Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good Irish web design firm

Options
  • 14-02-2007 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi, I work for a small landscape and planning company. We are in the process of choosing a web design company to revamp are out dated site. This may seem like we havent done our homewrok, but there is just so many web design firms out there today.I was just wondering if anybody could suggest a good Irish web design firm ,preferably in Dublin, that would do professional website with mostly static html pages but some pages being php for regular update from our office which would include work on current landscape and planning jobs. We already have hosting with hosing365 and have considered www.continuum.ie and www.adnet.ie . We are looking for a company that can create a clean, shape website that displays our info in a clear manner (i.e white space).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Personally, I'm not too keen on Continuum's work. Especially considering they've got black hat SEO techniques employed on their own website that could very easily get them blacklisted by Google. I'd hate to think what damage they could be doing to their clients sites!

Have a look at www.spoiltchild.ie, www.gravitate.ie and www.vitalspark.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Be prepared to spend a fair bit of cash on a site if you go with a large company.

You could get someone in these forums to do a nixer for you that would be just as good and a fraction of the price.

Im getting tired of hearing large companies charge €3000 for a 5 page brochure site (just my opinion, dont want to start a war :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Used to do a lot of work with Denobi, they're quite good. They do design and eCommerce implementations.

grahamor wrote:
    You could get someone in these forums to do a nixer for you that would be just as good and a fraction of the price.

Well it depends on what you're looking for. Any single individual who claims they can design AND develop a website using best practice - standards, SEO, accessibility... is probably taking on a lot more than they're capable of handling.

Lots of freelancers try to do it all themselves, and say that they can. The truth is that they cannot. Having said this, most large companies with pools of individual specialities produce crap as well. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I say nothing, all I say is make sure you have a portfolio of who your employing and PM their website to one of us, If you find a company, send me a link by PM, and I'll check them out...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If you're determined that your criteria is "preferably in Dublin", no point in me making suggestions, but I did see vitalspark mentioned (Ennis-based), so maybe there's scope to go beyond Dublin to get the right designer/developer.

PM me if you want to discuss this some more (I generally try not to actively advertise on the boards).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I can speak volumes about www.2bscene.net - maybe because it's my day job! ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

www.resonate.ie or www.ebow.ie (no personal involvement in either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

tomED wrote:
    The guy in your home page flash always makes me laugh, I think the laptop looks far to "phallic", if you know what I mean... :D

daveym wrote:
    www.resonate.ie or www.ebow.ie (no personal involvement in either)

Resonate's work simply isn't up to scratch. Companies that are still marking-up their websites using tables for layout shouldn't be selling sites as a professional service. eBow have the same problem - but only some of the time, which makes me suspect they sub-contract their web work. Aren't they a print company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Mirror wrote:
    The guy in your home page flash always makes me laugh, I think the laptop looks far to "phallic", if you know what I mean... :D

Hee hee see what you mean - if that's not deliberate though I'd get rid of it - could offend potential clients - I love it though fnarr fnarr!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

There are lots of options out there for you and it really depends on your budget. Some of the guys I've had the pleasure of dealing with lately (not necessarily to work with but I have checked out their work and I think it's good) include:

www.d3.ie
    www.redflystudios.com
    www.edenweb.ie
    www.spoiltchild.com
    www.themenace.com

I'm guessing websites from these guys is going to be in the region of 3k-10k for what you are talking about. You can probably get if for less but in my opinion and experience, you get what you pay for.

For marketing your website, I'll recommend www.redcardinal.ie - Richard should be able to give you some good advice and get you up the search rankings. No point having a lovely new website if nobody can find it. LD

Best of luck with it and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask! :D

Be nice to hear who you choose in the end and why you decided to choose that company?!?

Rgds, Dave

Mirror wrote:

Discussed here : http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5963

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

tomED wrote:

Hi i am in the early stages of looking to develop a site and doing research at the moment.
    Some very good sites in that selection. I have am trying to get a hold of what prices different sites would cost. Could you please tell me what the following sites would roughly cost:

www.123.ie
    www.thestreetgallery.com
    www.fixmytax.com
    www.buyingahouse.ie

Would the administrators be able to change site as changes were required or would there be maintenance fees charged in general ?

