Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dun laoghaire trouble big issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

OTK wrote:
    Treat people in the way you would have them treat you. Show Roma some respect and treat them like human beings. This is lesson zero of christian morality.

Fair enough think twice before engaging in cash transactions with them or before engaging in credit card transactions with nigerians but please don't step beyond this into 'they are all inhuman scum'. This is the first step on the road to human rights abuses.
    This is not a Christian country - this is Ireland.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How long have large numbers of Roma been in this country now? 5 years?? a bit more? We dont have the long history of mistrust of the roma that mainland europe has but all the same in 5 years they've managed to make themselves despised by many (if not most) people ..even travellers seem to hate em lol.

Now you can bang on about how they've been persecuted for centuries but when everywhere you go people hate you, it might just be because you actually deserve it. Sorry PC people but sometime a spade is, in fact, a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

5 Years? No, a lot longer than that. I hate to bring it back to this, but there was huge mistrust of Jews in mainland Europe in the late 1930's as well. You can bang on about people being PC, but being persecuted for centuries because "you deserve it" doesn't cut it with me I am afraid.

"What emerges very clearly from the examination of the situation of Roma/Gypsies/Travellers is that they are the victims of discrimination and racism throughout Europe. While this racism towards Roma/Gypsies/Travellers is similar in many aspects to the racism experienced by the groups in society it has its own specific features. In particular the negative stereotyping and scapegoating of Roma/Gypsies/Travellers has a long history and their exclusion is associated in particular with a rejection by dominant sedentary societies of nomadism and its related values and lifestyle."

(Draft report for Conference
    in Leuven, Belgium, 17-19th January, 1998)

You are stereotyping Roma gypsies, you hear urban myths and stories of people being scammed, you see them begging, you avoid eye contact, you get embarrassed when they loudly beg at you call a spade a spade. Have you ever talked to one? Ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Christ, stop defending these people. It comes across as either a: You're a gypsie yourself or b: You're going against everyone else for the kicks.

These people are hated for a reason. How many Roma gypsies have you seen working jobs in this country? I've personally seen s.f.a, except one who works in the local supermarket but according to some people who know him well, hes an ex-gang member. Where do we see these people? Begging on our streets, picking our pockets, arriving at our doors with their hands out (despite having green cards), scamming us on street corners by pretending to be selling the Big Issue, trying to pressure us into giving them money by shoving their innocent children in our faces. They're also working our banks, scamming the cashiers out of money by creating havok in the branches as a distraction. In other countries, they intimidate people, they mug them, I've even heard of cases of sexual assault/rapings by these people in certain areas on the continent.

Personally I have spoken to these scamming f*cks on a few occasions, what a mistake that was. They either tried to guilt me into handing over my cash, or distracted me while one of their kids picked a mobile from my pocket.

Stereotyping them?THEY'RE ALL THE SAME. They're in our country, their husbands/sons are robbing our houses while we sleep whilst we sleep, while their daughters and wives come and beg or scam us on our streets. Think they pay tax or contribute towards our economy(bar purchasing goods and services)? Not f*cking likely. You show me ten decent, hard working Roma gypsies and I'll show you a thousand beggar or criminal ones.
    OTK wrote:
    but please don't step beyond this into 'they are all inhuman scum'

Lol, they may not be inhuman, but they're certainly scum.

I think we've found some RAR members on Boards anyway. I may come across as ignorant in this post, but I'm certainly not. I could give less of a f*ck what race a person is, or what community they're a part of, but I absolutely loathe Roma Gypsies. Again, you show me ten decent ones, and I'll show you a thousand scummy f*cks. It's certainly not a case of a few giving the rest a bad name.

I ignore these people when I see them on our streets, I have never nor will I ever give them a single cent.

Thats all I have to say on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Jaysus that's a lot of anger.
    Can't say I've ever had a problem with any of these people... no muggings spring to mind... The most annoying thing I find is the little girls improvising really badly on the accordion, and that's more an insult to my musical taste than my sense of security in the city.

Maybe I've just been lucky in my dealings or I'm too young to have developed enough hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Jaysus that's a lot of anger.

I'm not angry with the Roma gypsies, as I said, I ignore them so they don't have much of an effect on my daily life these days. I do, however, despise the shíte the RAR and the like come out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lightening wrote:

You are stereotyping Roma gypsies, you hear urban myths and stories of people being scammed, you see them begging, you avoid eye contact, you get embarrassed when they loudly beg at you call a spade a spade. Have you ever talked to one? Ever?

Stereotyping them? Like i said no-one in this country had any preconceptions about the roma when they came here, yet here we are after 5 years and most people cant stand 'em. We didn't have any stereotype before they came, The stereotype is the one they've created for themselves. So yes the spade is actually a spade in this case. In the case of the jews it simply wasnt, they were and are pretty diverse as ethnic group. but still feel free to keep bringing the jews up :)

and yes, i have spoken to gypsies but not in ireland.. so what? some of em are **** hot musicians, some of em are talented artists. The only ones i've seen over here are criminals IMO, thats not based or stories or urban myths it's based on what I've seen with my own eyes. Criminals who are making a tasty profit because people are afraid to point out the rather large elephant in the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

OP, I'd report her to the Big Issues office, they'll sort her out. Won't comment on the rest of the thread as I don't think it's worthy of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Bambi wrote:
    The only ones i've seen over here are criminals

Every single Gypsie you have seen "with your own eyes" in Ireland is, without a doubt a criminal?

That's amazing. Do you really believe this?

I do appreciate that some Roma Gypsies are involved in crime and scams (just like some Irish are) But for every one you see out on the streets begging, or commiting crime in front of your very own eyes, how many are sitting at home watching TV? Please enlighten me, you seem to know so much about the Roma Gypsies in Ireland. Where do they live, I presume in mansions with the tidy profits they make off people who are afraid.

Bear in mind there may people with Roma blood in them reading...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

lightening wrote:
    Every single Gypsie you have seen "with your own eyes" in Ireland is, without a doubt a criminal?

That's amazing. Do you really believe this?

I do appreciate that some Roma Gypsies are involved in crime and scams (just like some Irish are) But for every one you see out on the streets begging, or commiting crime in front of your very own eyes, how many are sitting at home watching TV? Please enlighten me, you seem to know so much about the Roma Gypsies in Ireland. Where do they live, I presume in mansions with the tidy profits they make off people who are afraid.

Bear in mind there may people with Roma blood in them reading...

Go away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Locked as this is going nowere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement