Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mael Mordha - Great Irish Doom Metal

• 14-02-2007 9:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭

i just discovered these guys today, and they're absolutely awesome. i listened to Cluain Tarb and it literally rocked my balls off. no kids for me.

http://www.myspace.com/maelmorda

From Wikipedia:
    Mael Mórdha is a Gaelic Doom Metal band from Ireland.

Formed in January 1998 by Roibéard Ó Bogail, Mael Mórdha (pronounced MAIL MOOR-AH) have blended Doom Metal and Gaelic Irish laments (the slower elements of Irish Folk Music) to create Gaelic Doom Metal.

The band have recorded four E.P.s, The Path to Insanity (Deasmumhan 1999),The Inferno Spreads (Deasmumhan 2000), Caoineadh na nGael (Self-Released 2002), Cluain Tarbh E.P. (Unreleased 2003).

i'm gettin myself a copy of Cluain Tarbh, and theres a new album out next month too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Alucard II wrote:
    it literally rocked my balls off. no kids for me.

Killer quote! MM do kick arse though, one of the finer bands from these shores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

They were on You're A Star

Videos of it here and all http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mael+mordha&search=Search

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Does anyopne know if they actually played dancing queen on teh show?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Saw them in the now defunct High stool in Limerick a fair few times. Must have been 4 years ago now. They put on some show, great face paint, costumes, and some brilliant alternative brass instruments. Great hooks and a brilliant idea. Really played this tiny pub show like it was a proper stage set. Had me happy.
    "WE PLAY CELTIC DEATH METAL!"
    What a kickass idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Does anyopne know if they actually played dancing queen on teh show?

Yeah they did, but their own interpretation of it.. Was class, but the twat judges just don't know good music I'm afraid - on the same page as the link above, but further down. Think You're a Star ratings must have been huge that night - everyone I know sat down to watch it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrDS00PqDsM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Have always meant to get some Mael Mordha, but if you want some superb irish doom metal get some Mourning Beloveth, unbelievably good doom metal from Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Pugsley wrote:
    Have always meant to get some Mael Mordha, but if you want some superb irish doom metal get some Mourning Beloveth, unbelievably good doom metal from Cork.

im checking them out now. THey seem really good!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Mael Mordha are savage alright, good bunch of lads too. They played an insane gig in Shortts in Castlebar years ago that was fortunately photo'd by a passing photographer for castlebar.ie and made for big exposure of our regular metal nights (back then). The reaction was priceless as MM are the definition of what norms think metal is, fellas dressed weird with long hair and face paint, sure how could we be right? :D

Last time I saw them was about a year ago in Voodoo and unfortunately I was only able to catch the last couple of songs as I'd been working. They were most excellent as usual and the singer had done away with the piano as it cut him off from the crowd. A fair point, dunno if they're still doing that. The music didn't suffer too much (from what I could tell from what I heard).

I've heard some Mourning Beloveth, one of those bands I keep meaning to get around to but not :) I shall make an effort this weekend.

And of course, no Irish Doom Metal thread would be complete without me spouting on about Wreck of the Hesperus... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I bought this a couple of weeks ago and am well impressed.
    Hope to see them live soon.

The best place to start with Mourning Beloveth is definately "The Sullen Sulcus", best doom metal album Ive ever heard.

Where would be the best place to start with Mael Mordha?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Two years ago I was on the bus into Drogheda and Rob O' Bogail sat beside me, we got talking and he told me about his band, then he gave me a demo with three songs on it, I still have it, it's good! He's a legend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Desecrator666

I may be nit picking but Mael Mordha ain't a Doom Metal band.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They call themselves Gaelic Doom Metal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

I may be nit picking but Mael Mordha ain't a Doom Metal band.
    so classify them for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

just wait till you hear their new album:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Alucard II

my album finally arrived. and yes, new one out soon. awesome album, title tracks my favourite.

just wait till you hear their new album:D
    I have :)

Managed to get my crummy mitts on it, superb stuff, great introduction to Mael Mordha, going to go off and get some of their other albums now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DOD Crew

I have smile.gif

Managed to get my crummy mitts on it, superb stuff, great introduction to Mael Mordha, going to go off and get some of their other albums now.

They only have two official full lenght releases (the others were all demos). The new album Gaeltacht Mael Mordha is out this Friday March 16th. One of the tracks is on the promo cd in this month's Terrorizer.

The first album Cluain Tarbh is almost sold out at this stage. It may be reissued by their new label but that may not happen for some time.

Advertisement