Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT a damaged vehicle?

Options
  • 14-02-2007 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I'm after spotting a lovely 4WD track car in the UK that would be sweet to bring to Mondello etc., but also use on the road every so often (Hence VRT). It's had damage done to it (Cat D) hence the affordable price.

Question is, would VRT be the same as if it were in perfect condition? Is VRT cheaper on importing a damaged/repaired veichle (Since the value of it would be less) I wouldn't bother buying it if I had to pay the full VRT (Tis nearly the same price as i'd be paying for the car!) :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's pretty much close to the same as normal VRT on a good spec car, there will be little or no saving, won't be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

The VRT is calculated on a perfect car, This is supposedly to discourage people flooding the country with dodgy damaged repaired cars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A race car that's been w/o mightn't be such a good idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There goes my dream of zooming around Mondello this summer :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

Everyone and their granny was importing japanese cars for a while and now I think theres good value to be had without going too far if you want something for the track,
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&sortby=PriceAsc&maxrows=100&Make=Nissan&MakeID=20&Model=Skyline&ModelID=190&GroupID=738

Get an R33 Gts-t 250bhp rear wheel drive and cheap as you like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Aye unfortunately VRT is based on market value, not what you bought the car for.

VRT Calc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anyone know at what stage a vehicle becomes another vehicle, ie you have say a crashed wrote off Irish registered Ford Focus, you purchase a good one in the UK and pay no VRT as you are using it as the donor vehicle and transfer all good parts onto it, what amount of the car being transferred is allowed or is alsmot all allowed provided you keep the chassis/chassis number area from original car?

A while back people were transferring bodies from certain 4x4's from say a 1970's one to a 1990 chassis and avoiding the whole VRT thing once the chassis were original.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think the chassis is the key to that.

ID theft is a reality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

layke wrote:
    Aye unfortunately VRT is based on market value, not what you bought the car for.

VRT Calc

Yes but his point was that the market value of a crashed car isnt the same as a perfect one.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Double post - may as well make use of it now :-)

Did people on here before not say that their cars were inspected for condition by some vrt people?if it was a price based on whats written down why would they even be lookign at the car beyond checing the make/model/engine size and maybe mileage?
    Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Anyone know at what stage a vehicle becomes another vehicle, ie you have say a crashed wrote off Irish registered Ford Focus, you purchase a good one in the UK and pay no VRT as you are using it as the donor vehicle and transfer all good parts onto it, what amount of the car being transferred is allowed or is alsmot all allowed provided you keep the chassis/chassis number area from original car?

A while back people were transferring bodies from certain 4x4's from say a 1970's one to a 1990 chassis and avoiding the whole VRT thing once the chassis were original.

I think that apart from beign illegal it would be niiave to think that there wasnt a few cars flaoting around on irish plates that arnt the exact same car registered. ie someone conpletely writes off their Focus and buys another one in the uk thats the same engine size and colour and then simply swaps the plates.

• Advertisement

layke wrote:

VRT Calc

Tell me about it, I paid a very hefty VRT on my Beamer not so long ago :(

I might pop back into the VRT office next week and ask them myself, get an answer once and for all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

If its just a track car then why bother VRT'in it at all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I asked this very question in the VRO in Tullamore a few months back and was told that you have to pay the full VRT, but then you have the right of appeal to try and get a refund.

As I see it they will probably argue that in repairing the car to being roadworthy you will return the car to good condition and so I don't see much chance of an appeal being successful.

Is this the one your looking at? ;) or this ? No 4WD you said, maybe this? :D

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If the car is not for use on a public road - e.g. race only, trailered to/from, obviously, then you don't pay any VRT on it all iirc..........the clue is in the name - vehicle REGISTRATION tax.

You still declare it, and iirc, there's a special form and maybe a fee, but that's it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    If the car is not for use on a public road - e.g. race only, trailered to/from, obviously, then you don't pay any VRT on it all iirc..........the clue is in the name - vehicle REGISTRATION tax.

You still declare it, and iirc, there's a special form and maybe a fee, but that's it.

If you read my first post, you'd see that i'd like to drive it on the roads too!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It'd also have to pass an NCT to be able to be driven. race spec mightn't pass

Advertisement