Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First nitro car - help needed -fuel?

Options
  • 14-02-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all,
    I am a complete novice to the RC world. I recently got a Nitro RTR3 evo as a present and I'm in the process of getting it started. I would appreciate it if someone could advise me on where to get started, ie where to get fuel in dublin/kildare area, where to race/tryout the car, are there any groups that meet up regularly etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also is there a shop somewhere on cable street that sells fuel?

I live in Celbridge

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Have you read this thread ? General Guide
    There are a list of shops and links to the model shops in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gings

Thanks for the link coolwings....I'm a total novice here, both on boards and the RC scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Is that the HPI model with the .15 engine or the SS.18?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think it has the .15 engine, i have one myself.
    HPI Recommend 10-15% fuel if my memory serves me right. I use 5% in mine and it runs pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

if your in celbridge wouldnt the nearest place be halfords in liffey valley or are the not stocking it anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

if your in celbridge wouldnt the nearest place be halfords in liffey valley or are the not stocking it anymore

I think Halfords only stoc 16% and 25%
    He might get away with the 16% but Going against my religion I would get 16% mT before I would get 16% Tornado..:rolleyes:

vectra wrote:
    I think Halfords only stoc 16% and 25%
    He might get away with the 16% but Going against my religion I would get 16% mT before I would get 16% Tornado..:rolleyes:
    LOL:D
    :P
    Ahh yeah!
    Was that 3.3 free in the end?

Plug wrote:
    LOL:D
    :P
    Ahh yeah!
    Was that 3.3 free in the end?
    Got that 3.3 that you have now hand built by Bob in Traxxas UK so it should be good as he ran it before sending it. ;)

Runs very good, I didnt tune it yet and I can't keep the front end down:D

*edit* Look down this page:D The revo is famous.
    http://community.meath.ie/nnn/index.php?Itemid=1

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

the higher the percentage of nitro the easier it is to tune your engine.
    but that has it's draw-backs too, the more nitro in the fuel the quicker your engine will wear out.
    I'd recommend 16%. I only started race 1/10th Nito touring cars this year but i've learned a lot already!!
    I've tried model technics and i couldn't get my car to run right, i was told by a another racer to never use it, it's cheap "hobby" fuel and not the best for the engine in the long run.

If your interested in racing i'd say come down to St.Annes Park some weekend, the 1st race weekend of the season is on Sunday 25th Feb. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=53.373299,-6.174483&spn=0.002362,0.005021&t=k&om=1
    You'll find plenty of helpful people our there.

• Advertisement

nikimere wrote:
    the higher the percentage of nitro the easier it is to tune your engine.
    but that has it's draw-backs too, the more nitro in the fuel the quicker your engine will wear out.
    I'd recommend 16%. I only started race 1/10th Nito touring cars this year but i've learned a lot already!!
    I've tried model technics and i couldn't get my car to run right, i was told by a another racer to never use it, it's cheap "hobby" fuel and not the best for the engine in the long run.

If your interested in racing i'd say come down to St.Annes Park some weekend, the 1st race weekend of the season is on Sunday 25th Feb. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=53.373299,-6.174483&spn=0.002362,0.005021&t=k&om=1
    You'll find plenty of helpful people our there.

So, What fuel does the "Instant Proffesional" recommend? :D

In fact, as far as I am concerned the higher nitro content makes it a bit more tricky to tune as it would be very easy to run too lean and we all know what happens then..:o

I really like the Blue Thunder 20% race formula nitro when I had my Revo ( 2.5r )
    But I guess that if it could be got in 16% it would be excellent fuel to run. ;)

vectra wrote:
    So, What fuel does the "Instant Proffesional" recommend? :D

In fact, as far as I am concerned the higher nitro content makes it a bit more tricky to tune as it would be very easy to run too lean and we all know what happens then..:o

I really like the Blue Thunder 20% race formula nitro when I had my Revo ( 2.5r )
    But I guess that if it could be got in 16% it would be excellent fuel to run. ;)
    Not an istant professional at RC'ing but i have been involved in Karting for 15 years, both as a driver and mechanic, and i know a lot about them. The way RC engines and kart engines work are VERY similar when it comes to tuning the carb.
    The more nitro in the fuel the cleaner the "bang" (in laymans terms) in the engine, so it makes the "sweet point" a bit easier to find.
    Blue Thunder i have heard is good but cant comment myself... you can get 16% in Halfords.
    I'm using Gammalube, ordered it from a place in Belgium.

nikimere wrote:
    Not an istant professional at RC'ing but i have been involved in Karting for 15 years, both as a driver and mechanic, and i know a lot about them. The way RC engines and kart engines work are VERY similar when it comes to tuning the carb.
    The more nitro in the fuel the cleaner the "bang" (in laymans terms) in the engine, so it makes the "sweet point" a bit easier to find.
    Blue Thunder i have heard is good but cant comment myself... you can get 16% in Halfords.
    I'm using Gammalube, ordered it from a place in Belgium.

