Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bit of EVERTON trivia

• 14-02-2007 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

The treble of Second Division Championship, First Division Championship and FA cup in successive seasons is unique to Everton. THIS HONOUR WAS ACHIEVED IN 1933 when Dixie Dean led them to Wembley glory against Manchester City. The players were numbered for the first time in history-with Dean becoming Everton’s first ever number 9.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Not bad at all for a "small" club. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well now, that was random.

BTW winnign the 2nd divison isnt really used in "honours" lists (except by small clubs :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Stekelly wrote:
    Well now, that was random.

BTW winnign the 2nd divison isnt really used in "honours" lists (except by small clubs :D )
    Liverpool were in the 2nd Division from 1954 to 1962.
    The mills of god grind slow, but they grind exceedingly sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Here's an interesting fact I think a lot of Everton fans may not be aware of: of the five 5 five 5 FIVE 5ive European cups won by Liverpudlian clubs, not a single one was won by Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Here's an interesting fact I think a lot of Everton fans may not be aware of: of the five 5 five 5 FIVE 5ive European cups won by Liverpudlian clubs, not a single one was won by Everton.

Yawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

If it wasn't for Hysel and the fact that Liverpool fans could not control themselves abroad, Everton would have won the European Cup the following year with was surley one of our best ever teams, but Instead we were Banned along with all other english clubs because of Liverpool, It amazing that Liverpool fans always Mention Hillsborough but never Hysel Weird that!

If it wasn't for Hysel and the fact that Liverpool fans could not control themselves abroad, Everton would have won the European Cup the following year with was surley one of our best ever teams, but Instead we were Banned along with all other english clubs because of Liverpool, It amazing that Liverpool fans always Mention Hillsborough but never Hysel Weird that!

Cop yourself on will ya, you'd think it was solely Liverpool fans there that day, many fans of other English clubs travelled over, including Everton fans, as was the norm when an English Club was playing away in Europe.

As an Evertonian, it's great to see that some of our support are still as ignorant as ever.

Call yourself an Evertonian?

You call yourself an Evertonian, So are you putting part blame on Everton fans for what happened in Hysel, Yes there were other fans there Juventus fans.

That must be the most disgracful comment I have ever seen from a fellow Blue, I give credit where credit is due (and it was due when Liverppol last won the champions league with a very poor team) but we were robbed of our chance to play for the european cup that next season due to 50% at least of Liverpool Supporters and there poor behaviour. But hey there were some Everton fans there or so you say so I suppose we have nobody to blame but our selves for being disqualified from europe :confused:

So let those Liverppol fans rub in our face their 5 European cups and keep telling us that we never won one, Well i tell you what buddy you are on your own there and I bet If you made that statement in the wimslow you would have been well booted to the other side of stanley park by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I agree with Bluetonic on this one.

SO thats 2 Everton fans who must be wrong !!!

You call yourself an Evertonian, So are you putting part blame on Everton fans for what happened in Hysel, Yes there were other fans there Juventus fans.
    I don't know the circumstance of who was to blame and what football clubs they all support, and because of that I wouldn't make dumb unfounded statements. I know that English football fans went to Heysel that day for the booze up, I know Everton as well as Liverpool fans were there along with many others.

Well i tell you what buddy you are on your own there and I bet If you made that statement in the wimslow you would have been well booted to the other side of stanley park by now.
    It's the Winslow. Unfortunately ignorance and aggression often go hand in hand. Thankfully there are plenty of intelligent Evertonians who are well briefed on the issue.

Edited to add that it's pityful Evertonians with your mindset that will turn this great club into a small club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

gonna back up lordy here!
    to suggest that Liverpool had no effect on Evertons ambitions in europe post heysel is rubbish, of course they did. A team on the verge of greatness following the ECWC win in 1995 was surely gathering momentum for the big one.
    of course Liverpool fans will object, but its just wrong. doesnt matter if it was west ham or leeds vs juve, but the bottom line is Everton couldnt show case their talent afterwards..........

for Raffa to suggest we are a SMALL team is ridiculous also, Everton have as much history and tradition as any other club in the top flight. Chelski are just a BIG team in recent times. its just that we havent been snapped up by gadzilionaires yet.

and Liverpool are awash with foreigners left right and centre. half the squad is spanish or latin, ditto to the new owners,.

few more EFC pointers,

1st club to have under soil heating!
    1st club to have a triple decker main stand
    1st an last club to have a 60goal a season striker.

i know goodison is shoving on abit....but still.:D

gonna back up lordy here!
    to suggest that Liverpool had no effect on Evertons ambitions in europe post heysel is rubbish, of course they did. A team on the verge of greatness following the ECWC win in 1995 was surely gathering momentum for the big one.

