Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare Key/fob for Nissan Primera

Options
  • 14-02-2007 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello

Anyone know where I can get a spare key cut for my Nissan Primera 1.6 2000 (car has immobiliser).
    Key consist of a metal blade and electronic fob which controls central locks and alarm.

Ideally I’d like to get spare key and fob, however just a key with immobiliser transponder would be OK.

Nissan dealer charges around 190 euro for spare key and fob. Any suggestions where it can be done cheaper? Is there any point in buying the electronic key fob with a blank key on Ebay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

Do you have a broken key also? I recently had to take my 2 keys apart and put the goods bits of each into one to make 1 working key that allowed remote un/locking.

There are some UK sites that will replace keys at a cheaper price than main dealers - try Google.

Worth trying some of the better locksmiths also. Think I have seen some of them offer this service...or they will point you in right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

If your car has NATS (Nissan Anti-Theft System), you can get a key cut but it won't start your car. Nissan does not use a conventional immobiliser system, each key has a unique NATS ID, and the ECU and IMMU of your car has a record of what NATS ID's can start the car. As far as I know, these ID's can't be cloned to another key. The operation a Nissan dealer performs involves communication between your car's IMMU and CONSULT II hardware and software to add a NATS key ID to your car.

Long story short, unless somebody has a illegitamate way of cloning keys I haven't heard about (I've spent the last 3 weeks scouring internet, locksmith's etc.) its over to a Nissan dealer.

The fobs on ebay can be used for your remote controls though, opening/locking etc. You'll need to program the fob yourself, I can PM you the procedure if needed, though most ebay seller's include these instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

If the immobiliser still works in the key fob, place the key fob in the car and use a key cut by a locksmith for ignition.

I used this approach in a Micra fitted with the same immobiliser system. I bent the key and I got another one cut by a locksmith. The bent key was taped to the inside of the steering column cowling for the immobiliser.

It worked, but I was unsure of insurnace, as I "modified" the security systems of the car (if it was stolen, or hotwired as the immobiliser would not work). So I used the system until I got a key cut by a Nissan dealer.

By the way, before you do anything, try the second key. At home, the second key for all the cars are kept in a "secret" place. The second key for the micra hadn't been used for over 18 months, and when it was used, the car started, the "Engine" light flashed and the car cut out 10 seconds later. After taking the car to a Nissan dealer, the story was that the key had "Lost it's memory" and the immobiliser was cutting in. It was sorted in 20 minutes (for free!)

Advertisement