Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats invovled in creating a website like....

Options
  • 14-02-2007 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

this - http://www.modifiedcarsales.ie/

What is involved and whats the costs in getting someone to create it for you?

Cheers
    Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Aside from the design and layout of the site, there is a good bit of work on the back end to allow the site admin to add and update the stock. There may be off-the-shelf plugins that can be used for this, I am not too sure.

Alternatively if you use Carzone.ie to display your stock, you may be able to use their pages on your site to display the cars instead. Carzone may even supply an RSS type feed for sellers' websites. Perhaps with someone with experience in the motor trade can add to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 daryllsheridan

bloody hell that nav system is annoying! browsed around the site for 5 mins and im already sick of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

this site is terrible, colours look terrible the logo is throwing in at the top and not aligned with the top flash nav area, however any script kiddie around here could put a site like this together for you a very short space of time using an asp script, as I'm sure the person who owns this site did. I would be embarrassed to put my name to a site like this or even want a site build similar to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'd be able to do a site like this for u in a short space of time for 1 million dollars...muhahahaha....
    tbh, I wouldn't want to emulate a site like this. I agree with previous posters on the matter of how **** it is.

You could do a site like this using PHP programs I'm sure, PHP nuke, Mambo, etc...
    You want a site that is easily maintained and has good content over looks...look at youtube, carzone, adverts, great content and simple easy to use content management systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dj shaft

What I'm looking to do is put together a site for a club where by traders can put up what stock they have and then people in the club can use a search function to find what they want by either brand, part type or trader. Also have a directory of the traders which the trader can enter as well and update. So is the above description clear enough? Whats needed for something like that and what cost?

Cheers
    Conor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Your looking at a a fair bit of work for a nice clean site that does what you want, coudln't give you a price with out more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Dj shaft wrote:
    this - http://www.modifiedcarsales.ie/

What is involved and whats the costs in getting someone to create it for you?

Cheers
    Conor

Hey Dj Shaft
    Sent you a pm with some details on a similar site I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dj shaft wrote:
    What I'm looking to do is put together a site for a club where by traders can put up what stock they have and then people in the club can use a search function to find what they want by either brand, part type or trader. Also have a directory of the traders which the trader can enter as well and update. So is the above description clear enough? Whats needed for something like that and what cost?

Cheers
    Conor

Even though your description is pretty clear, you'll still find it hard to pin a price on it. You may get a student or part-timer offering to do it for a few hundred euros, or if you go to a web dev shop, it could be a couple of K.

I don't know much about PHP Nuke and mambo, but I would imagine they are probably for more content rich sites, while yours sounds more functionality / search based - e.g. carzone.ie. There are probably other off the shelf packages that could be used - OSCommerce is one that springs to mind, but I don't know if they cater for multiple vendors. I'd be surprised if there wasn't something out there that could be used though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

egan007 wrote:
    Hey Dj Shaft
    Sent you a pm with some details on a similar site I did.
    Putting in a good word for egan007, I've seen the site he's talking about there. He'd be a good man to talk to.

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Now OP that you have read all this, take the original number you had to spend on the site and multiply by 10 and do it properly, theres nothing worse than poor copy of a site if you're going to do it .......... do it better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement