or you'll be taking a holiday from here.

B

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Forget it, he's already banned from this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Amz wrote:

I'd also appreciate it if you refrained from calling me names. It's not very sportsmanlike.
    What would a darts player know about sportsmanship?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'd put poker under games. It is only gambling if you haven'y got a clue on how to play.

Prior to reading up on it I thought it was gambling too, which you can play as such but end up loosing more money against those who are actually studying the cards, players, bets, etc.

Name calling is a game not a sport. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Oh yea and Quake should be moved under sports. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

lafortezza wrote:
    The poker forum is way bigger than the gambling forum, 5th biggest forum on the whole site.
    Having it as a subforum of a much much smaller forum doesn't really make sense from a structure point of view.

I'm in total agreement with this. The same goes for the Horse Racing forum.
    Where can I post if I think fade2black is not qualified to be a mod. He's almost always insulting and seems to go out of his way to cause arguments, from my experience. Very unprofessional imo.

NOTE: I would not qualify as a mod either as I bear many of the same characteristics.

At the risk of sounding pedantic I will answer you. You could create a thread in Feedback about it, but in order for anyone to take that bold statement of yours seriously you need to know what you are on about; and you do not.
    I can safely say, that you do not know the characteristics for becoming a mod are, and since you are not a regular Horse Racing forum viewer or contributor I can also safely say that you do not know how good a mod fade2black actually is - it is clear that you do not know what the criteria are for being a good Mod. You also don't know that a Mod is only a Mod in the forum he Moderates, outside of that he is just a regular user. If it wasn't for the fade2black the Horse Racing forum would have died a few years back.

Getting back on topic...

I'm not really a regular on the Poker forum, but if they were happy with the suggested move to Rec then there shouldn't be a problem.

Personally Horse Racing under Sports is fine as it is, for the exact reasons masterK pointed out a few pages back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Thanks for your defence Sjones.

Cardshark202 should really back up statements like the one he made.

My guess though is that he's bitter about this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055037437

If the Horse Racing Forum is moved from its current home to somewhere in Gambling, it will be minus one mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Personally I'd prefer for the Poker forum to remain where it is before being moved under Gambling.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As would I. It would be nice to see it get a higher profile, but at the same time I only have the forums I mod bookmarked to go straight there and then navigate to any others as and when I need them. A lot of the people who use the poker forum either stumbled across it by accident using google or the likes or else were alerted to it's presence when actually playing live with people they knew who happened to be posters here, and that is how I found out about it around 18 months ago.

The current location isn't one that occasional users of forums such as AH or Soccer will just stumble across, and for the casual player of poker who doesn't know it is there this is a pity as it helps to immeasurably improve the game of people who play it but don't study it. There are plenty of threads that start something like "First time poster, long time reader and I just want to say thanks to everyone here who helped me by the quality and content of posts", and it is this that illustrates the difference between poker as a games of (largely, not exclusively) skill as opposed to pure gambling.

Rec would I think be an appropriate place (especially since the generic gambling forum is there) but not as a sub forum of anything.

On a pedantic note, if nothing else it might allow it to take it's rightful place at #5 in the most posts in a forum in the stats list as opposed to the evil Cuckoos Nest (that's right Adam, evil!!!).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

personally i would be in favour of merging Greyhound racing and Horse racing together. They should however stay in the sports catagory.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Amz wrote:
    *yawn*

I bet you bought a Wii and justified it by saying it was helping you exercise.

LOL...well played.

Hobbes wrote:
    I'd put poker under games. It is only gambling if you haven'y got a clue on how to play.

Prior to reading up on it I thought it was gambling too, which you can play as such but end up loosing more money against those who are actually studying the cards, players, bets, etc.

This is completely off-topic here. The subject was done to death in the poker forum and all we learned was that people like to change definitions of words and ignore mathematics because they don't like particular connotations that the general public attach to words.

To be clear, if you wish to express a preference on where it should live, then go right ahead. Statements in terms of what is and isn't gambling or a game or a sport or whatever is going to fall under my interpretation of DeVore's handbags comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I thing under rec is by far the best option here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Amz wrote:

Lol darts is a sport. You have to train to get very good at it. The days of playing darts with a pint in your hand are over. Watch the world darts championships. You obviously have no idea. Clueless posts annoy me.

That looks suspiciously like a handbag.

Under Rec then please. And not as a subforum of anything. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Are people just talking about poker here when they're saying under rec?

fade2black wrote:
    Are people just talking about poker here when they're saying under rec?
    I am, yes. I think it is also fair to assume that the other poker forum regulars requesting the same here are unconcerned with the placing of Horse and Greyhound racing.

yes poker under rec and keep horse racing and greyhound racing where they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

5starpool wrote:
    The current location isn't one that occasional users of forums such as AH or Soccer will just stumble across, and for the casual player of poker who doesn't know it is there this is a pity as it helps to immeasurably improve the game of people who play it but don't study it.

all very true but I really don't know if I want the casual online/live player learning more about the game. I like the fact that it's hidden away, even if I'm not playing that much anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Poker is a GAME. There's a mustard forum under rec ffs. Just give poker more prominence in Games. End Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

So no money is bet then?

Somebody gets a Royal Flush and is rewarded with a polite round of applause and a few "Well done" from his fellow "game" players. No money changes hands based on the fall of the cards? Who would play poker without the betting? It would be pointless.

Has anybody, over 18 obviously, ever gone to a race meeting, either horses or dogs, without placing a single bet? Would anybody actually go and watch animals running in circles, sometimes jumping over bushes if there was no prospect of winning a few shekels?

If you bet on the outcome of a card game or a race it's gambling.
    To say otherwise is an attempt at self-deceit.

/Edited for spelling

• Advertisement

Hagar get a grip will you and yes i have gone to horse racing and greyhound racing without placing a bet and i have also played poker regularly without money being invovled.
    People bet on everything from the next U.S pres, the next prime minister, the winner x factor, first try scorer in rugby and many many more things.

Advertisement