Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2007, your favourites?

• 14-02-2007 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

Well im more than a bit excited about the up-coming cricket mayhem :D, i fear my college life is going to grind to an abrupt halt once these matches start.

So, anyone care to hazard any predictions? Favorites for me have to be SA and not only because its my team, but because they are in unreal form at the moment. With Ntini and Pollock firing as they are, and the support of possibly the best fielding team in the world i say we have really good chance.

Australias batting line up does worry me a wee bit, they are very strong, but i believe if anyone can beat them it will be the Safa's. New Zealand have been in good form but Astle is gone which is a blow, they may be a tough match but i dont see them in the finals.

Damn i cant wait :-D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

sri lanka or new zealand would be a good eachway bet, the south africans could do it, i'm going to stick my neck out and say the aussies won't win it. :eek: but of course it's all going to be about ireland getting through to the super 8s, after we demolish zimbabwe we'll beat pakistan on saint patricks day and then get a duckworth lewis win over the windies causing much anguish for those including myself who have foolishly only booked the first 2 weeks in jamaica!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sportaholic

The standard of one day cricket is not that great at the moment so it could be anyone really. Australia as always will be the team to beat but like dereko1969 I think they will not have it all their own way (hopefully anyway). If Symonds is not fit he is a huge loss for them.

SA are on cracking form but mostly playing at home for the last few months so I'm not so sure about them. WI at home might be worth a bet, England will probably go back to the poor early form shown in Australia and Pakistan look a mess in SA atm.

NZ looked poor in the recent series, India are hugely talented but are fragile so basically I have no idea who will win it :D

Hopefully there will be a shock or two in the group games, it's going to be a great few weeks cricket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Crisis we hammered Pakistan today :D, startin to feel bad for them.
    Anywho, ye WI could be a force but i dont see them having the consistency needed to win.
    England dont have a hope, i would say SA/AUS/NZ and maybe India fighting for a spot in the finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Conditions won't suit an Asian team, I feel. India and Pakistan have not won an ODI series recently in WI, SL did, but that was only a 2 match series.

Ever since Buchanan opened his gob, I feel the Aussies will not win this. They'll get beat in the semis.

I would fancy WI in their own backyard, a semi place I'd say... SA, like England, need to keep momentum up. If either side a still on a roll come late April.

One thing that might upset the apple cart for Endurance Man is that the wickets will not be condusive to 450 off 50 overs, like what they've been used to, in the last year playing at home.

May I be bold enough to suggest a SA-Eng final?

This will not be a straight forward series. Can't wait :)

Well Lee might be out :P, injured during practice, have to wait and see. They are also going to be missing Ponting and Gilchrist for there warmups.
    NZ are gonna be missing one of there fast bowlers to, cant remember his name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Well im more than a bit excited about the up-coming cricket mayhem :D, i fear my college life is going to grind to an abrupt halt once these matches start.

So, anyone care to hazard any predictions? Favorites for me have to be SA and not only because its my team, but because they are in unreal form at the moment. With Ntini and Pollock firing as they are, and the support of possibly the best fielding team in the world i say we have really good chance.

Australias batting line up does worry me a wee bit, they are very strong, but i believe if anyone can beat them it will be the Safa's. New Zealand have been in good form but Astle is gone which is a blow, they may be a tough match but i dont see them in the finals.

Damn i cant wait :-D.
    5-1 with PP

*money where your mouth is time*;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

i have to admit I know very little about cricket only figured out the rules in the past year but i backed england 2 weeks ago at 16/1 they are now 15/2 so hope they get to at least the semis so i can lay it off nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I have a tenner each way on the Kiwi's at 9/1

county wrote:
    5-1 with PP

down to 4-1 now with the aussies at 2-1 from 6-4

Excuse the ignorance but who is PP ^^? I am actually planning on betting on this ol World cup, first time betting actually. Anyone got any recomendations for a decent online betting site?

Cheers

PS: SA for the win :D.

• Advertisement

Paddy Power, I'd say, and paddypower.com

KevIRL wrote:
    I have a tenner each way on the Kiwi's at 9/1
    went for the same bet myself,a bit of value and in good form atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

brett lee is now definitely out of the world cup
    http://www.ireland.com/sports/other/2007/0223/1172184928776.html

reckon the aussies have no hope now. think i'll put some money on the black caps now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭sportaholic

dereko1969 wrote:
    reckon the aussies have no hope now. think i'll put some money on the black caps now.

I reckon they are still slight favourites, but if Ponting is the next to fall then it's all over for them.

Gonna stick a tenner on WI

Loads of interesting bets on Paddy Power, the list is below, but my choice bets are bold

Outright Betting
    Group Betting
    Top Tournament Runscorer Ponting 6/1 .... Pietersen at 18/1 is tempting... as is Lara at 25/1
    Top Tournament Wicket Taker
    Top Sri Lankan Runscorer
    Top Indian Runscorer
    Top England Runscorer
    Top Pakistan Runscorer
    Top South African Runscorer
    Top New Zealand Runscorer
    Top West Indies Runscorer
    Top England Wicket Taker
    England Stage of Elimination Semi-Final 4/1 ...
    Highest Team Score of the Tournament
    Lowest Team Score of the Tournament Bermuda 7/4 if you are laying against Ireland FOR SHAME 8/1...
    Group Winner
    1st to 50 Joyce 100/30 for England.... playing NZ in first game, GET ON IT!!
    1st Wicket
    Most Wides

Gonna stick a tenner on WI

Might be wise to revise that bet.... their warm-up didn't even build a sweat!

West Indies 85 (25.5 ov)
    India 86/1 (18.3 ov)

India won by 9 wickets (with 189 balls remaining)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

DMC wrote:
    Might be wise to revise that bet.... their warm-up didn't even build a sweat!
    Yeah but theres so many bipolar teams in the tournament that you'd just never know. With Pakistan, India, WI and England even, its almost impossible to forecast how they'll do. On their day there all world beaters but on an off day they're all out < 100.

I hear ye, totally right, but that looked bad today. SA turned in another iffy result too. My bet on Joyce doesn't look too solid either :D But, its a 14 a side warm-up, you might read too much into it, but maybe not.

Advertisement