Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ditching NTL,moving to smart,preparing for war with bureaucracy

Options
  • 14-02-2007 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Right, I have decided to get rid of NTL's "6 MB" because of it's turning into a joke post UPC taking over.

I got rid of my eircom phone line almost a year ago and ported the number that was on the line to Blueface and this has been working very well through the NTL cable.

So i have a phone line coming into the house that isnt connected to anything. On the eircom site where you sign up for a new line it asks what the old phone number was on the line. If I order a line for smart BB will eircom take the number back and do i have to sign up for any eircom services when ordering a line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

AFAIK you need to ring eircom get the line activated and pay 150 euro deposit (you get it back when you close your eircom account). Then you get on to smart and give them the details of the line. Be careful though Smart told me that I could get their service so I waited for over a month to be told, actually we got it wrong, your exchange is not enabled. I eventually got the 150 back from Eircon after going to comreg. they do charge you line rental too so make the switch quickly. They do give back some line rental money if you swop or close the account and they have taken for the next month or two's line rental.

I hope that makes sense!

Ps: I thought SMART had gone out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

stebishop wrote:
    Right, I have decided to get rid of NTL's "6 MB" because of it's turning into a joke post UPC taking over.

I got rid of my eircom phone line almost a year ago and ported the number that was on the line to Blueface and this has been working very well through the NTL cable.

So i have a phone line coming into the house that isnt connected to anything. On the eircom site where you sign up for a new line it asks what the old phone number was on the line. If I order a line for smart BB will eircom take the number back and do i have to sign up for any eircom services when ordering a line?

You don't need a new line. You just need to get your existing line activated. Eircom just need to "flick a switch" but might drag it out.

If you are thinking of going to Smart after you reconnect your line, I would suggest that you keep your NTL broadband until the changeover has fully completed. Of course, you may not be able to afford the double charge.

It should take a day or two for eircom to reconnect your line. They used to be able to do it on the same day. To change over to Smart, I wouldn't hold your breath for about a month or two. Not all Smarts fault but...

You WILL loose your phone number so don't port it from Blueface. Get a new number from Eircom and a new number from Smart. When all is said and done, THEN port your blueface number to Smart [am I right, ppl?]

Almost worse case, you will be looking at about 2 to 3 months line rental from Eircom and the same from NTL. But it will give you no BB outages.

You will NOt regret moving to Smart, once it's up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Moojuice wrote:
    Ps: I thought SMART had gone out of business.

To be honest, that was because of VERY good marketing on behalf of eircom, Comreg and some other TelCo's at the time of the problems.

They NEVER went out of business, just scaled back a bit and became more realistic about their outgoings vs income.

Advertisement