Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has Google messed up today? No 'L'?

• 14-02-2007 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There's a chocolate dipped strawberry where the second 'g' usually is, but where is the 'L'.

The stalk? I don't think so.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Very true, hadn't noticed before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Eejis! *

* purposely left out the 't' in their honour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Googe? Sounds a bit gross..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ha, good catch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Zomg!:eek:

I want to googe you long time *russian Accent* roffle harris! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I spotted that earlier alright, just thought the were puttin the g and l together with that chocolate strawberry...prob not though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just a screen capture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Excuse the question, but who googles as gaeilge? Do you get many returns?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The same amount of returns I'd get if I used Google.de or Google.it

I just use it As Gaeilge because the option is there.

I don't type my queries in in Irish :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

It doesn't matter what language you use to interface with Google (my personal favourite is 'Bork! Bork! Bork!', the language spoken by the Swedish Chef in the Muppet Show), you'll get exactly the same results. Hence there's no need to go to Google.de if you're searching for something in German, you can still use .com or .ie.

As for the logo, I'd imagine the green stalk is supposed to stand for the letter L which is usually green anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Errr, don't that green stalk on top of the strawberry look like the missing "L"?

Green stalk looks like an L to me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All over the place, people talking about Google (and having a look) ... and it will be in tomorrow's papers too ... and probably in the 'and finally' bits of the news.

A master stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It doesn't matter what language you use to interface with Google (my personal favourite is 'Bork! Bork! Bork!', the language spoken by the Swedish Chef in the Muppet Show)

link?

EDIT: nm found it
    Zee "I'm Feeleeng Loocky" boottun ootumeteecelly tekes yuoo tu zee furst veb pege-a retoorned fur yuoor qooery.
    Bork bork bork! Un "I'm Feeleeng Loocky" seerch meuns less teeme-a seercheeng fur veb peges und mure-a teeme-a luukeeng et zeem.

Feeleeng loocky? Inter a seerch und try it oooot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what missing L?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

Mossy Monk wrote:
    what missing L?

The one that's not there, silly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It seems the green stalk is supposed to be the L. This is from theregister.co.uk link bringitdown posted earlier:
    And now the word from the horse's mouth. One reader emailed Google to get to the bottom of this...

Original Message
    Sent: 14 February 2007 11:41
    To: Laura Ainsworth
    Subject: Google banner on Valentine's day

Dear Laura,

Hello there. I understand you are the Corporate Communications Co-ordinator for Google. Well, I have a question and I was hoping you could answer it for me. I am a frequent Google user, and I just clicked on to the site and noticed that your banner today (Valentine's day) is an image of a chocolate-covered strawberry.

Well, to me, it looks like it says Googe, not Google. I was a bit confused, so I showed it to some of my friends and colleagues, and they agreed with me. So I was wondering, was the stalk on the strawberry meant to be an L, or did somebody just forget it altogether? It's not very clear. I would really appreciate your feedback.

Best regards,

S*****

And the answer is...

Sent: 14 February 2007 12:11
    To: W******, S*****
    Subject: Re: Google banner on Valentine's day

You are right, the green stalk is indeed the 'L'.

This is a new and edgy design and i think it looks fab - i hope you agree

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Clearly the stalk, and part of the chocolate below it, form an L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Trilla wrote:
    I spotted that earlier alright, just thought the were puttin the g and l together with that chocolate strawberry...prob not though

That's what I immeadiately got out of it....the green stalk of the strawberry being the L, and the body of the fruit and the choccy heart as the G, obviously combined since it's the day of couples and all that old BS.
    It's artistic license and defo not a f*ck up in my eyes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

I love the way Google change their logo depending on the day. The best I've seen so far is the day of that artist Edvard Munch's birthday, they implemented his famous picture "the Scream" into the O's. Tis cool. I think the first time I noticed this was when there was a ribbon on the logo for World Aids day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Clearly? Its hardly clear at all now in fairness, considering this thread, and the rake of sites that have mentioned it today.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

would have thought it was pretty clear since the l is usually green and a g doesn't normally have a sticky up bit. if you merge the normal g and l you get pretty much the shape of what they have up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Blisterman wrote:
    Clearly the stalk, and part of the chocolate below it, form an L.

agreed, also, the stalk 'L' is green, I'd hazard a guess that the L in google is usually Green?

Honestly, do we really think that one of the most popular websites in the world forgot how to spell its 6 letter name...

