Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first Triathlon Bike

Options
  • 14-02-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm going to start competing in triathlons this coming summer and need to buy a suitable bike. At the moment i'm a bit skint so the cheaper the better but if it is necessary i'll splash out a few sponds on the bike.

What i'm hoping ye can help me with is a bit of advice on what bike is suitable, where to source a good 2nd hand one and any other advice ye may have for me.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Are you a member of a club? There are always people in clubs trying to sell gear.

Another place to look is the triathlon ireland website. They have a message board too.

Good look with the triathlons. Which ones are you hoping to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭still

Defn doing one in July in Dunmore East in Waterford and if i have the time then there is 1 in May and 1 in June on in Schull and Valentia islands that id also like to do.

Thanks for that registered to join the triathlon forum earlier and waiting for approval and ill post there as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

the clubs/forums are the best place for a second hand one, you are looking at 300+ for a second had one and from 500 for a new one. wheelworx in clondakin/naas normally have a few trade ins going too. you just need a basic road bike to start out, trek 1000, specialized allez or giant OCR are good places to start. I have an OCR that I will be selling on soon, but it was 1k so may be out of your price range....

Another thing (not related to bikes) is that the popular triathlons fill up extremely fast. make sure you enter as soon as entries open.

<snip> .... double post, it's early :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

for advice on bikes and all things triathlon check out

http://www.trifuel.com/forums

That's where I got all of my help for my first triathlon. I used a specialized hardrock with skinny slick tyres, and there were lots of mountain bikes on the bike rack so don't be afraid to use one if ya have one. Spending €€€€ on a bike and then finding out that you don't wanna keep up the sport would be painful.

Yes, the popular triathlons do fill up quick. If you're gonna do a few this year, become a member of triathlon ireland. It's €15 per race for a one day racing licence if you're not a member, so you could save a few bob there.

Don't forget about a wetsuit too. I think all of the outdoor triathlons in ireland are wetsuit compulsory. If you're renting one each time that could cost you. I think the only place that rent out wetsuits for triathlons is cyclesuperstore (www.cyclesuperstore.ie) but last year they only had a few so i couldn't get one. I ended up buying a ****ty windsurfing one, which did the job, but wasn't very practical.

As for training, check out the clubs part of the triathonireland website (http://www.triathlonireland.com/staticpages/index.php?page=TIClubs) for a club local to you. Most of the clubs do group training, so this can save ya a load of cash if you're paying for swimming lessons, or just for pool time alone. Second hand gear should be easier to get through a club too as mentioned above.

Good luck with the training. They're a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Hi still,

A road bike will do you for your first few triathlons. Second road bikes are a lot easier to pick up than second hand TT bikes. Don't worry about geometrey, aero front ends or anything of the like unless you're a strong biker.

Whatever shop you go into make sure that you know what want before you go in. Otherwise you will end up being convinced that you need more than you actually do. Pretty much all the top triathletes in Ireland are on average bikes, and very little flash gear.

As the others have said join a club, you'll pick up tips, gear and training buddies. You mentioned that you were definitely going to do Dunmore East, I'll read into that that you're from the Waterford area. Waterford Tri club are nice bunch of people http://www.waterford-triathlon.com/

As the others have said as well races fill up quickly - but thats mainly only Kinsale (sprint distance in cork) or Kenmare (Half Ironman in Kerry). This year sees probably twice the number of races in ireland so there will be enough for everyone!

Last of all have fun!

Dave

Advertisement