Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour evading taxes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'
    misterq wrote:
    those who reckon he will eventually be caught by the revenue are being a little naive. If it is a cash business and he has never registered with them in the first place, then he could well get away with it for a long time.
    If it's a cash business turning over the amounts quoted, he will get caught unless he's very smart and careful (he doesn't seem the most discreet), seriously, the vast majority on here have obviously got no idea of the problems trying to deal in cash presents nowadays.
    As others have stated he could be fully compliant for all you know, btw, what does he do?
    misterq wrote:
    The revenue have an anonymous line where you can report people.
    I reported a guy who ripped me off (paid for goods that never arrived, he charged VAT even though there was no such company). I don't believe anything was done.
    As Tax inspector said, it would be binned, now tbh, i've no problem with op reporting the guy, but, it will not do any good - basically CAB and money laundering legislation is more than enough to weed out most large scale tax evaders. In fact, this is actually more likely to be a CAB issues, and those bunch of muppets would probably take this seriously enough to launch an investigation (i've seen them do it before).
    misterq wrote:
    In reality, tax evaders are stealing from us all. We would have to pay les tax if they all coughed up their fair share.
    Indeed, in fantasy land that would be the case, back here in reality world, it should be remembered that propensity to spend increases with available funds. But, maybe ye are all correct, you know, I met a mate for lunch yesterday, he works in the dept of finance, he left work at 12.30 and didn't go back until 2.30, maybe I should report him for defrauding the tax payer (he doesn't have flexi time), I also spent some time working in the public sector, there were definitely times when people didn't show for work the day after big nights out, given they were responsible for their inability to work the following day, should they have been reported too??'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

the RC are bastards, i'll fight them to my dying breath. tell them nothing.

What kind of loser would rat someone out. Your just jealous he is making it and you are not. He ain't selling drugs so let him do his thing.

Although, for him to boast about it...that's not smart...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

ferdi wrote:
    the RC are bastards, i'll fight them to my dying breath. tell them nothing.

So so true, I am paying so much tax it makes me feel physically sick every month. I still wouldn't report someone though. The snidey turds in the Revenue are paid to do a job, let them get on with it and do it.

And as for you OP, just keep your nose out, why should it bother you what your neighbour does or doesn't do?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fast Forward to 2 months time and we'll have a thread in the Personal Issues as follows......
    My neighbour has turned into the neighbour from hell!!!

"My neighbour keeps letting his dog sh1t in my flower beds. He has all night parties on school nights. His kids keep kicking their footballs against my window. He keeps parking his car across my driveway so that I can't get in and out of my house. And I really don't know why!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

Dont snitch. Its not an admirable trait. You ratting him out is not going to improve your financial situation either way. Have you thought about the repercussions? If the dude is willing to flaunt his tax evasion so blatantly have you ever wondered what else he might be into? Shhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

My neighbour has his own business, which isn't registered.
    and which doesn't need to be.
    The thing is that as far as he's told me, he's not paying any taxes.
    But he didn't tell you? are you trying to read between the lines?
    No registration, no need to pay taxes!!
    Again, you do not need to register (except for VAT if your turnover exceeds a threshold as stated above).
    The guy is pulling in a couple of grand every week, or so he says. It shows too; what with the new car, foreign holidays and expensive home entertainment items.
    Jealousy gets you no where - as the little kid in me would say.
    The problem is that his "partner" has also set up another business, again with the same dodgy business practices.
    Dodgy practices? Because they didnt register their businesses?
    So between them they're pulling in somewhere in the region of €1500 to €3000 a week without paying any taxes.
    So would it be fair to think that maybe that is complete speculation on your behalf?
    So the question arises, do I discretely let Revenue know about this or do I say nothing? He's a nice guy but at the same time, why shouldn't he pay his due like the rest of us?
    All the above is only speculation. You gotta love the nosey neighbour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

As has been suggested, your neighbour may be exaggerating about his income or even about the extent of his tax evasion. Additionally I would question the motives of the civic minded in this thread – as someone already pointed out, people seem to have very little problem with social welfare fraud or nixers in Ireland, yet become suddenly moralistic if the person doing so becomes successful at it. What it typically comes down to is not civic virtue or moral indignation but good, old-fashions Irish begrudgery. It’s the same reason that the same people will dislike successful, tax-compliant business people and mutter how their wealth must have been the result of dishonesty.

So firstly I would look at your own motivation and look at your own honesty. The reality is that you are almost certainly not a saint; you may not be as dishonest, but if someone offered you a small nixer to supplement your income, my guess you wouldn’t pay tax on it either. Same goes for all the other saints frothing at the mouth here.

Also whoever suggested that if people paid their taxes we’d all end up paying less is living in a fantasy World.

Secondly this is your neighbour. Even if your information is treated as confidential and you are never required to testify, there’s always a fair chance that your neighbour will be able to put two and two together. That will leave you with someone how bares you a grudge living next door to you. So whatever about someone in work, or at the gym or elsewhere, it really is a dumb move to sh¡t where you eat.
    Linoge wrote:
    No, I think you'll find that the RC actually take tax evasion very seriously.
    They may, but as others have pointed out this may be unlikely. The RC know that a huge percentage of the working population earn on nixers on the side and there is certainly a general belief that as long as your main source of income goes through the books then if some slips through they’ll turn a blind eye.

Of course if that amount is too large or is your only source of income then they may take notice. Or not. Remember other than the hassle it has to be economical for them to pursue someone - That means that assuming your neighbour’s €3,000 p.m. is even clear profit then his annual bill to the RC would come to less than €10,000. Not worth the effort.

