Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia 1.8T 150bhp - Opinions

Options
  • 14-02-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

thinking of bringing one of these in from the UK. Nicely specc'd, with climate, nice stereo and just enough power.

Any major issues with this engine apart from the usual coil issues?

Any general opinions on the car? This would be a 2001/2002 version.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AlanD wrote:
    Hi,

thinking of bringing one of these in from the UK. Nicely specc'd, with climate, nice stereo and just enough power.

Any major issues with this engine apart from the usual coil issues?

Any general opinions on the car? This would be a 2001/2002 version.

They are pretty scarce in the UK too. Seen one or two over here, the 150bhp verison is the same engine found in the basic VW Golf MkIV GTi. Think they only came in one trim level - Laurin & Klement which had everything. Look like a normal Octavia from the outside.

Alot more common is the Octavia vRS which had the same engine but with the ECU mapped to 180bhp as standard. Quick car and are cheap enough in the UK. They are easily identified by the small body kit, rear boot spoiler, 17"/18" alloy wheels and vRS badges. Down side is that they are popular with thieves so unless you have it well hidden and locked up at night it might be better to seek out the 1.8T Laurin & Klement model instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think there was also a 4WD version, with the 150bhp engine but with relatively standard trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

The vRS MKI 180 wasnt the 150 remapped. Its a modified version of the 1.8T alright but i think it had a bigger turbo. I would say go for a vRS MKI but if you were to go for the 150 get the L&K alright but a UK vrs should have good spec also.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

omega man wrote:
    The vRS MKI 180 wasnt the 150 remapped. Its a modified version of the 1.8T alright but i think it had a bigger turbo.

Didn't know that, thought it was just simply a different ECU mapping.

Apologies to the OP for being slightly off topic again but was the 225bhp version of the 1.8T in the Audi TT and Leon Cupra R have a remap or larger turbo again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

That's ok Bazz....

I think the major plus for this engine for me is that it's used in so many cars that it should be reliable enough. Hopefully I can find one.

Briskoda seems to have only good to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Have you seen this for sale on Briskoda? Currently in Dublin too (though on UK plates). Looks immaculate - some shine. If I had the spons, I'd buy it.

I saw that car on carzone alright. Not my cup of tea though......don't like modified cars of any sort, engine or body.

This one is probably well looked after, but 200bhp isn't what I want to bring the young lad to the creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Fair enough, 150bhp should just about cover that....:D

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Fair enough, 150bhp should just about cover that....:D
    it's only a second car I'm looking for, to go to the creche, the shops and that's it really.

A 1.1 hatch would do of course, but I want something with a bit more poke to shave that half a second off my time from here to the creche

Advertisement