Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PXE-E61 Media test failure error???

• 14-02-2007 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

i get this error message everytime i turn on my laptop:

"PXE-E61 Media test failure error", then its says something about exiting broadcom. my laptop works fine, i was just wondering what is this error???
    its come up for as long as i can remember, but have a feeling its affecting the ethernet port as i can only connect my ntl cable modem through the usb port with NTL. (although the ethernet port works fine when i connect to my dad's Irish Broadband connection). also i've tried to find out by googleing it & seems to be linked with a lot of hard drives failing but mine's never had a problem!?

was just wondering has this happened to anyone else & should i be worried bout it? and is there anyway to get rid of it!! I have a DELL Inspiron 5160 with Windows XP.

thanks
    matt

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

MattE wrote:
    i get this error message everytime i turn on my laptop:

"PXE-E61 Media test failure error", then its says something about exiting broadcom. my laptop works fine, i was just wondering what is this error???
    its come up for as long as i can remember, but have a feeling its affecting the ethernet port as i can only connect my ntl cable modem through the usb port with NTL. (although the ethernet port works fine when i connect to my dad's Irish Broadband connection). also i've tried to find out by googleing it & seems to be linked with a lot of hard drives failing but mine's never had a problem!?

was just wondering has this happened to anyone else & should i be worried bout it? and is there anyway to get rid of it!! I have a DELL Inspiron 5160 with Windows XP.

thanks
    matt

PXE is a method of booting an operating system over the network. If you aren't doing this, then there should be an option to turn it off in the BIOS. Otherwise it's harmless and can be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 MattE

i checked the bios, & the network card is first on the list, the hd is in 4th to boot. would this be causing the problem? terrified of changing stuff incase i screw up the hd or sumtin, as there seems to be a lot of people who hav problems with this error msg. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

MattE wrote:
    i checked the bios, & the network card is first on the list, the hd is in 4th to boot. would this be causing the problem?

Yup. You can safely move it down past the HDD. If you ever want to network boot (unlikely) just move it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Caligynephobia

My laptop is showing this error message and then does nothing else i cant get past it. Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

your laptop is failing to find windows on the hard disk so is checking the network as a last resort

probably needs a new hard drive

• Advertisement
Advertisement