Typically, from what I know, the RC will pursue tax fraud, but you have to be pulling in a lot more for them to take notice. Additionally the CAB will also do so, especially in the case where the income is criminal in nature – brothels are a favourite of theirs – which again would amount to a lot more money.

In short, don’t bother. It’s not worth anyone’s while, potentially exposes you to a neighbour with a grudge and your motivation is frankly suspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It's a litttle OT but I can't believe how many people on here object to paying tax. How on earth do you expect the country to get run without finance? If you feel it's being misspent by the current administrators that's one thing, but to not want to contribute at all makes my mind boggle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's a litttle OT but I can't believe how many people on here object to paying tax. How on earth do you expect the country to get run without finance? If you feel it's being misspent by the current administrators that's one thing, but to not want to contribute at all makes my mind boggle?
    I think you're missing the point. Has anybody actually said that they object to paying tax? Don't think so. What people are objecting to is snitching on a neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It's a litttle OT but I can't believe how many people on here object to paying tax.
    I certainly don’t object to paying tax but I do object to some taxes (e.g. TV licences, Credit Card Levies) as being little more than government-backed scams and I do object to being asked to pay tax then being asked to pay it again (as direct taxes for substandard services) and again (as duty, VAT, etc).

However that’s probably the subject of a separate discussion.
    If you feel it's being misspent by the current administrators that's one thing, but to not want to contribute at all makes my mind boggle?
    There is no escaping taxation so you’re never going to have a situation whereby you don’t contribute at all unless you emigrate. After all, how much tax to you pay on goods and services every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Report him. There are no moral or legal issues here. Report him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭DeiseGal

Doesnt even need thinking about - obvious answer is to report him - why should we all be paying taxes and then him to decide - 'nah feck them im not going to pay it' - Wipe that smug grin off his face and do the honest thing.
    I cant believe there is a debate about this - if this is the attitude of some people, that he should get away with it , then theres no hope for this country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

report him....I know people who called you names don't mind support this guy, but I do object to my taxes paying the services he uses for free.....

'Well, there's definitely 2 sides to this one.

As for the personal attacks, that's the whole point of Boards I suppose. Freedom of speech (unless it's about you know who, _.C._. ). It doesn't really make for a good argument though, does it, if you're just going to call me a coward or whatever?

As for the jealous thing, I've got my nice things and I'm happy with that. I wouldn't begrudge anyone nice things, home, car etc. even a person who doesn't pay taxes when he should ;)

What gets me is the fact that he doesn't. He should be paying tax (at least, based on what he's said to me) and he doesn't. And for those saying that I shouldn't report him, why shouldn't I? It's the typical Irish mentality, "sure if he isn't doing drugs/killing or whatever, it's alright". That's part of the problem.

I don't like paying taxes, who does? But if you're supposed to, why not? It appears as if those who support "snitching" are those that pay a chunk of their pay every week in tax. I'd be curious to see the occupation of those that would never report anyone for something similar.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Manofwarff wrote:
    '

I pay e500 - 600 tax from my wages every week. Most of the guys I work with pay a lot more than me. I pay more tax each year than the average Irish person earns in a year. So why should I pay the best part of e30,000 tax each year while others don't, and reap the benefits of my sweat.

I'd rat him out, but maybe wait a couple of weeks so he doesn't suspect it was you.'

you're earning too much, earn less and then you won't have to worry about paying more tax than the average person earns.

I think OP is coming to his/her own conclusions to explain why their neighbours can afford things they can't. Could be they aren't paying taxes and are making a fortune, could be they are very good with their money and are able to use it the right way, could be they are up to their eyeballs in debt from paying for all these things and that their fancy car is being paid for by finance.

No-one knows and no-one cares, it's none of your business, so instead of being a jealous begrudger see what you can do to improve your own situation rather than dragging others down from theirs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Right folks, I have a question for you as I'm really not sure how or if I should do anything about this. For obvious reasons, I'm going enreg in case any previous posts reveal my identity, perhaps to the subject of this post!

My neighbour has his own business, which isn't registered. The thing is that as far as he's told me, he's not paying any taxes. No registration, no need to pay taxes!! The guy is pulling in a couple of grand every week, or so he says. It shows too; what with the new car, foreign holidays and expensive home entertainment items.

The problem is that his "partner" has also set up another business, again with the same dodgy business practices.

So between them they're pulling in somewhere in the region of €1500 to €3000 a week without paying any taxes.

So the question arises, do I discretely let Revenue know about this or do I say nothing? He's a nice guy but at the same time, why shouldn't he pay his due like the rest of us?

Any comments appreciated.

You shut up and mind your own business. He's hardly a major criminal now is he and we are talking about the Revenue who have been screwing us for far too long. Try not let your neighbours wealth make you too jealous, sit back and relax. Eventualy he will slip up and will be caught. Don't make it easy for the authorities in this situation anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

To state the obvious, technically, if his business is fairly recent then he may not have reached a point where he is obliged to pay tax. This is especially true for his partners.

He may not have exceeded a VAT threshhold yet, and he may not have been trading for more than a few months.

In the long run, it is very difficult to avoid paying tax, as money leaves trails that are increasingly easy to trace. For example, if he was audited, unless he paid in cash for everything, his bank account and credit cards would show money is coming from somewhere, which might have to be justified.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ballyman wrote:
    Your neighbour is one thick individual to be boasting about this to you. He will be caught at some stage ...
    Indeed!

Advertisement