Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FON-Money Made?

• 14-02-2007 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who has made any money from their Fon modem? I have made 18euro in two months. Not so shabby.

FON - What are you? 4 votes

Bill
    0% 0 votes
    Linus
    25% 1 vote
    Alien
    75% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im a Linus, i started out as Bill but decided no one would pay for it in a small town in Westmeath. So at least with Linus i can use someone elses if i travel. Got one of their Skype SMC wifi phones too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yeah I figured no-one would use it either but two have. One person bought 3 five day passes at 10euro a pass the other day. Another buys about 3 passes a month. The only worry I have is what if they are downloading something like dodgy kiddy pron. Am I leaving myself open to risk?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only person who has ever logged onto my FON is me so far but I have it as a linus so that if I ever come across a FON whilst out and about I can make use of it.

Im surprised no one tried to make a few quid with it. Its worth a try - if you dont make any money you can switch over to being a linus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you lived in a city centre you might make some money but not in a housing estate or country home. Well a lot less likely than a city centre. Especially if you invest in a better antenna so people can actually get the signal.

• Advertisement

I read up on that about the antennae and they said that more people can see your signal but the quality may not be good enough for it to be usable. I disagree about the housing estate thing. Thats pretty much where I am and I imagine it is my neighbours who are using it. Imagine 3mb broadband with no download cap for 3euro a day. Its damn good value.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think the estate where I'm living must be populated by the wrong type of people though. I've only ever briefly detected one other network anywhere near my house which has since disappeared, there was also someones company laptop that I picked up once that they clearly didn't know had wireless on it.

It cold of course be that the three networks that are running from my house are drowning out every body else signals though. ;)

Oh well Im happy as a bill. My laptop is too heavy to carry around anyway. When I hit that 30euro ceiling for payout Im gonna party likes it 1999.
    (Ed says - you better go back there cause 30 euro dont go too far these days;)

Advertisement