I would have to agree to disagree with you on that one.
    Tuning a Kart is a whole different ballgame.
    If you get it wrong in a Kart you get a second chance at getting it right with high octane fuel ( Which is of course PETROL we are talking about )

Now nitro on the other hand in (YUP. NITRO :D )
    Go high % on that stuff and it is more difficult to hit "the sweet spot" get it wrong and within the space of a minute or less you could have a broken conrod. :eek:

Just ask me :rolleyes: :D

vectra wrote:
    If you get it wrong in a Kart you get a second chance at getting it right with high octane fuel ( Which is of course PETROL we are talking about )
    Thats totally wrong. 2 stroke 100cc karts seize extremely easily, fact! Note: the emphasis on "extremely".
    I haven't seized my nitro engine yet so i dont know how easy it is to do.
    But tbh i dont think it's any easier to seize than a highly tuned kart engine.
    Anyway we've gone far OT here, i just offered what i had heard around the R/C racing pits and what i have been told by guys who have raced for years, and some limited RC knowledge myself.
    Weather the OP choses to take the advice is up to him.

vectra wrote:
    ......Just ask me :rolleyes: :D .....

Errr .... So how did you find out that, vectra? :p

(Well he DID say just ask ...... ;) )

coolwings wrote:
    Errr .... So how did you find out that, vectra? :p

(Well he DID say just ask ...... ;) )

Ive got thre words for that.
    "Three Point Three" :D

nikemere wrote:
    Thats totally wrong. 2 stroke 100cc karts seize extremely easily, fact! Note: the emphasis on "extremely".
    I haven't seized my nitro engine yet so i dont know how easy it is to do.
    But tbh i dont think it's any easier to seize than a highly tuned kart engine.
    Anyway we've gone far OT here, i just offered what i had heard around the R/C racing pits and what i have been told by guys who have raced for years, and some limited RC knowledge myself.
    Weather the OP choses to take the advice is up to him.

True I guess.
    You are higly experienced in tuning Karts from what you say and also proven by the fact you have not seized your nitro engine ( yet ) as you put it.

So, When you were green to this would you have been confident enough to use high octane fuel and tune it yourself with nobody to watch over you in case you were going wrong? :o

OR.
    Would you prefer to see someone practicing with a more tolerent fuel in case of accidental wrong tuning thus avoiding an engine failure?
    I know I would prefer to start with the "Safer option" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gings

Thanks for the advice everyone, it took me a while to get the fuel, halfords liffey have stopped doing the fuel and only had 20% tornado. I managed to scoop the last 5 litres of 16% from the blancerstown branch tho. I then found out I needed a USA to Ireland converter for the Glow plug starter and roto start. This took me almost a week to find time to source. Now that I finally have all the gear I still cannot get the damn thing to start. I've tried adjusting everything in called out in the manual to no avail. I've checked the glow plugs which are ok, not sure what else could be at fault. I have drained the fuel after flooding it a few times but it only seems to drain out of the exhaust, never out of the hole from the removed glow plug. Not sure if this is the case for this model. The engine is the T15 engine. Anyone had any problems starting new Cars?

Nikki: Thanks for the sending on the location of the St Annes meets, no doubt I will need some assistance getting this beast started.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

Hi,ye if u want help,fuel,tools,cars an the lot you can buy online from boyztoys.ie

If you are in Templeogue, that would involve driving past 2 places that sell model fuel for a lower price.

Look at the Boards.ie General thread Here for a list of model shops.

hi,im living in templeogue an just wonderin what shops u talkn about

• Advertisement

hi,im living in templeogue an just wonderin what shops u talkn about
    Green Hobby are in Harolds Cross
    The Model Centre are in Capel Street
    Both sell nitro fuel :D

k well tnks but i alredy new bout dem,i just taught der were sum different 1's around:)an du u now if ders any tracks to race offroad in templeogue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

k well tnks but i alredy new bout dem,i just taught der were sum different 1's around:)an du u now if ders any tracks to race offroad in templeogue

:confused::o:( :eek:

You know you're getting old when...

[Ok, well, thanks, but I already knew about them. I just thought there were sum different ones around.:) And do you know if there's any tracks to race offroad in Templeogue?]

Bloody Text Talk..... Should be banned off of every forum.. KEEP IT TO THE PHONES...!!!! :mad:

Well now ... I thought the point of getting an offroad model in the first place was so as you would not have to go to a track ! :D

Hmmmm ... thinks:
    Places to drive offroad buggy on ... tarmac ... concrete ... grass ... wood chips ... mud ... along wood planks ... home made ramps ... in the air!
    Yup - I think that about covers it ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

...beach...

Doh !

thanks, but i kinda meant parks,clubs race tracks as in dirt tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corpseorourke

that model technics is the easiest for me to get there a shop not far from me that sells it and only it but ye its crap lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corpseorourke

boyztoyz fuel will only mess up your car its pure **** model technics **** actualy lol

Advertisement