Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying private

Options
  • 14-02-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Right, so I'm looking to buy private, how do people normally do these things to:

1. Securely transfer payment.

I'm buying a car for a lot of money, I'm not particularly interested in bringing thousands and thousands of euros in a wallet. If I give him a cheque, he can't be sure it'll clear, if I wait for it to clear, I can't be sure I'll get the car. What's reasonable from both ends?

2. Checking out the car

So, what I plan to do is call to the guys house, make sure the vehicle registration certificate matches up to that and I'm planning to get some sort of a check (do RAC do checks?) to make sure the vehicles checks out ok in terms of paperwork, being stolen or outstanding finance.

I have a funny feeling this has been posted before, but I can't find an appropiate thread, so feel free to point me to it if you know about it.

Thanks,

Phil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

tbh cash is the way its done, unless you've got paypal or something, western union money transfer maybe? if you agree on the sale then ring them to xfer, he can then ring and check the money is in place

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

A draft cheque would be the safest for both parties I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I would go with a Banker's Draft. it's only good for the person that you are buying the car off (i.e. they can't knock you over the head & take the cash!). Make sure you go to where the vendor lives, don't meet him in a B&Q car park or anything (like a saw a couple doing the other day).
    Also get the reg of the car off the owner & the name of the garage where it was serviced so you can call them up to get a real service history on it.

There are loads of places that will do a vehicle check for you. Don'tjust trust the NCT as a proof of condition ( I sent mine through knowing 2 things were wrong and passed no probs, I have since sorted them).
    You could try RAC or AA:
    http://www.aaireland.ie/technical2006/

Most independent garages/local mechanics will perform a similar service for less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cash ftw.

I was about to get a bankers draft before from Permanent TSB. I asked about getting it refunded if I didn't go ahead with the transaction. She told me that the refund fee or whatever would be €1300 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I recently bought private for 25k and this is what I did...

Met the guy half way, only because it was a 9hr round trip. Checked the paperwork (RF101) details matched the VIN number on the car. Checked for any crash repair. Test drive. Checked the serivce history stamped in the book.

I was lucky in the fact the car was only 2yrs old and it still has over a year left on the maufacturers warranty so any mechanical issues I would be covered.

We agreed that bankers draft was best way to go. Next day I got one, scanned it in and emailed to seller with my branch telephone number. He could confirm its legitimacy on his side.
    I also called the main dealer who serviced the car to verify the info in the service book was accurate.

I made a note of the registration book number (10 digits) & VIN number and checked their authenticity on cartell.ie

Made the drive up last weekend, stayed overnight.
    Hand over draft, hand over keys. Shake hands.
    Picked up the car sunday morning, drove it home and wife drove mine home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

JohnCleary wrote:
    Cash ftw.

I was about to get a bankers draft before from Permanent TSB. I asked about getting it refunded if I didn't go ahead with the transaction. She told me that the refund fee or whatever would be €1300 :eek:
    are they having a laugh....I asked the same question and there was no charge. AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Lex Luthor wrote:
    are they having a laugh....I asked the same question and there was no charge. AIB

That's a good idea!

As an aside, with PayPal if I fund the cost of the car with my Credit Card is there funding fees for me?

E.g. say the car is €10,000 and I use my CC to pay for this will 10,000 be deposited to the seller's a/c or will it be €10,000 less 3%?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Lex, that's pretty much what I was after. Thanks a mil!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cash or in bank transfer are the only methods Id use. Cheques can bounce. Drafts can be fakes!
    If you aren't sure what method to use then ask the buyer before making the effort to get to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

airport banks are open 24 hours, when we were tangling in the greys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement