Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dun laoghaire trouble big issue

Options
  • 14-02-2007 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

today while in dun laoghaire a woman selling the big issue magazine robbed me by asking saying she needed a ten note, she was holding out a few a load of 2 and one euro cons giving me the impression that she was going to give that to me in exchange for then 10 but then se just pocked the 10 and game a pile of coins that amounted to less than 3 euro then just tryed to fob me off with one of the magazines when i asked for my 10 back, had any had this happen to them in dun laoghaire?
    its just one particular young woman walking around selling big issue magazine, im sure the rest off them are ok, i probably would have spoke up mor but i was wearing my school uniform and if anyone watching confused the situation i may hve appeared to be the bad guy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Tell your parents and go back there and see if she is there. If she is call the police and have her arrested. Then never give your money to these women again. They are not nice people. Learn a lesson too - if someone screws you over make a scene. These people get away with things like this because Irish people dont make a scene.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

kurisu wrote:
    today while in dun laoghaire a woman selling the big issue magazine robbed me by asking saying she needed a ten note, she was holding out a few a load of 2 and one euro cons giving me the impression that she was going to give that to me in exchange for then 10 but then se just pocked the 10 and game a pile of coins that amounted to less than 3 euro then just tryed to fob me off with one of the magazines when i asked for my 10 back, had any had this happen to them in dun laoghaire?
    its just one particular young woman walking around selling big issue magazine, im sure the rest off them are ok, i probably would have spoke up mor but i was wearing my school uniform and if anyone watching confused the situation i may hve appeared to be the bad guy

was she the gypsie one, with the head scarf....

i'm in DL most days, and its got to the point that i flat out shout at her to leave me alone.

no prob with anyone coming here, but hasseling you for money every day is headwrecking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

right i think ill do that then, i wasnt sure where i stand since i just handed it over, ll jus head down with my parents later

yeh was ,the a young gypsie one. i think youd call it a headscarf its kinda blue and goes over her head like a hood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

kmick wrote:
    Tell your parents and go back there and see if she is there. If she is call the police and have her arrested. Then never give your money to these women again. They are not nice people. Learn a lesson too - if someone screws you over make a scene. These people get away with things like this because Irish people dont make a scene.

This is true , never give money to these people they are a blight. They have been doing this since I worked security in 1998. They are constantly giving the wrong change then feign no engilsh(or have none) when questioned or sigh as if they have no cash.

There are even some who take the train up to belfast from Dublin to do this Big Issue selling. These women are a scam do not give them money.

If you want proof go to the train station in Connelly at 20.00 they take the train around 17:30/18:00. If you live in Belfast have a look at the 6A Bus stop outside City Hall same time. This is a pricey trip so profits must be good ...

Feckin gypsys.. sorry they do annoy me

• Advertisement

ok , but i think i should emphasize it was just this one woman, ive never had this before really , and i think people should know just to avod that one person , the rest could be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

Serves you right for giving your money to a gyspie dog.

If people like you didnt give them money then we wouldnt be infested by those scum like we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

kurisu wrote:
    ok , but i think i should emphasize it was just this one woman, ive never had this before really , and i think people should know just to avod that one person , the rest could be fine

The most sensible post so far... fair play to you Kurisu. Put it down to experience. From the way you are acting you are going to be earning a lot of money and you will laugh about it some day.

Jocksy. Grow up. (You will be a taxi driver).

Jocksy wrote:

If people like you didnt give them money then we wouldnt be infested by those scum like we are.

You got blown out by one didnt you ??

I cant stand them myself .. but steady on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Utter scum.
    I saw one of these romanians sitting outside Dunnes on Georges St selling the Big Issue *AND* begging.

"Please....my baby! Please!"

Change the f*cking record.

If I see her again i'm going to note down her Big Issue badge number and ask her why the hell she is begging when selling the BI. No doubt the badge is fake and she probably stole the magazines off a legitimate seller who is REALLY homeless.

I'd love to know why these gypsies were never ejected from our country before Romania joined the EU. They're a scourge. And i'm not being racist because a> they're not a race and b> myself and friends of mine have been scammed and attacked by these people many times in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why will the cops arrest her? Its your word against hers, and for a few euro they wont bother.

I'd just go up and nut her, then go through her pockets for your change whiles shes in a heap on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Most of them are fine. Just never ask anyone on the street for change or offer them money in order to get change or expecting to.

eth0_ wrote:
    Utter scum........

I'd love to know why these gypsies were never ejected from our country before Romania joined the EU. They're a scourge. And i'm not being racist because a> they're not a race and b> myself and friends of mine have been scammed and attacked by these people many times in the past.

Is it because they are Roma Gypsies that you think they are from Romania? And how did they manage to scam of you and all your friends??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

That young gypsie has been around Dun Laoghaire for years now. There are a good few gypsies hanging around Dun Laoghaire, mostly older, but this younger one seems to be gaining the most notoriety. I have actually seen her being questioned by the Gardi several times but she is still around which is odd, I mean if it was a local skanger hassling people they would be off the streets in no time!