Is there any site that would be a ready reckoner to cost based on the different requirements one would have ?

Is there any conflict of interest in site design ? eg if an auctioneer in O'Connell street was already a client, would another auctioneer from the same street be allowed to become a client with virtually the same site ?

Thanks

Zakre,

It wouldn't be fair to divulge information on pricing here on a public forum.
    All those sites have different capabilities, so no site has a similar cost.

In reply to would you copy a local auctioneers site - we wouldn't do this for a number of reasons, but a lot of people would!

Why not PM me or email me through the email on the website and I can answer your questions!

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Tom in 2Bscene is easy to deal with and a true professional

I've also had dealings with quite a few of the other designers / developers and most of them are a good bunch - though you will find some awful chancers!

blacknight wrote:
    Tom in 2Bsceneis easy to deal with and a true professional

ah thanks - you're not too bad yourself ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

tomED wrote:
    ah thanks - you're not too bad yourself ;)

get a room you two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 5 Times

www.magico.ie

Won Golden Spider last year.

Finalist this year.

Excellent service, quality and value.

Ennis Based

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

5 Times wrote:
    www.magico.ie

Finalist this year.

Ennis Based

oh oh - i can see the can of worms already opened over the mentioning of those awards here :) (so people keep it on thread - OP was asking for recommendations - no bitching)

• Advertisement

5 Times wrote:
    www.magico.ie

Finalist this year.

Ennis Based

The Golden Spiders do not take quality into consideration:

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/webmaster-discussion/695-golden-spider-awards.html

As for their quality .. It's been debated a bit as well:
    http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2007/02/14/accessibility-ecommerce-good-design-buying-chocolates-online/
    http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2007/02/20/lily-o-briens-followup/
    http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/site-reviews-announcements/1324-new-lily-o-briens-site.html

It's 2007. Surely people should be taking web standards etc., into consideration when designing sites?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Laslo wrote:
    Resonate's work simply isn't up to scratch. Companies that are still marking-up their websites using tables for layout shouldn't be selling sites as a professional service. eBow have the same problem - but only some of the time, which makes me suspect they sub-contract their web work. Aren't they a print company?

says you? they are both well respected design firms, the fact you think ebow is a print company shows you don't know what you are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 daryllsheridan

jesus http://www.adnet.ie/ dosent format at all on firefox

What a shambles!

How do sites like this getting publisher (walmart in the states was the same rubbish)

34% of browsers are firefox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

34% of browsers are firefox

This this is all turning into a bit of a name and shame ...

but care to back up those stats ?

I just checked 3 of my high ranking sites and they've got 12 - 14 % firefox hits ?

edit: 88.2 percent of all statistics are made up :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Cheers for that :) but from a webdesign website ... I'd expect more people to use firefox ..

To quote the website ...
    W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭destraynor

Even if we take the lowest statistic doing the rounds and round it down, we're still looking at 10% Firefox, which is too big to ignore.

I have no problem ignoring IE 5.5 on Macs, or Konqueror or any of the 0-1%ers, but ignoring FireFox is wrong.

destraynor wrote:
    Even if we take the lowest statistic doing the rounds and round it down, we're still looking at 10% Firefox, which is too big to ignore.

I have no problem ignoring IE 5.5 on Macs, or Konqueror or any of the 0-1%ers, but ignoring FireFox is wrong.

Don't get me wrong ... I design for firefox ... then fix IE ... :) was really just curious where you were getting stats like that from :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 daryllsheridan

i wasnt trying to shame anybody

I was just in shock that a firm that designs website (professionally) has a home page that dosent format in Firefox - seems unbeliveable to me (and ive only designed a few web pages but i always dual check, infact i have a stand alone internet explorer 5.5 and i check of that as well)

• Advertisement

Advertisement