Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Politics Be taught at Leaving Cert level?

Options
  • 14-02-2007 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Well? I personally think it'd be a great idea, to get students in the right frame of mind for voting etc. Maybe have debates on isssues like Abortion, Legalising of drugs etc?

Should Politics Be taught for the LC? 21 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 21 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

The same thing pretty much, would be CSPE for the leaving cert.
    Personally I'd have no interest in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Personally, I wouldn't mind it as a subject at all. However, if it were taught, it'd end up being one of the crap teachers teaching it, which would annoy the bejesus out of me, which leads me to saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

We already have debates and discussions in religion of all subjects! I think it's worthwhile, but I do think that a Politics subject would be too difficult to examine. Too many people would find it easy to get A's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

There should be some sort of education on politics in the Leaving cert. Most leaving certs turn 18 during the year so they are able to vote. Why would there be CSPE in junior cert if they can't vote and nothing in LC? It doesn't make sense! Maybe should be incorporated into religion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Maybe should be incorporated into religion?

Yes. It would be more useful than religion anyway. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

No, Information Technology/Computing/Programming should be taught in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I don't think it could be taught as an LC subject. Alot of it is subject to personel opinion which would lead to a virtually incorrectable paper.

However, on a completely unrealated matter, I do think that the business course should be changed. Its my belief that the course should be halved and double the amount of material in whats left. Its absolutley ridiculous how vague some of the explanations etc. are. Its mis-information as regards to the real business world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I agree with Naikon.

I had a debate with my principal about replacing at least one religion class with IT.
    But because the Bishop says we must have at least 2 religion classes a week thats what we must do. :rolleyes:

Every other class in the school have computer classes but we don't because of study periods. And the IT classes themselves are pretty useless.
    It's a joke really how awful some people in my year are with computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

eh, can't decide... I'm stayin outta this one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 miabella

md99 wrote:
    eh, can't decide... I'm stayin outta this one

you politician! you don't need any classes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Now, I don't do any of the relevant subjects so I may well be wrong, but doesn't Religion already deal with morality-related issues, and History already deal with ... politics in history? And Geography has something about societies as well afaik... I think if a new subject was made it'd either be really subjective and vague and no one would pick it as Politics sounds difficult and requiring of essays to be written, or it'd be like CSPE and everyone would pick it because it'd be a dos.

Maybe they don't have CSPE on for LC because it IS too easy, anyway. I suppose they could make it worth less... like LCVP. Which sounds kind of CSPE-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Good point.

Modern history is essentially politics, but there was a very delibrate decision for decades by the Department of Education not to teach Irish History after 1916 as the Civil War has always been a very contentious and fractious issue.

I think 'Law' would be a better subject at LC level, especially consumer law and maybe Tort. At least you'd be equiping youngsters with knowledge that they could actually use in the real world.

I think 'Law' would be a better subject at LC level, especially consumer law and maybe Tort. At least you'd be equiping youngsters with knowledge that they could actually use in the real world.

Yes law should definatley be taught to senior classes

Yes law should definately be taught to senior classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Politics is an exam that you can take for A-Levels in Britain.
    Last year I was in Belfast for the open days of the colleges up there, and one of the courses specifically asked for Leaving cert students to take politics as a Leaving Cert subject.
    I told them that we didn't do politics and your one thought I was being a dumb blonde and said it was just my school. Like wtf?

I think we have fairly boring subjects... why can we not do health subjects, politics, socialology and all that you do for A-Levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Good god, don't stagnate the cirriculum any further! Politics is something you can learn in your own time, CSPE for JC is enough imo. If it were to be introduced for LC it should be optional.
    Madgal wrote:
    I think we have fairly boring subjects... why can we not do health subjects, politics, socialology and all that you do for A-Levels.

Because the Irish education system is a joke ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

Here the elections are up and coming -- start running for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

politics would be too topical and waffly. politcal science, might be an option but the trouble is a full class of intrested individuals would be required....chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I think it shud be but optional like every other subject

• Advertisement
Advertisement