Anyway, I was waiting at a packed bus stop outside of Argos yesterday and she came along with her big issues. I have noticed in the past that she mainly targets men and it was no different yesterday, she passed most of the women at the bus stop and went directly for any blokes. Anyway she came upto me and asked if I had change of 2 Euro which I answered with a firm 'No' without even looking at her. Why is she being allowed to get away with this???

She is the definition of human trash :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's abunch of these ****ers operating around the middel of o'connell street.They come up to you holdingg a copy of the big issue and while they're distracting you a friend of thiers goes through your pockets.Dont stop to talk to them and dont give them any money.They're thieves plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

They are a race of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Jocksy wrote:

You name a Borat? Yes?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Jocksy wrote:

If people like you didnt give them money then we wouldnt be infested by those scum like we

Jocksy Banned for a week for this Gem.

I'd just go up and nut her, then go through her pockets for your change whiles shes in a heap on the ground.

Chucky the tree also banned for a week.

Lets keep this clean,Roma Gypsies rub a lot of people up the wrong way but lets be civil about it here.

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote:
    Utter scum......Change the f*cking record......And i'm not being racist because a> they're not a race......

Unbelievable. Shocking show of ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Omg, someones defending the Roma Gypsies...now I've seen everything.

Dub13: How clean are you expecting it to be?99.9% of people in this country have a problem with these people, have either been scammed or hassled by them at least once in the last month...so you're going to get a lot of angry people saying not so nice things about them. I'll hold my tongue though, I do have a huge problem with these...people but theres no point in going into a rant about it here.

OP: Not much you can do, just learn from the experience and never, ever deal with these people again...maybe then they'll f*ck off and leave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

rb_ie wrote:
    Dub13: How clean are you expecting it to be?99.9% of people in this country have a problem with these people,

Well for a start insinuating violence on any group of people is wrong even if you have a problem with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Dub13 wrote:
    Well for a start insinuating violence on any group of people is wrong even if you have a problem with them.
    Yeah I'll agree with that.

I have to agree with the mod. I cant stand all of them but a little restraint is called for.

My dislike is that everyone of these roma gypsies I have met I have not liked so if they where a company I would give them a 100% disatified rating. I wonder if they had no money how did they get all the way here ?

Regarding defending these people, I just hate blatant hatred and racism. Taring a whole group of people with the one brush is wrong. "gypsie dog, scum, human trash" It was not long ago the Irish were tared with the same brush. Some people still think all Irish people are "pykies". Part of becoming a wealthier nation is having people like Roma Gypsies coming to Ireland, it was only a matter of time. They are all over mainland Europe. The fact that we are only exposed to the ones that are begging is fogging our view of them.

I can understand the OP getting scammed, its not nice, he/she is a school kid, got fleeced trying to help someone. The reaction of the schoolperson was one of the most mature ones in the thread.

"i think people should know just to avod that one person , the rest could be fine"

This shows maturity and restraint. Some of the older people in the thread could learn from this person.

Regarding adults getting scammed, there is some streetwise tips to follow. Keep your money in a zipped pocket. Use indoor ATM's or use one with a friends back facing yours. If you give money to beggers, keep a Euro on its own in your back pocket. (ie, dont take a bunch of money out and pick out what you want to give away) Say politely and confidently "no thanks" to big issue sellers if you are not interested, or just avoid eye contact. If people display a baby to your admire the baby and suggest condoms. I often ask how old the baby is, admire the kid and give no money, they don't seem to get annoyed. (one time it was a doll!) Never oblige to change money. Never oblige to buy something in a shop for someone. Split your money if you have a good bit on you (if you get mugged, take out the fifty in your wallet and keep the two hundred in your zip pocket) Hold on your phone tight if walking and talking/texting.

lightening wrote:
    "i think people should know just to avod that one person , the rest could be fine"

Regarding adults getting scammed, there is some streetwise tips to follow. Keep your money in a zipped pocket. Use indoor ATM's or use one with a friends back facing yours. If you give money to beggers, keep a Euro on its own in your back pocket. (ie, dont take a bunch of money out and pick out what you want to give away) Say politely and confidently "no thanks" to big issue sellers if you are not interested, or just avoid eye contact. If people display a baby to your admire the baby and suggest condoms. I often ask how old the baby is, admire the kid and give no money, they don't seem to get annoyed. (one time it was a doll!) Never oblige to change money. Never oblige to buy something in a shop for someone. Split your money if you have a good bit on you (if you get mugged, take out the fifty in your wallet and keep the two hundred in your zip pocket) Hold on your phone tight if walking and talking/texting.

Good advice I will however just avoid every single one of them. Seems a lot simpler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

lightening wrote:
    If people display a baby to your admire the baby and suggest condoms.

Best advice yet :D

So how did you advise them when it was a doll :eek: ?

ODS wrote:
    So how did you advise them when it was a doll :eek: ?

It was outside the hairy lemon in the summer, she ran off laughing while everyone booed and laughed at her...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Treat people in the way you would have them treat you. Show Roma some respect and treat them like human beings. This is lesson zero of christian morality.

Fair enough think twice before engaging in cash transactions with them or before engaging in credit card transactions with nigerians but please don't step beyond this into 'they are all inhuman scum'. This is the first step on the road to human rights abuses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement