Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a scam??

Options
  • 14-02-2007 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

How do.

Possible scam alert. Thought i'd let you guys know about it.

I've heard that these are doin the rounds, need a second opinion as to how legit they are.

We have found your resume at Monster.co.uk and we would like to offer you a job. It is a part-time job that consists of receiving payments from customers (through bank transfers) and then making further payments to our main office or to one of our regional affiliated departments, depending on the customer's location.

Your commission as an agent is 6% of each transaction. For example, if you receive 2000 GBP to your bank account, you will withdraw the money and keep 120 GBP for yourself. Your salary will be approximately 12000 GBP per year. The hours for this work are flexible and can be combined with any permanent or other part-time job, with an average workload of up to 10 hours a week. All additional money transfer fees and money transfer-related charges are covered and paid for by our company. Therefore you'll only be responsible for making the proper payments in time ( i.e. within 48 hrs of successful receipt into your account). Each transaction will be transferred only after prior notification, which will sometimes be a notification by phone call.

Our company's principal business is based on a peer-to-peer type payment network, this business model heavily employs all the latest internet technologies. We are one of only a few companies that uses regional representatives in its business operations. This avoids high foreign taxation and cross-board acquisition fees. If you are interested in our offer, please feel free to ask for details of the general provisions of the contract.

Best regards,
    Rita Widmer

their website: http://www.a-peco.com/index.php?page=careers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Are they asking you for your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not written by a native speaker, lots of English errors in that. Avoid. You also might like to do do a whois on the domain name. Hosted in Vilnius and registered in China. If they were genuine they would not need to tell porkies on their site. I regularly get emails to work for "finance corporations" and bin them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

smartblaa wrote:
    need a second opinion as to how legit they are.

Don't even consider it unless you want to face possible prosecution for international money laundering!

This is a common enough scam whereby international criminal organisations use innocent third parties to "launder" hot money by "filtering" cash earned from criminal activities through their own bank accounts.

Ireland has almost non-existent money laundering laws which is why we are fast becoming a focal point for such activity in recent years (particularly involving Eastern European and Chinese Triad gangs).

If it seems too good to be true it usually is!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I get similar emails all the time. I assume they are phishing for bank account details or if you contact them they will ask for an 'administration' fee or similar. Yes, Id say its a complete scam and would say dont touch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

This is a well known fraud , have a look at this , on no account have anything to do with it ...

http://www.joewein.net/fraud/spam-payment-jobs.htm#intro

What you would be doing if you went along with this is helping these people to rob other people and leave no trail , its money laundering and can land you in jail !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

If you check the registration data for the company's domain (a-peco.com) on whois.net you'll see that it was only registered on the 9th of February of this year.

Pretty strange for a company that claims to have been founded 10 years ago!
    I have too much time on my hands so gave the telephone number listed on their website (+41 (44) 586-5285) a call. It went through to voicemail after couple of rings. The accent on the outgoing message was that of a Nigerian woman.

Now, I am not expressing any racist sentiments when I say that we are all familiar with the preponderance of internet scams run by certain Nigerian nationals.

It always amazes me how people can fall for these sort of scams.

Advertisement