Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drugs test.

• 14-02-2007 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, gonna go unregistered for this.

Today I did a medical for a company that I have applied to work for. The medical is the last step in the recruitment process. Did the usual stuff in the medical; reflexes, hearing, sight etc... However, the took a urine sample from me. Now last night, I had a few drags of a joint, with cannabis in it. Just 4 or 5 drags, nothing huge, but still consumed the substance. They took a urine sample at the medical and I am wondering what kind of tests they do to it? Will they see the traces of cannabis in it?

Just worried about this and I know how stupid it sounds, but there's not much I can do about it now, bar switching the urine sample with somebody elses in the middle of the night, Mission Impossible style..

Anyways, let me know what you guys think..

Thanks.

NB: Hope this is the right forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

If they test for cannabis, they'll find it. There's nothing you can do about it. If you don't name the company (and don't) we've no way of knowing what they'll test for, and can only guess. Did they give you a form to fill out detailing what tests are going to be done?

you'll probably get more help in work or legal issues maybe- hope it works out for ya anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I know in the US, they do drug tests before they hire you but not 100% sure about Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'
    tbh wrote:
    If they test for cannabis, they'll find it. There's nothing you can do about it.
    not true.
    if the OP is genuine about only having a 4/5 drags. It is unlikely unless they have super machines that the traces of cannabis will be strong enough to detect. and i know that they don't have those machines.

Also most likely they were testing for illness rather than drug use.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not sure if you're applying for a job in a factory or where but I know loads of people who have applied for factory jobs and done the medical with marijuana, ecstacy and probably a bit of cocaine in their systems and none have been refused.

So not all places will be testing for drug usage - or if they are they may see a bit of pot as harmless.

I suppose it depends on what the job is really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

its mainly artifical drugs such as opiates and amphetmines that they can determine off the bat. Sorry for the bad news but the hashish will show up on the test :(

The test will probbley be returned inconclusive. That means to the doc that you have something but it isint in the top 5 that the test was designed for (cant remember the 5 drugs im sure a google would sort that out if your interested). If any trace of anything will lose you the job your in trouble.

For what its worth next time refuse on the grounds of privacy.

IMHO I wouldnt work for a company that administered drug testing its none of their business what you do outside of work

Anyway hope it works out for you mate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tensecyclist

don't have much to say. let's hope they won't be able to trace it so you could get the job:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If they test your sample for MaryJane, they will find it. It stays in your system for several days. Will it make a difference? Depends on company policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

did you know there was going to be a medical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

May depend on the company: like Anono is saying. Some co's may keep a strict family policy (all US grocery stores require clean urine periodically) while (such as factories) some are really just looking for disabilities: the urine test being a simple given of your medical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

not true.
    if the OP is genuine about only having a 4/5 drags. It is unlikely unless they have super machines that the traces of cannabis will be strong enough to detect. and i know that they don't have those machines.

Not really, if you smoke one joint they can detect it up to a week after if you don't smoke regularly. So 5 "drags" will most definately show up the next day.

To the OP, you really should have expected something like this. I know most places still don't test for drugs but you must have had some warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the sample may not be for a drugs test - they generally test for diabetes, kidney infections etc at company medicals. At the last one I did they just tested the urine with a strip of paper (litmus test?) and then showed me it being poured down the loo. It depends on the company.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think in Ireland they legally have to tell you beforehand that they are drugtesting you. Otherwise it isnt a drugs test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I think in Ireland they legally have to tell you beforehand that they are drugtesting you. Otherwise it isnt a drugs test.

Rubbish. He's not being stopped by the cops here - it's a company medical. If you submit to giving a blood and/or urine sample they are allowed make the determination on who to employ based on the results. They don't have to tell you why they're not employing you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah but if the company want you to submit to a drugs test during a medical, they have to make you aware of this beforehand for whatever reason. If nobody mentioned it in the initial interview then it isnt a drugs test.
    Aside from the fact that drugs tests are also quite expensive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You may get questioned about it if it was a drugs test.
    I know somone who was and the postivie was becuase they had been away for a weekend in Holland and someone else who's drug test results were 3 pages long and they had lived in Thailand for 3 years where you can buy a lot of things with out prescription.

