Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths Help

Options
  • 14-02-2007 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

im trying to do applied maths on my own but my school don do it so i cant get a mock paper for it. was just wonderin if anyone kept their mock paper an could scan it an email it t me or photocopy and send it t me. need all the help i can get. Much appreciated!

Comments

Have you asked your maths/physics teacher if they'll give you a bit of a hand with it? One of my teachers in school gave up an hour of lunch a week for 6th years to teach it.

Might be tough trying to learn it from scratch yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Your school should be able to make the neccessary arrangements to allow you to sit an Applied Maths mock exam. It's no problem for them to order an applied maths paper, as they're prepared by an external exams company and are corrected by people outside your school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

was gonna ask my physics teacher but he just became principal and s only teachin us da rest of the year as a favour. indeed it is tough, at da moment have only pinned down first 4 q's

was gonna except i left it too late, our mocks are over now in 2 days

Meh, I didn't do a mock exam in Applied Maths and still came out with a B1. Ask your Physics teacher anyways, as I said he might give up an hour a week (which isn't that much).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Same thing happened to me - the most incompetent teacher in the school was put in charge of organising the mocks. Never crossed her mind that peeps might be doing subjects out-side school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Shox I can sympathise with you! AP is frustrating but you will be very proud of whatever result you come out with at the end of the day, so keep at it!!

Oliver Murphy has a sample mock on his www.discoveringmaths.com website I believe which may be of some help to you!!

If your looking for two extra questions Q5 Collisions is usually fairly easy and Q10 Differential Equations is ok as well. Anyways good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Your school should be able to make the neccessary arrangements to allow you to sit an Applied Maths mock exam. It's no problem for them to order an applied maths paper, as they're prepared by an external exams company and are corrected by people outside your school
    Not necessarily.

And OP, why not just pick 10 random questions from different years and do that as your mock exam? The App Maths Course hasn't changed in.... ever... I think, so unless you've been doing exam papers like crazy there's no way there'll be 10 Qs you've already done. Even ask your physics teacher would he mind setting the exam for you. Surely it wouldn't be too much to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Not necessarily.

And OP, why not just pick 10 random questions from different years and do that as your mock exam? The App Maths Course hasn't changed in.... ever... I think, so unless you've been doing exam papers like crazy there's no way there'll be 10 Qs you've already done. Even ask your physics teacher would he mind setting the exam for you. Surely it wouldn't be too much to ask.

True the course has never changed.. i recently did a question from 1981 :eek:

Tbh id say you are right about suggesting to do random past questions because once you know the forumulae and methods everything is the same, just different figures.. most of the app maths questions can be sloved by thinking about them which is more than i can say for honours maths..

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    Never crossed her mind that peeps might be doing subjects out-side school.

Welcome to the world. Was she supposed to be psychic?

• Advertisement

Welcome to the world. Was she supposed to be psychic?

I assume you mean "the real world" ?
    There is a total of 7 people in my year doing subjects outside of school.
    Failing to at least inquire, is what I call incompetence.

JCB wrote:
    If your looking for two extra questions Q5 Collisions is usually fairly easy and Q10 Differential Equations is ok as well

Diffinetely do question 10 - it's by far the easiest on the paper.
    Personally, I'm doing 1-6 and 10 (Statics is my 'extra' question).

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    I assume you mean "the real world" ?
    There is a total of 7 people in my year doing subjects outside of school.
    Failing to at least inquire, is what I call incompetence.

No, I meant the world. As in it is time to open your eyes to it.

Seriously, how is she meant to know that people are doing outside exams? Do you think that she might have expected you all to grow up and make queries yourself?

oh i no myself, i left it too late to enquire about a paper, that was my own fault. about 3 weeks before the mocks we each individually were brought t confirm our leavin subjects, i added applied maths and that was the time i should have enquired about a mock!

Ya im just sartin q10 now, an so far the part a's seem to be fairly basic, i guess like every other question da b parts just take experience.

oh i no myself, i left it too late to enquire about a paper, that was my own fault. about 3 weeks before the mocks we each individually were brought t confirm our leavin subjects, i added applied maths and that was the time i should have enquired about a mock!

Ya im just sartin q10 now, an so far the part a's seem to be fairly basic, i guess like every other question da b parts just take experience.

The b. parts look intimidating only because of the way they are phrased. The long and short of the question 95% of the time is figuring out what the acceleration is, and if you can do that then you're sorted. Figuring out whether its dv/dt, vdv/ds is trivial - the only other hard thing is when they bring power into it and that in itself isnt that difficult. As long as you integrate very well you're sorted imo.

Apart from that i'd say relative velocity is the next easiest followed by linear acceleration. Motion in a circle or whatever its called is the devils question, I don't know wtf im bothering with it for tbh.

Advertisement