Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Intermission Slate Thingy

• 14-02-2007 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

I was looking online for a copy of the graphic that used to appear as intermission on BBC, in a circle in the middle, a girl with a puppet or something, that set on a a grey grid thing with other primary colours around the border....

Is this making sense to anyone? Can Anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

one minute.

This thing? http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/596/boardstv3jv5.png
    Minus the boards.tv logo, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Do an image search for 'BBC test card' and you'll get loads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Test Card F. Since retired, but she still remains. Now used is Test Card J and W.

Decent flash recreation....

http://625.uk.com/tv_logos/flash/tcf_1.asp

Wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Card_F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

mike65 wrote:
    Sadly missed by some of us.
    Eurgh, not me... that picture used to frighten me. :eek:

• Advertisement

For those of us in two-channel land... this was standard daytime fayre before Dead at 4 came along...

net2tcg2.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ah the days when broadcasting stopped at around midnight and didn't start on some channels until around 11am, or even later in the case of RTE2 I think.

The BBC testcard was the standard in terms of testcards though, the multi coloured RTE one hadn't a patch on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭small

thanks guys. got exactly what i needed, now to photoshop my friends head in in place of the girl.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

5starpool wrote:
    Ah the days when broadcasting stopped at around midnight and didn't start on some channels until around 11am, or even later in the case of RTE2 I think.

The BBC testcard was the standard in terms of testcards though, the multi coloured RTE one hadn't a patch on it.

RTÉ even used the BBC test card when testing widescreen on Sky Digital

Mossy Monk wrote:

Jesus. You out-anoraked watty there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sat1

Test Card G was a television test card broadcast occasionally by the BBC. It was the first electronically generated test card to be broadcast, and was a variant of the Philips PM5544 test pattern.

This card was used by rte,itv and much of the rest of the world, I never liked the bbc one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

DMC wrote:
    Jesus. You out-anoraked watty there!

not possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Eurgh, not me... that picture used to frighten me. :eek:

I know, I used always think that girl ws retarded or something (not that there's anything wrong or scary about that in particular) but the smile on the puppet's face and the blackboard just used to really depress the tone of the picture or something...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The clown doll is named Bubbles. :eek:

Carole Hersee is in the Guinness Book Of Records as the person who's appeared on television for more hours than anyone else. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/classic/testcard.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

small wrote:
    thanks guys. got exactly what i needed, now to photoshop my friends head in in place of the girl.....
    No the dolls head instead - like on Top Gear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I actually remember Test Card D. We used to switch on our Pye TV a few minutes before the programmes started to let the set warm-up. So you got to see the test card while you waited. Innocent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Mossy Monk wrote:
    /me checks attachments

yup.

Attachment not found.

Oh that was some while ago.

31-03-2005 15:32

Hagar wrote:
    I actually remember Test Card D. We used to switch on our Pye TV a few minutes before the programmes started to let the set warm-up. So you got to see the test card while you waited. Innocent times.
    Hehe. Hagar is old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You're no spring chicken yourself. :p

• Advertisement

Twas teh Pye that gave the game away. :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Meh, RTE used to use boring old card G. I always imagined it looking like a face though, eyes somewhere on top, big black cross nose, big square black mouth.

(here's where the more nerdy step in to tell me they didn't use card G, just the PM5544 card or something)

sceptre wrote:
    Meh, RTE used to use boring old card G. I always imagined it looking like a face though, eyes somewhere on top, big black cross nose, big square black mouth.

(here's where the more nerdy step in to tell me they didn't use card G, just the PM5544 card or something)
    They're all out with their girl/boyfriends tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

This should be in retro man...

Advertisement