Where was it suggested otherwise? Thats not whats being discussed here. Anyone who thinks that it was solely Liverpool fans involved is very wrong. Majority but not solely.

1985 BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

sorry, typo:D

course was 85, in 95 we beat some united team.............:rolleyes:

course was 85, in 95 we beat some united team.............:rolleyes:

Seem like ages ago now..... probably because it was :(

Nobody is saying it was Just Liverpool fans but you can't deny that it was Liverpool fans in majority that were there as it was a Liverpool Fixture. So are you saying that the time the england fans ripped up Landsdown and threw chairs and wood down at our Irish fans below that it was not just english fans to blame or where there some Irish fans up there and maybe some N Irish and maybe somes scottish also yeah lets blame all those nations aswell Oh no we can't because it was England fans! Get a grip watch footage from that Day on heysel and you will see that the trouble was in the midst of red and white. For once can Liverpool fans just step up (and that Includes you tonic) and say yup we were wrong that day and caused a lot of english clubs to miss out in Europe.

you can't deny that it was Liverpool fans in majority that were there as it was a Liverpool Fixture.
    I've already said it was majority Liverpool, did you miss that bit from above?
    Bluetonic wrote:
    Thats not whats being discussed here. Anyone who thinks that it was solely Liverpool fans involved is very wrong. Majority but not solely.
    So are you saying that the time the england fans ripped up Landsdown and threw chairs and wood down at our Irish fans below that it was not just english fans to blame or where there some Irish fans up there and maybe some N Irish and maybe somes scottish also yeah lets blame all those nations aswell Oh no we can't because it was England fans!
    What relevance has this? Your loosing any credibility you had by making odious comparisons.
    For once can Liverpool fans just step up (and that Includes you tonic) and say yup we were wrong that day and caused a lot of english clubs to miss out in Europe.
    So you think I am a Liverpool fan? Really, that just takes the biscuit.

Don't forget that it was Thatcher who pushed the FA and subsequently UEFA and FIFA into the ban and ensured it stayed for as long as it did. Do you understand the role the Conservative government had in the ban?

Leaving aside the blame game for one moment, if you think the Heysel incident alone caused the ban on English clubs, and subsequently the demise of Everton Football Club then you are mistakenly wrong.

What demise of Everton? 87 League Championship 95 Fa Cup Winners, Look we shouldn't be fighting amongst ourselves, But I'm sick of Liverpool fans rubbing in our face the fact that we have never won a european cup when clearly our best chance to ever do that was denied by a MAJORITY of Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Irish Liverpool fans are just so tiresome. The majority of them just jumped onto the bandwagon of a successful club when they were kids. No history of family connections to the club at all. Lots of them have never been to Liverpool, let alone Anfield. And ,this is true, I heard a young man (albeit a not too well educated one) swear in a pub one night that the song “you’ll never walk alone” was specially written for Liverpool football club. I rest my case. By the way I didn’t bother to correct him; I would probably have gotten a head butt for my trouble.

Once a blue,always a blue.

What demise of Everton? 87 League Championship 95 Fa Cup Winners

1995 FA Cup was a once off, we were nearly relegated the same season and although we did finish 6th the next season it was back to the same old.

Unfortunately the most successful team in Evertons history broke up mainly due to the fact that the players could not play European football and they needed that challenge, a few players went to Scotland, Howard went to Spain, and thus the demise of Everton Football Club begun. Of course a lot of this coincided with the money drying up from John Moores and his subsequent death. By the time the European ban had been lifted the club was in such a state, and still is to this day.

