Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any opinions on which automatic I should buy?

Options
  • 14-02-2007 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭

I've badly buggered my left knee, and as I was thinking of changing my car anyway, I'm giving some serious thought to buying an automatic. Now I know some people here have views on small automatics, but I'm really more concerned about preserving my knee than performance, especially as I don't rack up particularly huge annual mileage and most of my driving is in the city. So basically all I'm looking for is a 1.4l hatchback no older than 2004, and I've narrowed the field down to the following (I know there are other possibilities but I've excluded them for mainly aesthetic reasons):

Honda Civic
    Mazda 3
    Peugeot 307
    Renault Megane
    Seat Ibiza or Leon
    VW Golf

Has anyone any particular opinions on any of these cars, good or bad, or know for instance that 1.4l automatic versions don't exist so I can exclude them?

Thanks

Zaph

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zaph wrote:
    I've badly buggered my left knee, and as I was thinking of changing my car anyway, I'm giving some serious thought to buying an automatic. Now I know some people here have views on small automatics, but I'm really more concerned about preserving my knee than performance, especially as I don't rack up particularly huge annual mileage and most of my driving is in the city. So basically all I'm looking for is a 1.4l hatchback no older than 2004, and I've narrowed the field down to the following (I know there are other possibilities but I've excluded them for mainly aesthetic reasons):

Honda Civic
    Mazda 3
    Peugeot 307
    Renault Megane
    Seat Ibiza or Leon
    VW Golf

Has anyone any particular opinions on any of these cars, good or bad, or know for instance that 1.4l automatic versions don't exist so I can exclude them?

Thanks

Zaph

I don't think any of the above mentioned cars come with an automatic box in 1.4 litre except maybe the old model Honda Civic and even that is rare. Most of them will be at least 1.6 litre or above with an auto. Toyota do the old model Corolla with a clutchless manual gearbox in 1.4 litre, it was called the MM-C or something, very rare again like most automatics of this size in Ireland.

Just a few examples:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=565067

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=581449

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=553106

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=565047

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=571924

Did you look at getting a converion kit fitted to a normal manual car so that the clutch and/or gears can be changed via a paddle shift fitted to the steering wheel? Will allow you to expand the choice of car you buy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bazz26 wrote:
    I don't think any of the above mentioned cars come with an automatic box in 1.4 litre except maybe the old model Honda Civic and even that is rare. Most of them will be at least 1.6 litre or above with an auto. Toyota do the old model Corolla with a clutchless manual gearbox in 1.4 litre, it was called the MM-C or something, very rare again like most automatics of this size in Ireland.

Did you look at getting a converion kit fitted to a normal manual car so that the clutch and/or gears can be changed via a paddle shift fitted to the steering wheel? Will allow you to expand the choice of car you buy.

Thanks for that bazz, much appreciated. Yeah, I've seen ads for Civics and also several for 1.4l Ibizas, so maybe my choice might just come down to those two. I don't really want to go any bigger.

I've never heard of the conversion kit, I must have a look around for that, although do you know if it's easily reversible as I'd be concerned that fitting one might impact the resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zaph wrote:
    I've never heard of the conversion kit, I must have a look around for that, although do you know if it's easily reversible as I'd be concerned that fitting one might impact the resale value.

Don't know exactly where you could get this done or how much it would cost but I have seen them retro fitted to cars to assist people with disabilities, people with arthritis in the legs, people with hip trouble or general leg injuries etc.

Don't know if they can be removed easily or at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The new Civic Hybrid (1339cc) comes fully loaded (leather/climate etc) and has a CVT stepless auto box - which can simulate a 7 speed auto if you prefer. And you could save on your fuel bills at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Automatic gearboxes need bigger engines with more torque, a 1.4L or even a 1.6L is not going to have sufficent power to effectivley work the auto box properly. bare minimum engine size should be 1.8L although 2.0L would be better.

I would recomend getting something in the older model 'prestige' range, something like a Saab 93 or a C Class merc, also easier to get in and out of if ya have a dodgy knee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Automatic gearboxes need bigger engines with more torque, a 1.4L or even a 1.6L is not going to have sufficent power to effectivley work the auto box properly. bare minimum engine size should be 1.8L although 2.0L would be better.

I would recomend getting something in the older model 'prestige' range, something like a Saab 93 or a C Class merc, also easier to get in and out of if ya have a dodgy knee

well I had an op on my knee about 3 months ago, and now I'm sticking to automatics too. Why 1.4? A Skoda Octavia 1.9 Diesel auto still does about 48mpg..........and it's easy to get in/out of.

....which brings us to the C class comment - atrociously small cabin. Saab a good bet - my brother bought a 99 9-5 turbo SE with full leather and auto for ....8k? - it does about 27mpg..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - If you do an advanced search on www.carzone.ie, it allows you to tick a box giving you only automatic cars in the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This does not apply in the context of a CVT box, which a lot of the smaller engined cars, like Civics, have.

JHMEG wrote:
    The new Civic Hybrid (1339cc) comes fully loaded (leather/climate etc) and has a CVT stepless auto box - which can simulate a 7 speed auto if you prefer. And you could save on your fuel bills at the same time.

Looks very nice, but unfortunately 32 grand is way over my budget. I reckon about 20k is as far as I can go.

Anan, thanks for that, I didn't notice that tick box before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

are you still stuck to 1400cc?

Fr'instance, there are an awful lot of E200 Merc's for sale for way under 20k. (I know, mine ain't movin' LOL.........)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Alot of small Jap import cars have autos (i.e. Micra (known as the Nissan March in Japan), Civics, etc.). I'm sure if you went around to a few Jap import dealers, you'd find something that you're looking for.

galwaytt wrote:
    are you still stuck to 1400cc?

Fr'instance, there are an awful lot of E200 Merc's for sale for way under 20k. (I know, mine ain't movin' LOL.........)

I might consider going up to 1.6l, purely out of necessity if it proves too difficult to find a 1.4, but as I mentioned earlier the car won't be used for much else than city driving and relatively low mileage so I can't really justify the extra tax, insurance and fuel costs that would come with a 2 litre. Of course if I change my mind I'll be sure to call you first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote:
    Toyota do the old model Corolla with a clutchless manual gearbox in 1.4 litre, it was called the MM-C or something, very rare again like most automatics of this size in Ireland.

THat was the MMT, and was only available with the 1.4 D-4D diesel engine.

It never really sold as it was a factory order.

Advertisement