Both these people got the jobs but there told they could asked any morning for a sample for a drugs test if thier manager felt that it was needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

Thaedydal wrote:
    You may get questioned about it if it was a drugs test.
    I know somone who was and the postivie was becuase they had been away for a weekend in Holland and someone else who's drug test results were 3 pages long and they had lived in Thailand for 3 years where you can buy a lot of things with out prescription.

Both these people got the jobs but there told they could asked any morning for a sample for a drugs test if thier manager felt that it was needed.

What? This is a really confusing read. I think what you mean is that most of comprehensive test results come back from the labs in three seperate sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Just had a lecture in college about this today. Apparently cannabis stays in your system for up to 56 days as the active ingredient THC is stored in your fatty tissue. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mysteron

Advice for the future;

I had a medical for a company recently and they asked me to provide a sample. I made sure i stayed off the weed for a few months before applying for the job so i was completely clean at the time. However, i went to the jacks before i left the house and couldn't go again at the doc's office. To my surprise, he took the container off me and said don't worry about it, carried on with the exam as normal and then sent me on my way without providing a sample. My months of sacrifice were in vein. There was a space on the form to fill in the contents my urine sample and i can only assume that he falcified this information cos i got the job.
    My point is that these company doctors aren't very thorough and often don't give a damn, so next time tell him you can't go and see if you get away with it. As for this occasion, the drugs will only show up in a urine sample if they are specifically looking for that drug , i think that the test is more likely to be for health reasons. Even if the doc does find it, he mightn't be bothered to tell the company about it. Once he's shown that your healthy he has done his job.
    Good luck, hope you get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just had a lecture in college about this today. Apparently cannabis stays in your system for up to 56 days as the active ingredient THC is stored in your fatty tissue. Sorry!

Only applies if you are what's termed a "chronic" smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

'
    not true.

Also most likely they were testing for illness rather than drug use.'

It will show on the test.

You know better king of kings ;)

'On a side note, what happens if they find traces of canabis? do they inform the Guards?
    Also what happens if you take a trip to Amsterdam, then have a drugs test two weeks later?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

On a side note, what happens if they find traces of canabis? do they inform the Guards?
    Also what happens if you take a trip to Amsterdam have a bit of a smoke, then have a drugs test two weeks later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

As someone pointed out earlier, these tests are usually for diabetes. You will generally be informed if it's a drug test and these are not common anyway, outside of the pharma industry. I wouldn't worry about it unduly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

ChRoMe wrote:
    ... drug testing its none of their business what you do outside of work

I'd disagree with you there to be honest. If you think about it in some case's it very much the employer's responsibility to insure their employee's are drug free.

I don't think that anyone would be too happy for say a pilot with a plane full of passengers to be having a nasty drugs habit and putting potentially a plane full of passengers at risk.

I have worked in the rail and offshore industry in safety critical jobs, where I was subjected to random drugs and alcohol testing. The rules were very simple if your caught you were immediately sacked & in the case of the rail industry (UK) the cops were called and you were arrested and charged with an offence and would get a criminal record, simple as.

It forced people to take responsibility for their actions, if you had a heavy night out, you couldn't come to work and of course if you kept doing that you would face disciplinary action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I'd disagree with you there to be honest. If you think about it in some case's it very much the employer's responsibility to insure their employee's are drug free.

I don't think that anyone would be too happy for say a pilot with a plane full of passengers to be having a nasty drugs habit and putting potentially a plane full of passengers at risk.

I have worked in the rail and offshore industry in safety critical jobs, where I was subjected to random drugs and alcohol testing. The rules were very simple if your caught you were immediately sacked & in the case of the rail industry (UK) the cops were called and you were arrested and charged with an offence and would get a criminal record, simple as.

It forced people to take responsibility for their actions, if you had a heavy night out, you couldn't come to work and of course if you kept doing that you would face disciplinary action.

We're probably veering off topic - but I'd agree with you that they should be mandatory for safety-critical jobs, but not for routine office work.

I would support the rights of an employer to be able to request a drugs test under clearly set-down conditions, like if I missed days with no explanation, or was asleep at work for example, but not random tests. Unless they can point to problems during my working hours, what i do in my own time is none of their business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Keep on topic people
    B

Advertisement