Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virtual PC

• 14-02-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hey guys, does anyone here use Virtual PC on a regular basis? I have some questions about it that i cant seem to find any answers for on google and the like, but that could be because im not phrasing it correctly

Here is the situation. I installed a fresh copy of XP on a brand new HD. I have my old HD still, and its fine, its just that it was a slow IDe drive, and the new one is SATA. Anyway, the old install is fine, but i was wondering if there was a way to use Virtual PC to boot the old install from the old HD, so that i could export settings as i needed them while i work on my new install

i have created a Virtual HD linked to the physical drive (pity it never said how long said linking would take, about 3 hours!!) But when i start the virtual machine, it hangs at the boot.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Windows XP doesn't like hardware changes - the "hardware" that Virtual PC emulates/simulates/whatever will be totally different from the host PC it's running on, so it's just like running that XP install on a different PC.

There are ways of getting Windows to work again. I forget how though. Maybe a "repair" from the CD, but I forget what else that will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Well thats just ghey, i thought that it would use the physical host as the "base" for its emulation, indeed it makes little sense for it not to do this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Virtual PC is a development testbed for people who want check that their applications work as expected across various versions of Windows and other supported OSes, as well as providing virtualisation to people who want to run multiple OSes off one machine.

Its not "ghey", you just missed the point of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

I know what it is for, but surely what im trying to do is inside its operating procedure, no?

Has anyone ever used it in a similar fashion to what im trying to do? It is apparently possible, and it does seem to work for me, but the HD icon in the bottom corner of the VirtualPC screen seems to die (its going green, i can hear HD activity, then flashes orange, then gone) and if i close the session and re-open it, i get the prompt for safe mode!! So it is trying to work, im just missing something or other

I read on an MSDN blog about removing the drive letter from the linked-to HD. Ive done that but need to test the fecker (requires restart and conversion of the Virtual HD) so i'll let you all know if that does it!!

Advertisement