..cmon now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I read earlyier today that its a reference to a old st valentines legend or something. Which makes sense to me considering googles other logo redesigns.

I'll try and find the link and post it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭derdoh

ChRoMeI wrote:
    read earlyier today that its a reference to a old st valentines legend or something.

http://thepugetnews.com/2007/02/14/googles-obscure-literary-reference-for-valentines-day-the-googe/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Too much time
    Your hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I've been staring at it for a while, its hardly clear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Gosh, don't you guys see the metaphor? The St Valentine's Day symbolism? OK, a stalk and a strawberry? What is a strawberry in biology? An expanded ovary. Do I need tell what the stalk is...? And you know what they say about chocolate...huh? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think the only viable answer to the question of whether its a f*ckup on Google's part or an incredibly obscure and questionable obfuscation of the letter L is:

Google is screwing with your head and successfully generating meaningless conjecture.

Here is Google's own mystic explanation as well as links to other theories: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/02/strawberries-are-red-stems-are-green.html

This has got to be the most pedantic debate ever, by the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

cornbb wrote:
    Google is screwing with your head and successfully generating meaningless conjecture.
    Naaaaa, Google is subtle and brilliant! I would guess that you haven't seen one of the most creative recruitment tools they use to attract imaginative people to their geek corp? A full page picture in university newspapers of the inside of a parking structure, asking you if you know the puzzle and solution. And if you dare, send them your answer. If correct (or highly creative), they will make you a job offer. In a very short time their capitalization exceeded Microsoft. Have you ever wondered why? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's clear that Google wishes you lots of googe on this special day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Gosh, don't you guys see the metaphor? The St Valentine's Day symbolism? OK, a stalk and a strawberry? What is a strawberry in biology? An expanded ovary. Do I need tell what the stalk is...? And you know what they say about chocolate...huh? ;)

The ole' stalk'n'beans jive, eh?:p Where the beans though? Will the stalk spill the beans if put under pressure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Terry wrote:
    Too much time
    Your hands

Coming from someone thats a mod thats funny.

The ole' stalk'n'beans jive, eh?:p Where the beans though? Will the stalk spill the beans if put under pressure?
    Play on "bean" word. Three different meanings. Ha! For example, if you use the meaning of the Irish word "bean," it puts a whole different spin on your message? But you know that already. Ha ha! Now your spilling the beans metaphor I'm not going to touch. Whoa! You should work for Google!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Drax wrote:
    They were used in previous years. They weren't designed for 2007.

http://www.google.com/holidaylogos04.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

They were used in previous years. They weren't designed for 2007.

http://www.google.com/holidaylogos04.html

Cheers Yeats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Some people got very upset over it... :D

<mailto:*******@yahoo.com>>
    Date: Feb 14, 2007 3:29 PM
    Subject: WTF
    To: **********@google.com <mailto:******@google.com>

Dear Google,

Your banner on valentines day wasn't all that clear.
    Was the stalk meant to be an L on the Strawberry?
    ****ing hell, you idiots, you're **** at this whole
    search-engine-with-a-personality thing. **** you. ****
    your search engine. **** your billions of dollars.
    **** the whole thing. This is the last thing I will do
    with this computer, I'm smashing it into a million
    pieces, all because of your ****ing strawberry. It's
    not a very clear strawberry, Google, you ****ing
    idiots.

--Hannah

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

People honestly thought that Google had messed up and didn't think the stalk might be the 'L'? Google, who require approximately a 98% ability from their employees to spot all typos and mistakes in their Google ads? The crowd with that high of a standard?

Think it's quite a nice little design myself so well done to the artist involved.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sent: 14 February 2007 12:11
    To: W******, S*****
    Subject: Re: Google banner on Valentine's day

You are right, the green stalk is indeed the 'L'.

This is a new and edgy design and i think it looks fab - i hope you agree

L
    fab - wtf? who says that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

kbannon wrote:
    fab - wtf? who says that?
    Laura Ainsworth.. a representative from Google. Or were you not paying attention? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

It doesn't matter what language you use to interface with Google (my personal favourite is 'Bork! Bork! Bork!', the language spoken by the Swedish Chef in the Muppet Show), you'll get exactly the same results. Hence there's no need to go to Google.de if you're searching for something in German, you can still use .com or .ie.

As for the logo, I'd imagine the green stalk is supposed to stand for the letter L which is usually green anyway.
    as one exmaple, type tax office into google.com and the australian one comes up top. on google.ie, revenue.ie comes up top. there is a difference

Advertisement