Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16.7 vs. 16.2 million colours

Options
  • 14-02-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

At the moment dabs.ie are selling a HannsG 19" widescreen monitor for €171.

The spec isn't top of the range but the price and reviews are pretty good.

It only displays 16.2 mill colours according to the spec. I would be using it for design work primarily so I was wondering if the half a million colours less noticeable in design work?

I've never seen a 16.2 million colour monitor to compare.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you are professionally serious about colour reproduction then a display that does the full 16.7 is a must or at least that's what those in the industry say.

Displays that do 16.2 emulate/dither the remaining colours and while some are very good at this which means regular users will never notice the difference pro's that rely on accuracy may want to look elsewhere.

Take a look at Anandtechs LCD buyers guide scroll down to the buyers recommendations and under the desktop publishing/photo editing section you can see that 16.2 displays are not recommend for that line of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

dont cut corners on displays when doing design work, Try and get a top quality monitor, also the higher the resolution the better for your workspace, if you move up to 20" you will fit a lot more onscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thanks for the feedback. I thought that'd be the case.

Finances are a bit tight and I thought this might be a decent stop gap until I could afford maybe a Dell 2007WFP or maybe a 24".

My IIyama 19" CRT died on me recently and I'm stuck using an old 17" Dell CRT (not even flat screen) and the brightness and colours are acting up.

I'll give this a miss anyway. Like anything I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks.

Advertisement