Yes and No, 1995 was a once off but what Fa Cup win isn't, most clubs only win the cup now and again.

We did sink and Unfortunatley colin harvey had to bear the brunt of most of that, But since moyes has arrived I think thinks are starting to click again, finishing 4th of us was huge and I feel we could push it again this year iT we have a strong end to the season. We have quality back in the team with the likes of Johnson, Cahill, Arteta, Lescott and now Howard. We in my opion are only about 3 or 4 seasons away form being a real contender for the title and although that sounds Mad now I think its possible as long as we keep those quality players in our team and add some more over the coming seasons. Our chance of european glory is hopefully not too far into the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Irish Liverpool fans are just so tiresome. The majority of them just jumped onto the bandwagon of a successful club when they were kids. No history of family connections to the club at all. Lots of them have never been to Liverpool, let alone Anfield. And ,this is true, I heard a young man (albeit a not too well educated one) swear in a pub one night that the song “you’ll never walk alone” was specially written for Liverpool football club. I rest my case. By the way I didn’t bother to correct him; I would probably have gotten a head butt for my trouble.

Just curious as to what the point of all that was? Is it just a random rant in a random thread?

First off, do you really think its just Liverpool fans? Surely any club that has enjoyed a period of success in england will have some of those fans you mention (and saying the majority of us are like that is a bit of a push i think myself). I know plenty of Everton fans with the characteristics you described, as well as Arsenal fans, and probably more then anyone else Man U fans seeing as how they're period of dominance is the most recent. Its the result of success. Sure just look how many more Chelsea shirts you see around since Abromovich turned them into a real force!

My father wasn't a soccer fan, but i've followed the pool all my life, does that make me a less worthy fan then someone who's father and grandfather were fans?

I've never been to Anfield myself, quite simply (as is the case with many many other irish reds) because i haven't been able to afford it. Its a damn site more expensive to travel over on a package then it is if your just walking to the stadium and paying for a ticket. I at last have that level of disposable income so im going to see the Boro game in April. Hopefully from now on ill get over a few times a year, thanks to people like IrishDub (an irish liverpool fan) and others going out of their way to make semi-regular non profit trips over possible.

As for your comment about that moron not knowing about you'll never wlk alone and your final "i rest my case', well to be fair, there are ill informed morons in all walks of life, in every parish, town and city, supporting every team in the world.

I know a girl that lists rock and grunge among her favourite music, one time i told her i was going to Slane and she replied with "oh yea, arent nirvana playing there this year?!". I had to inform her that Mr Cobain had actually died quite a few years before hand. Now, does this mean all irish "fans" of a largely seattle based musical movement are ignorant and ill informed? No. Just that one.

/Rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If it wasn't for Hysel and the fact that Liverpool fans could not control themselves abroad, Everton would have won the European Cup the following year with was surley one of our best ever teams,

Eh, it might have been Everton's best ever team, but there was absolutely no guarantee they'd have won the EC in 1986.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Simple case of the HAVES and HAVE nots in the city. We got four points, they got one !! :p

We in my opion are only about 3 or 4 seasons away form being a real contender for the title and although that sounds Mad now I think its possible as long as we keep those quality players in our team and add some more over the coming seasons.

Don't you understand that Everton Football Club just doesn't have the funds to add any players or any quality without off loading players. To say something like Everton could be serious title contenders if we add some quality when we've no funds just really frustrates me. Don't fans understand that a club is much more than just the team. Everton is being badly run.

I'm as passionate as the next Evertonian but it's not just as simple as buying a few quality players and keeping the ones we have.

I'm sure we all have our hearts in the right place even if some of our heads are worrying about more than just the team.

I think we should get a petition going to approach the Muslims who were going to buy Liverpool and were outbid. it would perhaps make them feel better? :/

Voltwad wrote:
    I think we should get a petition going to approach the Muslims who were going to buy Liverpool and were outbid.

DIC withdrew their bid, they were never outbid. Anyhow the talk of London is of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum interest in Arsenal. We'll be lucky to get tenants to Terry Leahy.

Our club still has huge potential, massive fan base and a great history. Jaysus some even bought mid table martin's side.

Advertisement